Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XYL-approved Dayton activities  (Read 1516 times)
AB3EI

Ignore
« on: May 22, 2007, 08:16:51 AM »

Fellow amateurs,

My wife has finally gone off the deep end.  =)

I've never been to Dayton.  Hearing some of the locals chat about it, and talking to amateurs headed west during drive time on our local repeater, I've decided that my Ham Hajj has got to take place.  If not in 2008, definitely 2009.

Now, my wife is not a radio amateur and bores easily.  She, alas, does not see the attraction in fiddling with, as she calls them, "boxes that go 'beep'."  (I'm working on it, though; I'm trying to talk her into contesting with me.  She's competitive, so that's a draw.)

Knowing my desperate need to make the Ultimate Amateur Pilgrimage, she has graciously agreed to accompany me to Dayton.  Now I need something for her to do while I'm getting my geek on.  We brainstormed a bit about attractive options for her, and the most credible was a nearby hotel that offers spa packages and the like.  She can sit in a mud bath with cucumbers on her eyes while I bathe in RF and corndogs.  With what I'm sure are many, many more spouses just like her indulging their husbands' lunacy, I cannot but imagine that places like this exist.

Anybody know of a couple of options?  Or more ideas of wife-time stuff?  Let me know so I can book for next year!

73 de Bob, AB3EI
HAMMERTIME

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 02:33:33 PM »

The best option I can come up with would be to leave her at home and travel to Dayton with some other like minded hams!!!
KD4RBG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 03:44:52 PM »

The best thing would be to take her with you.

My wife of nine years made every step I made at Dayton.

There's just something fundamentally good about doing something you've looked forward to doing and having the pleasure of the presence of the person who means the most to you in the world.

I can't imagine loading up with a bunch of "like-minded" hams for a ten hour trip like that, but any trip made with the XYL is a good trip.

Jeff/KD4RBG
AB3EI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 05:31:28 PM »

Leave her at home. [rolls eyes]  Gee, thanks.

Jeff, I'd *love* to have her come schlepping with me through the booths and fleamarket.  She would gladly do so, for a given amount of time. I'm trying to think of something she can enjoy without me, for when she gets bored of boxes that beep and people with little towers and yagis on their hardhats.  

I do treasure the time I spend with her, but I am also trying to be mindful of her lack of enthusiasm for the hobby.  I don't want her to have a bad time when I'm having a good time, because 1., that stinks for her; and 2., it'll stop me having a good time out of concern for her.  So I'd rather have her tell me when she's had enough of the geekiness(*) so I can take her back to the hotel/spa.

Know what I mean?

Bob AB3EI

(*) I mean that in the nicest possible sense.  She's an avowed geek, too; we've even played AD&D together! =)
N0RZT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 08:49:14 AM »

Good morning,

Here's the list of "popular things to do in the Dayton Area" we had handy during talk-in this year.  This is only the list of places; the details are elided...

Early Television Museum
Air Force Museum
Aviation Trail / Wright Cycle Company
Wright B Flyer
Westcott House Foundation
The Citizens Motorcar Company
Aullwood Garden
Carriage Hill
Carillon Historical Park
Clifton Mill
Boonshoft Museum
Yellow Springs (the village is worth visiting, but also has some specific sites to visit - Glen Helen, John Bryan State Park, Ye Old tavern, Young's Jersey Dairy)
Darke County (there's a BIG KitchenAid presence in Greenville - a huge outlet (I think they call it an "experience store", and I think you can also get a factory tour)
Old Tippecanoe City Restoration Area
Cox Arboretum
Oregon Historic District

I hope that helps.
Chris
N0RZT/8
AB3EI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 04:25:44 AM »

Thanks, Chris!  There are a few things on that list I wouldn't mind visiting myself, given half a chance. =)

More!  More!  More!  

There's got to be at least a *couple* of fellas out there whose wives have said, "You go have fun. I'm going over here and get a mud bath and mssage."  If so, ask her what the spa's name was and post it here.

Call it a support group. Wink

Bob AB3EI
HAMMERTIME

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 06:45:13 PM »

KD4RBG
  You are exactly correct with your statement and I agree wholeheartedly! However, the original poster has indicated that his wife in no way is interested in making every step with him as yours has with you. This being the case, unless they can find something really appealing to her that can last at least two days,I think my suggestion is the most viable option!
  Of all the options I saw listed, one word comes to mind, BORING!!! Not to mention how much traffic and aggravation it would be just to commute to these various so called "attractions".
  My wife has went to several hamfests with me and I immensly enjoyed having her along but she determined it was not her thing and has not been in several years.
  That is the only reason I made the suggestion that I did. But of course she can go check some of these things out and when she finds none of them are for her, you can implement my suggestion next time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: