Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FRS/GMRS radios  (Read 1842 times)
KD0EBT

Ignore
« on: June 18, 2009, 10:10:08 AM »

I've been doing some emergency exercises and gone to some presentations on EmComm. I've found that it would be useful to have a FRS/GMRS radio since some organizations use these radios (like our local Red Cross). I bouth a pair that were on sale.

My question is do I need to pop the $85 for the GMRS license or can a local ARES organization, EmComm group get the waiver for the license. I am having a hard time understanding the FCC jargon.
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 12:46:42 PM »

From the FCC web site:

"The General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) is a land-mobile radio service available for short-distance two-way communications to facilitate the activities of an adult individual and his or her immediate family members, including a spouse, children, parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, nephews, nieces, and in-laws (47 CFR 95.179). Normally, as a GMRS system licensee, you and your family members would communicate among yourselves over the general area of your residence or during recreational group outings, such as camping or hiking.
The FCC grants five-year renewable licenses for GMRS Systems. The individual licensee is responsible for the proper operations of the licensed GMRS system at all times."

Didn't see ARES group mentioned. It is for personal use, and the licenses are for an individual, but allow for an individual's family to operate under the same license.

Of course most folks with FRS/GMRS radios go ahead and break the law anyway. Still, doesn't make it legal.

de NA4IT
KI4OZG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 07:38:01 PM »

FRS is a license-free service.

GMRS is a licensed service for an individual and their family members.

It is as simple as that.
ALCO141

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 08:06:02 AM »

a more important question is are these frequencies scanable,   how would they be monitored, i think a while back i read of an organization that suggested a plan for the use of these radios as a communication method during a widespread breakdown.

alex
ALCO141

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 08:16:56 AM »

a quick scan i found this item on how to integrate the frs radios to the races system if all phone and cell phone communications are out.

http://www.w4ava.org/races/FRSfactsheetRev1Oct016.pdf

alex
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 06:15:41 AM »

Just use the radios in the unlicensed FRS mode for your emergency exercises and personal family use.

In an emergency that is a threat to life or property you may do whatever is necessary to get the message through, irregardless of whether or not you have a GMRS license. Under those conditions, you may use the more powerful GMRS mode without a license. Those are the FCC rules!

If you get a license you will be one out of probably one million FRS/GMRS radio owners that actually has one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: