Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RACES Participation in SET  (Read 1119 times)
KE4SKY

Ignore
« on: October 02, 2009, 12:50:59 PM »

On Behalf Of David Jordan
Sent: Friday, October 02, 2009 2:29 PM
Subject: OFFICIAL FCC UPDATE REGARDING 97.113

I just completed a telephone call with Robert Kenny, FCC Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau (PSHSB) Director of Media Relations regarding concerns raised over the past several months by statements offered by FCC Amateur Enforcement Officer, Ms. Laura Smith regarding enforcement of 97.113 as it relates to amateur radio volunteers who are also employees of served agencies, etc.

Mr. Kenny informed me that the PSHSB has meet with the FCC’s Office of General Council regarding concerns that local government, hospital, etc., employees who are also FCC licensed amateur radio operators would be in violation of part 97.113 if those employees participated in drills and exercises (on or off the clock) associated with Auxiliary Communications Services provided on behalf of constituents served by those agencies. Mr. Kenny informed me the FCC Office of General Council's interpretation of the current rules would allow for the use of HAM radios during emergency drills or exercises, etc. (example the Operation Hazel II SET in Virginia scheduled for tomorrow morning).  He indicated that there would be no enforcement action taken if an independent party filed a complaint about the use HAM radios in this capacity.

Therefore, there is now no reason for any amateur radio operator to curtail their participation in exercises or drills related to ACS.  

Mr. Kenny also indicated that the PSHSB it would initiate proceedings to have 97.113 amended if/when a petition is filed by someone to review the current rules.  This may lead to better accommodations of volunteer ACS best practices in this area.

For those of you participating in the Virginia SET tomorrow please enjoy the event and gain as much useful experience as you possibly can from the exercise.

Best Regards,
David Jordan
WA3GIN
Arlington County, Virginia RACES Officer

p.s. Hazel II SET WEB SITE  http://www.w4ghs.org/Hazel.html

=====================================================================

Sent: Friday, October 02, 2009 1:29 PM
To: David Jordan
Cc: William Lane
Subject: Amateur Radio Follow-up - Emergency Drills

Dave, could you please share your contact info. I would like to give you a call today about the Drill for tomorrow and your HAM radio operations. We have a resolution and would like to share it with you. Just need to close the loop on one thing and then we will call.

Please let me know.
Rob

Robert C. Kenny
Director of Media Relations
Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau
US Federal Communications Commission
445 12th Street, SW
Washington DC, 20554
WZ9O

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 04:00:00 PM »

Emcommers are mentally disturbed people.

They live under the grand elusion that they and ham radio can save the world.

Take your meds then take a deep breath…the world will still turn and the sun will still rise without you.
EIRIKR1

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 03:42:07 PM »

>Take your meds then take a deep breath…the world will still turn and the sun will still rise without you. <

But the same can be said about non-emcomm people who complain about the emcommers. Yeah, ragchewing about your health problems, bragging about the time you reached croatia, japan, or peru with only x watts is such a big deal in a world with cellphones and email. At least the emcommers are actually doing something, and without them, the FCC would have already sold amateur freq a long time ago....
N4ASX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 12:29:03 PM »

It is important to understand that even if you get into ham radio for the purpose of supporting your community that you are ONE not a first responder, a firefighter or EMS professional.  TWO that because you can operate a VHF radio you need a little knowledge of the radio art beyond a tech license book to understand how to best use your VHF radio.  The phrase EMCOMM or EMCOMMER has come to mean a ham who shuns DX, HF and other parts of the hobby because emergency comms is the only reason they see for the use of the ham radio hobby or spectrum.  When I hear extra class ops asking about how to make a simple antenna it drives me up the wall.

I have been active in ARES for over 30 years, was active in CAP and MARS comms, so it's not about your certificates at the bottom of your e-mail that impresses me, but the number of times you have been a volunteer at everyday events.
N0FPE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 12:51:47 PM »

I think someone needs to read the Public Notice put out by the FCC on Oct. 20th 2009. Pretty cut and dried.
"NO" is the main theme. Unless a waiver is received period.
K2GW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 02:59:20 PM »

In light of the recent FCC ruling, here's my rule of thumb interpretation as to whether a paid employee may operate an Amateur Radio for the benefit of their employer:

The answer to participating in a "drill" or "exercise" is now "no it's not permitted, without a waiver obtained from the FCC WTB in advance"

The answer to participating in an "emergency" is "yes it's permitted, provided it's to save life or property in a real emeregency and other communications means aren't available".

A very simple way around this is to have those hams who are employees of one agency, such as the Red Cross, provide comms at another agency such as a county government EOC and vice versa.  

Who knows, they might both even learn something from each other and cut down on turf wars. ;-)

Gary, K2GW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: