Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EmComm Obesity  (Read 4364 times)
WA4D

Ignore
« on: November 11, 2009, 06:53:27 PM »

Looking through  past issues of QST, photos of EmComm groups are almost all full of obese hams.  There is an obesity epidemic in America and Hams are very much apart of that.

Should not these EmComm types be required to pass a physical and PT test to participate?? One of these slothful hams might drop dead in the midst of ordering more Cokes and Doughnuts for Public  Safety professionals?

The real "emergency" is the poor physical  condition many of these would be heroes are in. Public safety organizations should require Hams be fit and healthy and "at weight" or rejected for  EmComm service.

Do  your community a favor. Get fit or get out of Emcomm.
K9RFZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 04:49:37 AM »

PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS. JOIN THE EHAM MOVEMENT TO IGNORE SUCH INANE POSTS. THE MODERATORS WON'T POLICE THIS NONSENSE, SO PLEASE RESIST THE TEMPTATION TO RESPOND.

If you're addicted to this ham's contentious ramblings du jour, then email him direct. Let's all work to keep Eham on topic and relevant to grow amateur radio. If you feel the need to criticize me for this post, then do so directly (k9rfz@yahoo.com), but please do not attract attention to this original post.
Joseph, K9RFZ
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 01:59:06 PM »

Looking around while shopping at WALMART, almost all are full of obese shoppers. There is an obesity epidemic in America and WALMART shoppers are very much a part of that.

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?paged=4

Should not these WALMART shoppers be required to pass a physical and PT test to participate?? One of these slothful shoppers might drop dead in the midst of ordering more Cokes and Doughnuts for themselves?

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?paged=14

Do your community a favor. Get fit or get out of WALMART.

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?paged=7

BTW, picture of me and, I DO stay out of WALMART:

http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc296/kg4rulphotos/Western%20Shelter/?albumview=grid&fullsize=fwinterfieldday033.jpg
N2IK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 08:08:59 PM »

Fitness to perform the assignment is certainly one of the factors a leader has to assess when placing his volunteers. That needs to be considered ahead of their ability to do the communications job and have adaquate judgement and ability to work with others on the scene.

Leading by example and keeping the discussion focused on the actual requirements of the mission and not making value judgements may be more productive in the long run. You may need these less fit folks to perform other duties freeing up fitter folks to go out in the field under possibly adverse circumstances.

But you can't expect a sedentary not too mobile volunteer to hike in a long distance from his vehicle to the assigned location. You need to know each volunteer and their strengths and weakness and limitations in order to effectively staff your deployments.

If you drive away your volunteers without attracting new ones you will have no one to put in the field.

73 de Walt N2IK
WH2BB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 05:29:26 PM »

But you just replied.
PULLRAFTT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 10:20:22 AM »

by WA4D on November 11, 2009     

"Do your community a favor. Get fit or get out of Emcomm."

do YOURSELF a favor; buy some Grecian Formula for that hair of yours...LOL!!!

-zw
KC9HVA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 06:43:55 PM »

I just wonder how many of the hams out here have high blood pressure and they dont know it ?
KA6MLE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 10:27:42 AM »

I'm off topic, sorry.

Global warming is a farce

Thank you,
Jim
PULLRAFTT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 01:53:29 PM »

to the original poster,WA4D-

I see you put your HAM HAT on instead of using the Grecian Formula to cover the gray, LMAO!!!

Merry Christmas !!!

-zw
KE7UCW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 10:33:07 PM »

By looking at your photo Mike you seem like a pretty good bloke. But when you open your mouth it is pretty trashy. Even reviewing your webpage there are so many inuindos and complaining by you no matter what the topic. Why are you so disgruntled with society?

You know, this is a good conversation to have because this is a question that leaders in an emergency situation do need to take into consideration; where to place people by their limitations, etc.

But I truly think you could have used some pinach and oh, common sense to put it another way to pose this question. The goal when posting a question here should be to get people to be constructively involved with answering this question and not belittling people for who they are?
KB0RDL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 05:25:39 AM »

If you had weight and health requirements you would probably lose 2/3 of your participants, including me.  Several years ago I was at an ARES meeting where they were planning communications for a search and rescue operation.  I commented that it would be helpful if the group at an Emergency Medical Technican among the participants.  Someone asked, "what for?"  My reply that it would be in case one of us had a heart attack.  Face it.  Ham radio is largely a sedentary activity for middle-aged plus guys and I don't think that's changing anytime soon.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 05:49:07 PM »

It's just amazing how many can simply overlook the obvious.  In the event of an extreme emergency where all the food supplies were cut off, obese hams would be the only ones who could actually survive and continue operating!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 06:52:08 AM »

Just an observation here--why do you think the town, city and county agencies aren't falling for the emcomm 'we can' story?
N2HBX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 01:59:22 PM »

<Just an observation here--why do you think the town, city and county agencies aren't falling for the emcomm 'we can' story?>

Look what happened when we followed someone else with the "yes we can" line!!

Larry
WG8Z

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 05:42:24 PM »

Just an observation from several events.
 The above average body fat Ham's tend to be;
Better operators
Seem to be happier
Adapt well to situations
 The normal and below average body fat Ham's
Seem like their always whining about something
Can't seem to quite get their radio working right
Take every opportunity to criticize others
Appear to be generally unhappy.
Hmmmm
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print