Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shelby NC Hamfest????  (Read 5505 times)
4CALLAREA

Ignore
« on: August 30, 2004, 08:56:37 AM »

Alright! It’s that time of year again. The Shelby CB Fest, and Computer Junk show! Hours of wading through piles of junk CB Radios, 11 Meter Amplifiers, tons of Motorola Business Band radios, and old broken down 386 PC’s.  

Why do we put up with this crap?Huh
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 09:51:15 PM »

The 48th Annual Shelby Hamfest

"The Grand-Daddy of Them All"

http://shelbyhamfest.org/hamfest.htm
WA4ZZZZZZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2004, 01:59:59 PM »

Our annual trip to the Shelby CB Fest produced nothing less than expected. Lots of toothless EX CB’ers (now mostly the No Code Techs) unloading their crusty, nasty CB radio trash. Not to be out done was the tons of old, dirty (come on guys, at least wipe dirt off the darn things before you display them) Motorola Business band radios. Jewelry, jewelry everywhere. 286 and 386 PC’s took the Center Stage in the tailgate section. Old farts wanting 80% of what a new Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu, or Alinco 2 meter rig cost new!! Get real!!!! The smell factor was still high though. I swear, some of these old farts must spend a week camping there, WITHOUT A BATH!!!

The only reason I continue to go is because HRO sets up a display, and usually have good prices. And this year was no exception. My hat’s off to HRO….

This event is getting smaller, and smaller each year. This is too bad. Shelby was once a great Hamfest in the 80’s and early 90’s. But now, it’s not worth the 2 hour drive.
N4VNV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 09:15:40 AM »

There's your answer, you continue to go!  I quit attending about six years ago because of the knee deep mud. The hamfest itself was fine back then, but you needed a snorkel to breathe because the mud was so deep.
N1OU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 02:54:56 PM »

Hats off to the Shelby club!  The "grandaddy of them all" was great fun this year and bigger than last year.  It has a huge flea market area which, by design, means you can sort through the junk if you feel like it or you can ignore it.  No-code Technician class licensees are hams, too.  I used to be one.  I had a CB radio back in the 70's.  I'm sorry if that offends anyone.  Our hobby is diverse and will change, just like we hams will change.  

I had to miss Dayton this year because of business, but I did make it to Shelby and I'm glad it was there for me.  I'll go again next year if I can.

Computers and ham radio go well together.  It makes sense to have computer vendors at hamfests.  I've struck up quite a few conversations with "computer geeks" who came for the computer stuff, saw my call sign tag and asked me about some aspect of ham radio!  They are potential hams, too.  Its growth.  I've learned computer stuff from them.

None of us can stop changes.  Every one of us can do our individual "thing" to affect change positively.  I like Technicians and computer geeks just as much as I like the venerable old timers who can do 30 WPM on a straight key.  There's room for all of us.

Gordon, N1OU
WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 01:00:31 PM »

I enjoy posting my callsign too.  At least have the gonads to post your call, if you have one.  But yes, Shelby has been on a downward spiral for many years, but they are not alone.  I used to go back in the 70's and you could pick up some good used or new gear there.  The WX stinks, its either blistering hot with 99% humidity, or monsoon-like rains.  At least you don't see Commodore 64's anymore, everyone graduated to 286 machines!
I was going to take a friend to Shelby this year, he is from PA and never been.  We thought the hamfest would be rained out due to the hurricane and elected not to make the 2+ hour drive, but we guessed wrong.
But those stinking old farts are the very guys you are spending you money and time to talk to on the air... think about it.
GHOSTRIDERHF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 08:25:49 AM »

I had a great time the last two years that I have gone... wish all the Hamfests were liked that ... picked up an amp and two more antennas at a fir price... and the food was good... but holy cow... some of the guys there hadn't seen a fricking bath in months... I mean when you can smell someone from across the road its time to shower...
KB8NJH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2005, 09:46:25 PM »

ENJOY SHELBY...GOOD FRIENDLY PEOPLE...

Stay home next year maybe I can get a better parking place...I don't care for the computer stuff
either...but dig and you will find a treasure. Somebody
must buy that stuff or they wouldn't drag it out...
I like old tube rigs, you may not, I don't hold that against anyone....More for me!....Hey if they guy is
a tooth or two short, who cares...If you would care
to get to know him, you would find probably the most
honest helpfull reliable Ham you could ask for...

DE KB8NJH
KC0KEK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 06:22:36 AM »

I'm considering attending the Shelby Hamfest this year because I'll be in NC for a wedding. What was it like in 2009 and 2010 in terms of forums and vendor/dealer attendance? Many of the posts in this thread and other ones are from several years ago, so I'm looking for more recent impressions. Thanks in advance.
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 05:30:52 AM »

I have been going to the Shelby Hamfest since the 1960's when it was in the Cedar Park about 15 miles north of town.  Sure it has changed a lot in the past 50 years (not necessarily for the better), but IMO it is still the only hamfest that I look forward to attending.  But then I like the flea market.

Dick  AD4U
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 04:30:31 AM »

4callarea and WA4ZZZZ are the same person.  Doesn't take a genius to see that.  Both complain, and the complaints are the same.

Hamfests, in general, are becoming things of the past as far as getting good buys from the tailgate section.  Everybody wants the most they can get for their stuff, whether it is treasures or junk.  Trouble is that 99 percent of the stuff isn't worth what is being asked for because most of the time the sellers base the value of the stuff on what can be gotten on E-bay.

I agree that the only worthwhile areas are the company booths.  Other than that, these venues are a waste of time.
K4KRW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 04:14:44 PM »

The Shelby Amateur Radio Club runs a very nice hamfest.  They always have good attendance.  It is a great place to run into ham friends.

Shelby always has a great flea market.  Is there a lot of junk?  Sure.  But, I also see a lot of very interesting parts and equipment.  And me and many others leave the hamfest with some great purchases.

Shelby usually has good attendance by major manufacturers and dealers. 

I also enjoy the forums.  I've attended a QRP forum that I enjoyed very much.  The last two or three years they have had a great D-Star forum. 

So, I won't miss Shelby unless I have another commitment I just cannot get out of.

Regarding prices: Do people ask too much for what they are selling?  Again, sure.  Well, just don't pay it.  Asking and getting are two different things.  If they don't want to take the equipment back home, the price will come down. 

On the other hand, some seem to feel that nothing is a good deal unless it is absurdly underpriced.  I remember trying to sell a very nice Oak Hills Research 100A (qrp rig) with an OHR frequency counter for a friend and having someone get all bent out of shape because I wouldn't part with them for $50  (I'm sure he thought I was asking too much for them). 

Richard - K4KRW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: