Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wanted: How to make a degaussing coil?  (Read 3092 times)
W4PTO

Ignore
« on: March 08, 2007, 12:27:41 PM »

Maybe this is off topic (or not). I'd like to know where to get info on how to make this item. I have a color television (tube) that needs to be degaussed. Help! Cal, N6KYR/8
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 01:39:40 PM »

I used to make these all the time, years ago before TVs had automatic degaussers.

An article on how to make one is here:

http://www.oscarcontrols.com/degauss/index.shtml

It takes lots and lots and lots of wire, but it can be small gauge and not very expensive.  To make these quickly I used to use a wire & cable coiling machine with a hand crank and an expandable basket that I could set to any diameter I wished (up to about 15" or so).  I'd set it for about 8" and start cranking, unspooling magnet wire from a regular industrial spool.  When the "bundle" got to be 3/8" to 1/2" in diameter (hundreds of turns), I'd stop, connect an AC cord with an in-line switch, and wrap the whole thing with overlapping layers of electrical tape.  

WB2WIK/6
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 04:06:29 PM »

Most CRT type color TV sets have a built-in degausser which is activated for a short time every time the set is turned on.  It consists of a coil similar to the one you want to make with a thermistor in series.  The thermistor has low resistance when cold and high resistance when hot.  The pair are connected to the 115 VAC line.  Usually the thermistor goes bad (burns up or the leads melt off).  It may be a bit hard to find a replacement.  You could just take the existing coil out and add an ac cord and switch or rescue the coil from a junker TV.
As my old math teacher used to say:  "There are easier ways to kill a dog besides choking him to death with butter."  (No dogs were harmed during the writing of this reply).
73 Allen
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 06:33:02 PM »

hi,

Plenty of used 17" crt monitors available at the
recycle center at the county lanfills.

Be easy to remove the coil from one of them.

73 james
KB9DT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 03:41:57 PM »

A soldering gun can be used.  A big ol 300 watt one is best.  Trigger the gun away from the tube, then move it closer and cover the front and sides.  Move it away before letting up on the trigger or you'll have to do it over again.  If the set is on when you do the degaussing you can see what area needs the most work.

KC2RKO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 06:38:06 PM »

Hi, Alittle tip>
If you have a weller or similar soldering gun, not the little wands but the guns, you do a great job of degaussing your screen. It should be used the same way a coil is. Start as far away from the crt as you can switch gun on and move to the screen, rotate clockwise over the total crt and pull back before releasing switch.
This will do it everytime.
Good luck
Russ==KC2RKO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: