Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HEATHKIT VHF-1 SENECA TRANSMITTER  (Read 2644 times)
KC6WGN

Ignore
« on: May 29, 2007, 12:42:00 PM »

ANYONE HAS PRODUCT REVIEW ON THIS HEATHKIT VHF-1 TRANSMITTER. I JUST WANT TO HEAR THE FEEDBACK ON THIS BEAUTIFULLY MADE TRANSMITTER.
THANKS AND 73 GIDEON...
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 12:44:10 PM »

Did you know that someone has glued your caps lock key in the ON position?

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 01:50:04 PM »

Well, it hasn't been made since the early 1960s so probably 90% of all hams on the air today have never heard of nor seen one.

I, however, *built* one from a kit and used it on the air until about 1967 or so, when someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

It certainly is heavy-duty and quite pretty, although large and heavy by any standard.  The modulation was carrier-controlled, so it delivered very little carrier output power and a lot more power on voice peaks.  Carrier-to-peak power ratio could be as high as ten to one, so the modulation would "swing" the output power up about 10 dB.

Mine ran about 40W peak output power on two meters and about 75W peak output power on six meters, with about 3mA peak grid current (drive).  I could push it for a bit more output, but then the drive could be excessive, which shortens tube life on the 6146s quite a bit.

The modulation was normally a bit "mushy" (too bassy), but there were many popular modifications to make it "brighter" (more "highs") which would make it easier to understand.

The only real problem with the Seneca was VFO drift!  The VFO drifted quite a bit, and more so on two meters.  It pays to let it warm up a long time, and never transmit too quickly after turning the power on.  When I wanted to use the rig on CW, which I often did on two meters, I used crystals.  Of course, with crystal control it was extremely stable.

If the VFO dial cord breaks, re-stringing it is quite an interesting chore.  If you've never done this before, it can be an all-day adventure.

Good luck with it!

WB2WIK/6
KC6WGN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 11:38:02 PM »

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE INFO.,I JUST BOUGHT THIS SENECA VHF-1 FEW WEEKS AGO, THE WHOLE RADIO IS SO BEAUTIFUL, WAS ATTRACTED,THE METAL CABINET IS SOLID AND BRONZE AND COLOR IS VERY ATTRACTIVE TOO. CHANGED THE ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS AND WORKS FINE. THANKS AGAIN.. 73
W5HTW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 08:27:41 PM »

Sorry your keyboard is broken.
WA4BWO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 12:50:02 PM »

Cheesy DID you know your KEYboard CAPS lock key is still BROKEN! Or are you just shouting at us because you're sooo excited about the VHF-1 you just got.
I know the feeling because......I JUST BOUGHT ONE ON EBAY AND AM REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO REFURBISHING IT BECAUSE I HAD ONE IN 1966 AS A NOVICE AND TECH....WN4AHZ AND WA4BWO!

Good luck with yours. Mine will be sitting beside the Hammarlund HQ 140X with AMECO converters, just like it did in 1967.....!

WA4BWO
Dave Roll Eyes
KQ6EA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 11:22:34 AM »

Electric Radio magazine had an article a few months back about restoring these.

The VFO drift was a problem that the author could not resolve.

Like Steve said, let them warm up a good 30~45 minutes, and resign yourself to the fact that they drift.

Jim
WB2EOD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 11:37:48 PM »

This is related to VFO drift in general. 
I knew a fellow who had an old Lafayette HA-350 (HA-3-drifty) receiver. 
This receiver was notoriously unstable for at least the first half hour.
We disconnected the VFO tube filament from the main filament string and added a small 6.3 volt filament transformer.  The primary was connected directly to the line cord, before the switch.  The secondary was connected to the VFO tube filament.  As long as the set was plugged in, the VFO tube and surrounding components were warm. 
The result was acceptable (if not exceptional stability)

WB2EOD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: