Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dayton 2009 vs. Recession  (Read 964 times)
WB9YCJ

Ignore
« on: January 28, 2009, 08:12:44 PM »

Will Dayton's Hamvention 2009 turnout set a new record?
Thanks, Ken
KC9MXC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 10:02:55 AM »

I would think that with gasoline prices half of what they were last year, Dayton 2009 will once again be a hot destination for hams.

Sure the Hara Arena will be one year older, the "food" will probably cost more, there will be less "ham stuff" in the flea market and once more I'll be tired at the end of each day.  

I usually don't buy things on the internet because I like to see what I'm buying.  At Dayton you'll find all the major (and minor) manufacturers that are committed to supplying and supporting the ham market.

You can hold the newest HT in your hand, spin the knobs on the latest HF rig, meet with factory reps, gawk at the verticals, poke at the tiny QRP rigs, pick up a new project, attend a forum, and most of all capitalize on that special "hamfest pricing".

And when you hear that famous "what would you like for Christmas?" thanks to the latest product brochures, you'll have a ready answer (with pictures and specs!)

Even if Dayton never regains the glory days of old, it's still a virtual fire hose of information overload.  Dayton is a gathering of (for the most part) a very elite group of intelligent (radio wise) men and women who are on the absolute forefront of wireless communication.  Remember this "hobby" requires testing and licensing by the United States Government through the FCC.    

On display, and for sale, are the latest state-of-the-art communication devices available to civilians.  From 1.8 MHz to every thing above 275 GHz there's something for everyone.  We can talk on a mic, tap with a key, type on a keyboard, or just look good on SSTV.  We can transmit QRP with some batteries and a few millwatts or QRO and dim the lights when we key the mic.          

So get your tickets, make your motel reservations and get ready for May.  If it's been a while since you've gone, it's time again.  If it's your first time, prepare to be overwhelmed.  If YOU decide not to go then next year you can say that the attendance figures are "obviously" dropping.  Dayton is for us and by us.

Phil - KC9MXC      

KC9MXC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 10:10:29 AM »

Ken,

Just a clarification... YOU doesn't mean you, YOU addresses the reader!  

Thanks - Phil
N8DV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 10:45:54 AM »

If 2008 is any indication, the attendance was just over 17,000 2007, was just above 18,000. The 30,000+ days of the Hamvention are over. I don't think old time hams--that's me going every year since 1982--will see those kinds of numbers again. The 2009 Hamvention, I will be surprised if attendance will break the 20,000 mark. On the upside, you can actually walk around without getting crushed and use the rest rooms before they get plugged up! On the downside, because of the economy, past attendance and the expense, vendors may choose not to attend the convention which means less revenue for DARA and Hara Arena.
Just one small note: the Dayton area is pretty hard hit by the closing of the Moriane, Ohio GM plant and the closing of a Delphi plant so the convention income may be a welcome boost to the local economy.
KA5ROW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 06:54:16 AM »

I believe that at least the flea markets will boom with the Recession in full swing. People having some small credit card debt that is nearly paid off may sell some equipment just to get rid of a payment 6 month to a year early, just to free up some cash flow.

On the other side maybe that person was wanting a new rig may find the rig they wanted in the used market. And at decent price.
N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 10:31:48 AM »

Barring some major personal catastrophe, I'm going - one way or another. Hope to see all of you there, too.

73 de N8AUC
Eric
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 12:56:41 AM »

I am projecting a massive government bailout will ensure Dayton will have it's best year ever!

73 de Charles - KC8VWM
W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 06:21:50 PM »

I don't care if attendance drops to 10,000, as long as the flea market is full of bargains! Well I don't see as many as 20 years ago but I think I will be there, as usual. Maybe fallen gas prices and dipping economy will cancel each other out to some extent. Maybe the flea market will be full of destitute hams selling all their gear real cheap. Maybe the roof will finally collapse on that dilapidated venue during a spring storm and end the whole thing. Maybe Dara will cut the budget for portolets 50%, to reduce expenses, and make us all wet ourselves. Clean up in aisle 2. Hopefully the economy will not destroy the fragile network of ham equipment dealers and makers. We are not a huge market, you know. I got all the radios I need, so I am looking for flashy gee-gaws to hoard away for hard times or the estate sale.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: