Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Obtaining parts (unobtanium)  (Read 575 times)
N4UE

Ignore
« on: August 03, 2008, 05:48:30 PM »

Hi. This is a shortened version of 'tips' that will appear in a future issue of Electric Radio.

Since I am a builder and restorer of lots of 'Boatanchors', 'Test Equipment', etc., I feel the pain of a lot of builders when bemoaning the lack of availability of some older parts.

I have a simple solution: ePay, er, eBay.

Yes, I know lots of you have had BAD experiences there (right, Steve, WB2WIK/6?).

However, one must be VERY pessimistic (or optimistic?) when bidding on "vintage" stuff.

Here's a couple of examples:

1. Lots of guys would like to obtain Nixie tubes. Yep, they are either unavailabe or VERY pricy. Not too long ago, I bought several Fluke DVMs for $5 apiece. Not only did they work, but each has 6 Nixie tubes.

2. Recently, I bought a VERY nice Lafayette receiver for the princely sum of $.99. Since the seller was close, the shipping was very cheap also. Although it took me a while to 'undo' a previous owner's "mods", it had all of the original Hitachi tubes. Every one passed easily when checked with a high-end transconductance tester.

3. A couple of years ago, I was able to purchase a lot of HP SHF Signal Generators. What am I gonna do with a 4-11 GHz Generator? Probably nothing, BUT they all worked and they are LOADED with high quality parts and tubes. Shipping? It was free for these monsters.

4. I have a large collection of BA receivers. EVERY one has a small 12VDC muffin fan it to keep it cool.

I also use 24VDC fans, that when run an 12VDC, are completely inaudable. Gee, where do I get the fans? I have an agreement with a couple of local PC repair shops. Once a week, I stop by and they give me a box full of Power Supplies. Lots of times, the only problem is the fan has stalled. Easy fix. However, since I have LOADS of these P/S, I usually just 'part 'em out'. They ae loaded with nice caps, etc. Don't worry, all caps are checked for both 'leakage' and ESR. Some have 2 fans!

Monitors have a TREMENDOUS number of quality parts. I have thousands of parts stored away. Why do I keep 'parting them out'? I find it entertaining and relxing. What more could you ask?

Ya just gotta be creative.

I have 6 of the HP 608 series also obtained for almost nothing and FREE shipping......

Lots of times, the parts are MUCH more valuabe than the unit itself... Just watch out for shipping.......

ron

N4UE
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 01:05:50 PM »

I agree there are great deals for scavengers this way.

But I don't need to use eBay for any of that.  I've never seen anything on eBay that isn't right down the road from me, for my own inspection and then "pay by weight" here:

http://apexelectronic.com/

BTW they have lots of nixie tubes, etc.  Very cheaply.

Pays to have such a place close by, I've been using it for 20+ years.

WB2WIK/6
KI4WGI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 08:56:51 PM »

Since I have no real electronics stores locally (incl surplus) I have used eBay for the same purpose. I have obtained lots of boat anchors for restoration that way.

But I have found normal radios (tube/transistor & portable) at yard sales or flea markets. Good source for tuning caps.
W8ZNX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 01:25:04 AM »

there is a world of good junk out their

only things that are hard to find
and some big old triode tubes
that the hi fi nuts have latched on to

remember
there are all kinds of workarounds

but everything else is easy
you just got to keep your eyes open

and relise that any bit of scrap equpment
may
just
have
something inside you can use

i still trash pick
sure the good stuff is harder to find

but its still out their

now and then you find a gem
sitting out at the curb on trash day

dit dit
Mac
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 07:38:33 PM »

Cheater Electronics Suppply in Kensoha, WI (also has store in Largo, FL) is a great old style 1940/50 radio/TV long counter store.  
Been shopping there for 20 yeas now --- many of the great parts are gone (word spreads fast) -- but I continually find a few gems on every trip.
They even have parts for some of the old Ungar Princess line and Weller series.

w9gb
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: