Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to buy IF transformers?  (Read 5253 times)
KE6WNH

Ignore
« on: August 07, 2009, 11:43:08 PM »

My Digi-Key catalog arrived today, but I was disappointed to find none of those Toko-type IF transformers listed in it. Also none of those slug-tuned coils by Hi-Q like the ones Mouser used to stock. I talked to KE6VRK and he is just as stymied as I am... he needs a source for the 80m superhet receivers he wants to build.
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 04:48:45 AM »

Check with the smaller specialty suppliers. I know JAB has Toko inductors (www.jabdog.com), and Dan's Small Parts usually has a good selection for radio hobbyists (www.danssmallpartsandkits.net). Otherwise, you might just have to homebrew your own. The instructions for the Tin Ear's PTO come to mind (wind the coil on a fat drinking straw and use a brass screw to change its inductance). But believe me, I feel for all of you who have to deal with obtaining obsolete components. Junked TV sets and garage sale electronics may be our last hope! GL
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 11:06:01 PM »

Check on the Digi-Key and Mouser web sites.  They don't list
everything in the catalogs to save space.

I entered "IF transformer" on the Mouser web site and it
brought up a page of them.

Looks like Digi-Key is discontinuing their leaded inductors.
I had trouble searching there because they appeared to
be listed as "variable inductors", but if you got to the
Toko website and find the one you want you can look it
up by number.

Otherwise Dan's Small Parts has some listed on their
catalog.
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 02:23:04 PM »

Antique Electronic Supply (www.tubesandmore.com) also has some old-style variable inductors. They might need to be rewound to fit your specific inductance needs.
K7DAA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 04:22:36 PM »

I still have a dozen parts bins full of the good old "42IF1xx" parts that Mouser has always sold, along with a bunch of Digikey's Toko cans.  Seems a shame that they're not there any more...or are they?

Checking Mouser...I punched in the number for a familiar old friend: "42IF123" on Mouser's site, and yep, it's still there!  They have both 455 kHz and 10.7 MHz IF transformers, with and without capacitors.  Here's a .pdf of that catalog page:

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogUSD/639/1022.pdf

You can also find one model each of the popular 455 kHz and 10.7 MHz IF transformers on W8DIZ's site at a good price:

http://www.kitsandparts.com/inductors.php

Hope these help.  Keep the iron hot!

Dave - K7DAA
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 02:37:09 PM »

With the migration to surface mount and RoHS components, Toko has stopped producing some through-hole IF cans.  
This is a problem no only for you, but for some of the 800 MHz to 900 MHz conversion plans.

w9gb
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: