Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hamfest Cancelled  (Read 665 times)
K6LCS

Ignore
« on: August 24, 2005, 04:19:25 PM »

One shouldn't blame the economy and others' attendance figures for their marketing failure. Numbers of licensees are maintaining...We just need to market ourselves better and stop looking for scapegoats.

Clint Bradford, K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.k6lcs.com
KJ7YL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 09:58:35 PM »

Looks like there were several factors at work here.  From the TCFMC website:

"LATE BREAKING NEWS!!!*****
Hamfest Minnesota 2005 Cancelled
In light of the current economy of amateur radio, poor turnout at hamfests across America (even Dayton),
and the last few years of low response in our area, it has been decided to not hold Hamfest Minnsota in 2005."

KC0VCU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 06:29:06 PM »

Having been to a couple of the tcfmc meetings, one of the factors involved was the actual cost of using the facilities they have used in the past. At the very least, last year's hamfest cost more than it generated. In addition this year there appears to have been some administrative problems in getting things going.

Economics wise, you can't repeatedly run a hamfest that doesn't generate income without shooting your club in the foot. Granted the venue costs are part of that equation, so you have to decide if the selected location is the best place, and if not, where to go otherwise. At the same time, one of the reasons to select a specific venue is the ability of that venue to support the expected crowds.

Me? I would just like to get to a decent swap meet, or ham fest that doesn't conflict with my work schedule. Though the needs for that are not immediately urgent, so I can plan around it for next year.

kc0vcu
N4VNV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 11:55:01 AM »

I appreciate the "heads up". Please ignore the self-appointed "know-it-alls" and their comments. If they spent their time on their own business, maybe they could keep their electricity turned on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: