The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hamfest Damage Report  (Read 3106 times)
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Yesterday at 07:51:32 AM »

In mid-July I will be off for my 13th visit to Friedrichshafen. Yes, it's the height of Summer, yes, the campsite is on gravel, but I will still pack a pair of hiking boots just in case it rains. What's wrong with a little mud?

As for cars getting stuck, I have a set of jumper cables and a tow rope in the trunk, like everyone should.

Peter DL8OV
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Yesterday at 08:53:20 AM »

Ah ha! That what it means. It's the Dayton hamfest thingy. Never been there. I heard it's pretty big.

Georgia skies are clear...finally. Cool temperatures too and for late May something's up.

1900KHz this evening for sure.

73 and wear your seat belt.

Kraus
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Yesterday at 09:14:17 AM »

Assuming preparation has started for 2018, what is the plan to resolve (or decide to ignore) these basic issues?:

• No AC
    Muddy flea market
    Traffic

73  Grin
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Yesterday at 10:25:23 AM »

There was no HVAC at the Hara, and we seemed to do fine there all these years.

Traffic wasn't a problem on Saturday once officials discovered what the issue was.  We breezed in with no problems.

The mud IS an issue, but I suspect will be resolved.I
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Yesterday at 11:09:49 AM »

Assuming preparation has started for 2018, what is the plan to resolve (or decide to ignore) these basic issues?:

• No AC
    Muddy flea market
    Traffic

73  Grin
The traffic issue has already been taken care of. 

The lack of AC was not a problem.  Contrary to what some naysayers who weren't there had to say.

Don't know yet what they're going to do about the flea market areas, but it hasn't even been a week yet.  Give them time.  After all, it will take at least another week before [ redacted ] comes down from his high tower and gives DARA the benefit of his wisdom on what to do...  sorry, I can't continue and keep a straight face...
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Yesterday at 05:53:23 PM »

• No AC
    Muddy flea market
    Traffic

73  Grin
The traffic issue has already been taken care of. 

The lack of AC was not a problem.  Contrary to what some naysayers who weren't there had to say.

Don't know yet what they're going to do about the flea market areas, but it hasn't even been a week yet.  Give them time.  After all, it will take at least another week before [ redacted ] comes down from his high tower and gives DARA the benefit of his wisdom on what to do...  sorry, I can't continue and keep a straight face...

Awesome -- problems solved!!
73   Grin
VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Yesterday at 07:36:30 PM »

I've never been to Hamvention, although I have been to many other (smaller) hamfests in the Northeast.   But I can appreciate how much a monumental task it must be to organize and operate this huge event every year, since I organize a modest annual indoor hamfest for our club in Ottawa Canada, with a mere 1/60th as many attendees as Hamvention, and even our relatively small hamfest takes a lot of effort to pull off with no major "gotchas".  And so I extend my congratulations to the Hamvention team for yet another successful year!

Now just rewind a bit and recall (or actually look back at old Hamvention topics in this Forum) what kind of feedback the Hamvention used to get at the HARA site: ..... there was a lot of excitement and enthusiasm, but there was also some unhappiness about growing potholes in the paved ares, garbage receptacles overflowing, mold in the buildings, lineups, no A/C in some buildings on hot days, etc, etc.  The successful planning and execution of an event of this magnitude is just awesome, and we hams should all be grateful that club volunteers around the world do these things purely out of a love for the hobby. That's not to say that mud and other inconveniences should be ignored or just taken in stride, but I'm sure the volunteers try their absolute best to make it an enjoyable event for all.  It certainly sounds like the move to the new venue this year turned out to be better than many people feared or expected.

Once again, my congratulations to the DARA team for a successful event!

Ed VE3WGO
N5PG

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Yesterday at 09:30:46 PM »

Any realistic estimate of the turnout ?
W9ZIM

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Today at 05:23:57 AM »

Any realistic estimate of the turnout ?

I'm not sure what you mean by a "realistic estimate", but everything I've read indicates that there were an estimated 30,000 in attendance.
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Today at 06:08:23 AM »

Past few years, the "official" crowd estimate was about 18,000 to 20,000.  Having been there, I think those numbers were on the high side.

It's hard to make a similar estimate this year, since the GCFG is laid out much differently that HARA was.  That said, my gut estimate is that the crowd was up for the first time in at least a decade, so anything around the 20K mark I'd be willing to believe.

Of course, DARA may be doing what MLB now does, and counts tickets sold, whether or not people actually appear.  I'd be willing to bet that they sell more tickets than they have actual antendees.
W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Today at 06:22:53 AM »

Hi,

I have not seen any numbers from this year from DARA, but past years are:

2012: 24,483 (DARA Meeting) The weather for this year was very pleasant with temperatures in the 80's and sunny all 3 days. Read the 2012 recap.
2013: 24,542 announced by DARA 6-06-13. The weather on May 17, 18, 19, 2013 was sunny and humid in the low 80's on friday. Saturday was rain and overcast in the morning. It cleared up around 11:00 AM and had sunny skys with highs in the 70's. Sunday also had highs in the 70's. Read the 2013 recap.
 2014: 24,873 attendence from their website. Friday was overcast with a high of 54F. Saturday got up to 58 degrees with rain, sleet, and hail. Sunday was clear at 66. Read the 2014 recap.
 2015: 25,621 attendence. Friday's high was 82 degrees F with 0.03" of rain, Saturday's high was 78 degrees with 0.03" of rain, Sunday's high was 84 degrees with 0.01" of rain.
 2016: 25,364 attendance

HAMFESTS

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Today at 06:58:05 AM »

Of course, DARA may be doing what MLB now does, and counts tickets sold, whether or not people actually appear.  I'd be willing to bet that they sell more tickets than they have actual antendees.

When I went to Hamvention a few times I would usually buy 5 tickets (two for people, 3 extra) just to see if I could beat the odds on winning a good prize. Sometimes it actually worked!
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Today at 08:53:41 AM »

Hi,

I have not seen any numbers from this year from DARA, but past years are:

2012: 24,483 (DARA Meeting) The weather for this year was very pleasant with temperatures in the 80's and sunny all 3 days. Read the 2012 recap.
2013: 24,542 announced by DARA 6-06-13. The weather on May 17, 18, 19, 2013 was sunny and humid in the low 80's on friday. Saturday was rain and overcast in the morning. It cleared up around 11:00 AM and had sunny skys with highs in the 70's. Sunday also had highs in the 70's. Read the 2013 recap.
 2014: 24,873 attendence from their website. Friday was overcast with a high of 54F. Saturday got up to 58 degrees with rain, sleet, and hail. Sunday was clear at 66. Read the 2014 recap.
 2015: 25,621 attendence. Friday's high was 82 degrees F with 0.03" of rain, Saturday's high was 78 degrees with 0.03" of rain, Sunday's high was 84 degrees with 0.01" of rain.
 2016: 25,364 attendance

When Orlando HamCation®  hosted the ARRL Southeastern Division Convention February 10-12, it posted a new attendance record. As a result of its growing popularity, the Orlando show may now be the third largest ham radio gathering in the world — behind the JARL Tokyo Ham Fair, with an estimated 37,000 attendees in 2016, and Hamvention®, which attracts some 25,000 visitors each May. This year, HamCation logged a record 19,000 attendees, up from 2,000 last year, moving it ahead of Ham Radio in Friedrichshafen, Germany.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Today at 09:37:40 AM »

That's the way to do it....have an event and put on the best show you can.  Orlando has a nice model, since most people are very sick of winter when Hamcation rolls around.  

Many want to get locked into "why Dayton?" etc, but I've always wondered "why only (for the most part) Dayton?"

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: