Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tactical net handoff & procedural differences  (Read 864 times)
KI6JJS

Ignore
« on: October 01, 2009, 08:42:24 PM »

Hello All,

It was interesting that in a recent practice event we had a new Resource Net control operator, who had done a brilliant job and trained well with their old organization.  But a severe difference of opinion came up, and I thought it would be useful to see what the community-at-large felt.

When taking someone from resource net, and assigning them a tactical job, this is the flow I had expected:
Resource NC calls the operator, and issues location specific information ("X6ZY please go to 666 Benevolent St.").  Once the operator has arrived, they respond with an 'on-scene' and wait further instructions.  Resource net then informs the station manager that the requested resource is ready, and if all is well, issues a QSY command to the operator.

That is the point where we broke apart.

I had been using the resource net control(RNC) log as a replacement for needing to do T-cards, that is, if they were listed as active on RNC log sheet, then they were an item needing some level of attention in the field.  

Our esteemed new operator had a different method, his point was that he was running a resource NET, not a resource clearing house (or some such thing.)

The wording was this:
His: 'Please check out of this net and check in to tactical 1..' (with he assurance that a operator can only be a member of one net at a time)

Mine: 'please change frequency and follow the instructions given by Tactical 1 net control'

The fine hair we are splitting is, who 'owns' a active operator.  If it is allowed to go off the books of RNC, then how is the station manager to get this information?  If instead, RNC has all the activated operators on his books, how is s/he supposed to know which ones are to be tracked, and which are to be recalled, etc.  

In short, it seems that if there is no way for a T-card system to exist at our scale, we need clear ownership of active operators for if nothing else, shift planning...

So, soliciting opinions.

-Per
AB0WR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 08:11:50 AM »

"The fine hair we are splitting is, who 'owns' a active operator. If it is allowed to go off the books of RNC, then how is the station manager to get this information?"

You said above this that the "Resource net then informs the station manager that the requested resource is ready".

Seems to me that if you've dispatched a resource and attached it to a unit then it is the units responsibility to manage the resource and not yours.

It would be the responsibility of the station manager to determine staffing level rqmts, and to do shift planning, tracking, etc.

You wouldn't be able to do any of this other than by guesswork anyway. How would you know anything about what the station manager is doing?

tim ab0wr
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: