eHam Help (FAQ)
Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: A new way to Fox Hunt...  (Read 2384 times)

« on: October 08, 2016, 03:06:53 PM »

A couple of guys here in west Michigan have taken a cue from a group of folks in Connecticut on a different way to hold a fox hunt.

It's called  "extended Deployment Fox Hunt".

Mike Hill, W8DER explains in this email:

Hi Michigan Fox Hunters, how about trying a new kind of fox hunt? ...the extended deployment fox hunt!
Our version of this new kind of fox hunt will start Monday, September 26th and continue for two weeks.
We expect the batteries to last!

Actually this isn't really new.  The has been doing this kind of hunt for two
summers now.  In fact, they have even been running this kind of hunt in the snow!  They are located
 in Manchester Connecticut and the hunts are generally run by Paul Gibson, N1TUP.  The Extended
 Deployment Fox Hunt has become so popular that they don't seem to have much time for the 2-hour
 hunt anymore.

We will try to run our local hunt much the way Manchester does.

The FoxBox has been placed as of 2:30 pm today, Sep.25, 2016. It is running 2
watts into a stock rubber duck antenna. Since their is no starting
place for finding the hidden transmitter, all you can do try is to bring-up the transmitter
as you travel around the community.  When you have tried a certain route with no success,
report your information with an email to the yahoo group.
Eventually someone will hear the fox signal and report their location and possible direction
to the transmitter.

Your first try may be from home. You do this by going on
the 2 meter simplex frequency of 145.530 MHz, key your
transmitter, ID and then send a DTMF "1".  If the FoxBox can hear you
and you can hear it, you will hear its very distinctive sequence of tones. It will
transmit for 30 seconds, ID and then go back to sleep. You can make it
transmit as often as necessary to find the fox.

Once someone has been able to bring it up the foxbox, please report
that information to the other fox hunters. Feel free to reply to the Yahoo Michigan Fox Hunter
group. Do not reveal its, location, just a location from which you are able
to hear the fox. This then becomes a starting point (and a direction if possible) for the other fox hunters to use.

When someone finds the foxbox, they should report the success and time
to the group, but not the location.   This
gives the other hunters time to find the box.  After all, we have two weeks.
This way everybody wins!

You do not actually have to touch the box to claim finding it. Eye
ball contact is sufficient. This week's foxbox is located less than 30 feet from a
safe parking location.  This week's foxbox is located somewhere in the southern half of Kent County.
Remember, to make the fox respond, hold your transmit key down and push the DTMF "1" button.

I was able to make the fox respond from my mobile rig today from six miles away.  In the Connecticut group, they
often start by testing along the expressway routes and reporting the findings.

Good luck,

Mike, W8DER,  Chuck AJ8W

You can read the emails of the Michigan Fox Hunter group at:

As a somewhat experienced fox hunter (over 200 hunts), I can tell you that I am impressed by this type of hunt. It works when a person has the time. And there is no reason to hurry. Take your time, learn your equipment, learn about multipath, whatever. A newbie is not going to feel threatened by the grizzled and sizzled veterans. Its at your convenience. I would encourage all groups across the US and other countries to look at this method. Its fun, and that is what it is all about.

73 de Tom K8TB

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 10:01:19 AM »

I've read reports of the CT group before, and it sounds like an interesting idea.  It assumes, of course,
that you can put out a transmitter for a couple weeks where it won't be disturbed.  We may consider
something similar, perhaps putting it out for just a weekend.  (The batteries should last that long,
even if it runs continuously rather than being keyed by the hunters.)

We've had good results locally using multiple transmitters (typically on different frequencies, though
they could be synchronized like a typical ARDF hunt.)  This gives hunters of all skill levels a chance
to participate:  beginners might only find one or two, but still get the thrill of finding something.
More experienced teams can see if they can find all 4 or 5 within the time limit.  (The transmitters
don't have to be as far away to keep teams occupied for 2 hours!)  Also, if they are hidden by
different people, then everyone still gets to hunt.  (I often hide transmitters, then pick up one
or more newcomers to ride along:  they tell me where to go, so we can still look for all of them.)

Another thing that has worked well is to use surveyor's stakes to mark the transmitters.  I write
the frequency on a stake and add a couple different colors of flagging to make it unique.  Then
the hunters only have to find the stake (which is much less likely to get disturbed by the public)
while the transmitter itself can be totally concealed.  That also allows for transmitters hidden
in places where it may not be safe to stop a car:  the hunters only have to see the stake and
can continue on without stopping.

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 08:19:33 PM »

Mike got me interested and started in Fox Hunting. It all started with his demo of Adruino projects he show at one of our Allegan Amateur club meetings. He suggested I get the Arduino for Ham Radio from ARRL. I got the book and built a fox hunt transmitter using a Baofeng HT. With Mike and Chuck's help we did a demo at our March meeting using 3 different foxes to give the members a chance to find them. In April we did our hunt. I was the fox and it was fun. Tom (K8TB) was the first one to find the fox. Some were within 300 feet from the fox, but said they didn't turn in the direction of the fox or they would have seen it.

I set up two foxes for Field Day. We had fun with that. I was not able to get out with the last one Mike set up, but I will make sure I go out and look for the Fox when he sets up the next one.

I want to thank Mike (W8DER) for getting me interested!!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: