Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Hams too reckless for EmComm?  (Read 1246 times)
WA4D

Ignore
« on: November 01, 2009, 11:12:22 AM »

Ham Radio operators are hardly the group to be providing "emergency support", when their ranks are full of dead people who claimed to be "safe".

With the death of 4 hams recently the same predictable rhetoric and platitudes pour out in the media.

4 hams were killed in a plane crash 2 weeks ago piloted by 69 year old W2GJ who is said to have been "meticulous" about his airplane. And that he could "function on 4 hours of sleep" according to another. [ Ask yourself would you let your children/grand children go up in an prop airplane with a 69 year old pilot taking off from a rural airport in the dark?] The wife of one of the victims declared the pilot to be "extremely safety conscious" [ Yes Maam and now your husband is dead]  All of this before any investigation has been conducted. The NTSB reportedly has ruled out weather as a factor. Could pilot error be a possibility? Fatigue? How many 69 year old men are in good enough shape and have the stamina needed to safely pilot a small aircraft? These questions should be addressed in the investigation. These deaths happened for a reason. It's not a mystery. Either pilot error. Mechanical failure. Fatigue. Or Incompetence will emerge as a factor or factors.

And how about those 3 dead people putting  up a Ham antenna down in Florida?  By my count the Ham Radio Body count is 8 since field day!

In Oct. of 2007 when 60 year old ham radio operator W4WYT crashed his home brew gyro copter, killing Judy Diane Albert, 43, of Christiansburg, Va. press accounts were similar. Pelt was said to be "highly respected".

Earlier this summer, "professional tower climber" KE4PM was killed while erecting a tower on field day. He was said to be very "safety" oriented and like the other victims above, was "very passionate about Amateur Radio".

And what of May 30, 2006? —Two  California  Hams died after the  vehicle in which they were riding during a mobile hidden transmitter hunt went over a cliff,  in rugged terrain near Lake Isabella in Kern County.

"Mike and Dave were some of the best T-hunters in the biz," said Scott Press, N6SAP, calling
both "true assets to this hobby."  Yep, and now these assets are Dead!

What do these hams have in common?  Committed to their hobby and perhaps their own egos. They all participated in dangerous activities. Yet all were said to be so "careful" and "safe" and "respected". And now they are all dead. [Correction: Pelt W4WYT was badly burned and presumably lived, while his passenger died]

There is more at play here than "freak accidents" as some said of KE4PM's demise. I look forward to the NTSB findings in the S. Carolina crash.

Public safety officials need to do  serious background checks on these EmComm groups (to  include random drug testing, and certifications) and their record of safety and training before allowing participation.  The public should  not be subjected to a group with such a safety record.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 07:49:12 PM »

I hope you meant this as a joke.  

I knew Pete and two of the hams who died in the SC crash.  Your remarks were crude and tasteless.

And your parallel between Amateur Radio and deaths is absurd.
K9RFZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 08:31:07 AM »

The absurd lengths some operators will go to trash talk ham emcomm volunteers is astounding. Three non-licensed people are killed while installing a ham band antenna, therefore the local EMA should perform more stringent backgound checks when accepting volunteer amateur radio operators. The lack of critical thinking by hams like W4AD should make public safety officials more wary. Fortunately W4AD is in the extreme minority and there are many civic-minded rational ham operators who build credibility with public safety officers through their professional attitude and consistently reliable performance.

Joseph, K9RFZ
KC7YRA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 09:04:24 AM »

WA4D,

This post was deleted from QRZ.com several days ago when you tried to post it.  Now you are trying it here is hopes of garnering support and making a minor name for yourself.

Since you demand on dredging this stuff up, OK.  I have been a firefighter/paramedic for all of my working life and even before, as a junior.  I have lost friends who were considered some of the safest firefighters ever.  Crap happens and to say that anything happens just because they were reckless is a slap in their face.

Get over yourself and realize that you have no concept of what you are talking about.  Yes hams have died.  Yes some have died doing questionably safe things.  But so has every other demographic of hobbyists.  Hell, We could all die while we sleep tonight.  Are you going to say that it was because we were sleeping recklessly?  Or are you going to attribute it to decades of eating fat laden foods?  What about the air liner that crashes because the pilot has a heart attack?  It has happened before.  Are you blaming passengers death on them being reckless?  Does it matter if it was at day or night?  What about the mother who is driving home and gets killed by a drunk?  Was the mother doing something reckless?  

Death is every much a part of life as birth is.  Some will leave before we would like them to.  Either by accident or design, we all will befall the same fate.  Why can you NOT just see the broader picture and let our fellow humans rest in piece?  I may be young but I have seen more death and destruction than you will ever see and I can safely say, without a doubt, that you are full of crap.  Now go find yet another ham site to post this drivel on and see what response you get.
WA4D

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 11:12:23 AM »

OK guys.  Let's just agree to disagree.

And if you find the discussion inappropriate,ask for removal.

Cheers,
mike/wa4d
K7VV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 09:01:29 AM »

Excellent thought Mike.

I ask that this thread be removed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: