Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Extra-Plus Class License?  (Read 3287 times)
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2014, 12:12:33 PM »

How about this:

Somebody puts together a set of tests "like they used to be" - say, a set for every decade.

They take a "travelling road show" to hamfests, conventions, etc. You sign up, pay a fee, and get to try your hand at whatever era and class you desire. Code and theory, the way they were given in the decade chosen. And you have to take ALL the exams for the license you want.

If you fail one element, you're done for the day.

If you pass, you get a nice certificate proclaiming that you passed the 1970 Advanced or the 1960 General or whatever.

It would have no legal standing whatever, but would look nice on the wall.

73 de Jim, N2EY

W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2014, 03:12:52 PM »

How about this:

Somebody puts together a set of tests "like they used to be" - say, a set for every decade.

They take a "travelling road show" to hamfests, conventions, etc. You sign up, pay a fee, and get to try your hand at whatever era and class you desire. Code and theory, the way they were given in the decade chosen. And you have to take ALL the exams for the license you want.

If you fail one element, you're done for the day.

If you pass, you get a nice certificate proclaiming that you passed the 1970 Advanced or the 1960 General or whatever.

It would have no legal standing whatever, but would look nice on the wall.

73 de Jim, N2EY

That actually is pretty good idea.  Each certificate could be issued a number, and that number could be used to run nets much like 10-10 International does. Individual clubs and organizations can be built around all of this as well. I like the idea.

Still using Windows XP Pro.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2014, 05:17:15 PM »

If they still had 20wpm code there would not even be 1 tenth the amount of new extras today. More like not even 5%. There is nothing they can do to make it harder using multiple guess questions. It is nearly a give away now. I remember my struggle to get there long ago. They have pretty much gutted requirements and made it kinda like a high dollar CB. I know this will grate on some but hobby has become way too commercialized.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2014, 05:25:29 PM »

If they still had 20wpm code there would not even be 1 tenth the amount of new extras today. More like not even 5%. There is nothing they can do to make it harder using multiple guess questions. It is nearly a give away now. I remember my struggle to get there long ago. They have pretty much gutted requirements and made it kinda like a high dollar CB. I know this will grate on some but hobby has become way too commercialized.

Mr. Know It All had to struggle? WOW I'm impressed! Hard to admit you don't know everything!
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Yesterday at 07:13:08 AM »

If they still had 20wpm code there would not even be 1 tenth the amount of new extras today. More like not even 5%

I disagree. Here's why:

I remember when "incentive licensing" first went into effect - Nov. 22, 1968. I was a new Advanced back then. There were only a couple of thousand Extras, total, out of over 250,000 US hams.

I recall all sorts of predictions of doom. Folks saying that the Extra tests were so hard that most people could NEVER pass them. I was too stupid to know that, so I got my Extra in 1970 - sending and receiving 20 wpm, written test, the works. On the first try, too.

And I watched the number of Extras grow and grow - even before Bash books, before medical waivers, etc. Folks just learned what was required.

Sure, if they'd kept the code tests and such, we'd have fewer Extras and fewer new hams. That's true of any requirement. But 10%? Puh-leeze!

There is nothing they can do to make it harder using multiple guess questions.

The written exams have been all-multiple choice since at least 1967. The transition started in 1961.

They could make the exams better by enlarging the question pools. Imagine a question pool of 5000 questions, all different. But...that would require some work....

It is nearly a give away now. I remember my struggle to get there long ago. They have pretty much gutted requirements and made it kinda like a high dollar CB. I know this will grate on some but hobby has become way too commercialized.

Consider that ANY amateur radio requirement looks easy when you've been doing it for decades. The 20 wpm code tests would be a snap for me today, as would the writtens. But that's not the point - it's what those requirements are for entry.

Too commercialized? How so? When I became a ham 47 years ago, almost every ham I encountered was using factory-made gear. Some used kits, and were considered special. A few of us - a very few - were homebrewers, or converted WW2 surplus, and were considered geniuses.

Things haven't changed all that much...

73 de Jim, N2EY

NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Yesterday at 10:12:39 AM »

Requirements for Extra-Plus Class License

A. 25 wpm code test at least two minutes perfect receiving and sending using a plain telegraph key.

B. 150 question test including drawing 15 pages of transmitter and receiver circuits.

C. Have to be a ham for at least 5 years.

D. Take the test in front of a FCC examiner.

E. Have to have once held an Advanced License at one time (to prove your a real ham).

F. Be able to prove that you have Worked All States using the Heathkit HW7 and the Gotham Vertical Antenna.

G. Or be able to prove that you have Worked All Countries using the Eico Seven Drifty Three (753) and a Gotham Vertical Antenna.

H. If you fail any part of the test you have to wait 6 months to retake the whole test. 

I.  You have to have a real Amateur Radio callsign.  That means one that begins with W, K, WA, WB, or WD before the number, and the number must match your location.  None of those newfangled N-calls, 2x1s, 2x2s, or 2x3s that begin with K that have been around for only 35 years or so.  Real hams have real ham callsigns, dagnabbit!

Now get off my lawn!  (Sez a 44-year ham who's had upstart, high-fallootin' 2x2 callsigns for over 20 years.) Grin
You mean my 2x1 isn`t a "real" callsign? Oh no!   Cry
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Yesterday at 10:14:43 AM »

That actually is pretty good idea.  Each certificate could be issued a number, and that number could be used to run nets much like 10-10 International does. Individual clubs and organizations can be built around all of this as well. I like the idea.

Think of this scenario:

Somebody makes a big deal about having earned their license "the hard way", and how these young whippersnappers have it too easy, yada yada yada.

And then one of the young whippersnappers mentions having passed the exams for every decade since the spark era. BWAAAHAAAHAAA!

oh, and btw.....

For the older exams, only period-appropriate stuff would be allowed in the test session. This means no calculators before about 1975, for example, and only period-appropriate calculators afterwards. No anachronistic keyers or paddles for the sending test, either. If it didn't exist when the test was originally given, you can't use it.

Also the regulations questions would be for the time of the test, not today.

73 de Jim, N2EY

WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Yesterday at 11:48:12 PM »

I think you need to take a trip down memory lane and pull up some old QSTs from the 50s and 60s. I don't think it has become more commercialized. At least by that standard.

Rick  WN2C
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Today at 01:46:19 AM »

I think you need to take a trip down memory lane and pull up some old QSTs from the 50s and 60s. I don't think it has become more commercialized. At least by that standard.

Rick  WN2C

Actually if you really think about it, it is less today because so many print ads disappeared with magazines and what not, that have closed over the years. If it was such a lucrative adventure, where are all those advertising dollars to keep all those defunct publications operating? CQ is barely hanging on to life. If it was such a big commercial business, CQ would not be having problems cause they would be flush with advertising dollars.
WS4E

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Today at 03:01:56 AM »

Today's "Extra" exam is about as challenging as the "General" exam in years past.
Just memorize a bunch of questions and you're in.

You are mistaken if you think the exam has ever been anything other than that.  Other than CW, the challenge of the actual exams are the same since befew the CW was eliminated.  Gordon West was making books to study the exam questions and answers long before the internet.

If they still had 20wpm code there would not even be 1 tenth the amount of new extras today.

So your only idea of making the test "harder" is forcing people to demonstrate ability in a mode that has very little usefulness and they may not have any interest in at all?!  How about you add the ability to copy 10 QSO's in PSK31, or make a QSO in JT65?  Maybe you should throw some hellschreiber and SSTV in there too?!  Demonstrating any of those modes proves as much as a CW exam.  Nothing really much at all.  

You know what is pitiful about these arguments.  People that complain about the extra exams are NEVER really for improving the actual "quality" of the license exam, because they never suggest anything such as improving the technical material, or making a larger test pool, or anything like that...its ALWAYS just pure jealousy of someone not having to take a CW test to get their license.

If you bring up CW, then you have already lost your whole argument that exam needs to be better.

« Last Edit: Today at 03:12:25 AM by WS4E » Logged
AC8ND

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Today at 07:05:10 AM »

Mr. James X. Shorts
Assistant Liaison to the Deputy Chief of Public Relations
Federal Communications Commission

November 20, 2014

Many Amateur Radio operators feel the the current Amateur Extra Exam is to easy.

I suggest that all Amateur Extra Class applicants have a basic understanding of Quantum Electrodynamics. Since the other areas of the exam are also important, to accommodate this new area, I suggest expanding the current fifty question exam to sixty questions. This extra area of knowledge should assure the FCC that an Amateur Extra will have the skills to be a good radio operator.

I have and example of possible pool questions for this new Amateur Extra exam section listed below.

1) Please select the Feynman diagram that best illustrates a Z boson particle decaying into a muon anti-muon pair.

(Obviously "B" is the correct answer.)

A)

B)

C)

D)

2) What is the mass–energy equivalence of a Z boson?

(Answer "A" is the correct answer)

A) 91 GeV

B) 120 KeV

C) 551 MeV

E) 707 eV

I have many more examples of possible Amateur Extra questions for the new section if you need them.

Sincerely,

Patrick Kernahan

AC8ND
« Last Edit: Today at 07:11:54 AM by AC8ND » Logged
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Today at 08:36:30 AM »

Amateur radio has enough bosons already, thanks.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Today at 08:53:16 AM »

You are mistaken if you think the exam has ever been anything other than that.  Other than CW, the challenge of the actual exams are the same since befew the CW was eliminated.  Gordon West was making books to study the exam questions and answers long before the internet.

Not at all. the "official" are available so you can memorize. Also of 4 answers 2 are dead wrong and easy to rule out and it really a A or B test.  No not the same at all and anyone that took tests long ago will agree too.

As far as code, it is what started hobby and you should have know it at top license level.  Pretty soon they will be mail order.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Today at 09:01:49 AM »

Not at all. the "official" are available so you can memorize. Also of 4 answers 2 are dead wrong and easy to rule out and it really a A or B test.  No not the same at all and anyone that took tests long ago will agree too.

As far as code, it is what started hobby and you should have know it at top license level.  Pretty soon they will be mail order.

What a clown.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Today at 02:58:11 PM »

What a clown.

No post is complete without FIB troll comments that never offer solutions only BS. 

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: