The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sure wish Dayton would move their date  (Read 4008 times)
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Today at 12:36:32 PM »

DARA probably did drop the ball with the Hamfest. Then again as lived near there in the late 90's and early 2000's I got the very distinct feeling that much of that area didn't want them. They liked the money, but would rather have had any other kind of event to syphon it from.

As to the Clarke county fairgrounds (Springfield), if I remember the geometry correctly and they haven't closed the facility there is an Air Force (?) reserve training base almost on top of it. What would be their response to the level of EMI generated by a hamfest. You didn't carry HTs with weak front-ends at Dayton. The stray RF problem would probably be an even bigger deterrent for the Dayton Airport buildings, assuming the airport is still operational.

As for buying Hara and fixing it up, Trotwood would have the last say there and I believe that the zoning requirements on the rebuild would be prohibitive. Last I knew, all that community wanted was nice fancy homes or a golf course. As I understand it, the owners of Hara presented an upgrade proposal to Trotwood and were soundly rebuffed. Then they just decided to milk it for cash and to **** with keeping it up and the like.

Dayton was a good fit for Amateurs for a while, but the community yuppified to far and too fast for it. Just like the rest of the US, Amateurs have no good reason to be seen.

KF7CG
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: