Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gen Test Before Tech Call Sign?  (Read 3071 times)
NW1HR

Ignore
« on: October 20, 2014, 12:40:52 PM »

Passed the tech exam on 10/9, and will take the Gen test on 10/23.  The thing is, I still don't have my call sign from the Tech exam (checking the FCC every couple hours does not speed thnkgs up LOL).

Anyway, should I hold off before taking the Gen test (even though I am ready), or is it OK (paper work wise) to go ahead and take it on the 23rd without any call sign?

Thanks.

BTW, how long should it take to get the first call sign (seems like forever to me LOL)?

- Dan /TE
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 01:25:24 PM »

Passed the tech exam on 10/9, and will take the Gen test on 10/23.  The thing is, I still don't have my call sign from the Tech exam (checking the FCC every couple hours does not speed thnkgs up LOL).

Anyway, should I hold off before taking the Gen test (even though I am ready), or is it OK (paper work wise) to go ahead and take it on the 23rd without any call sign?

Thanks.

BTW, how long should it take to get the first call sign (seems like forever to me LOL)?

- Dan /TE

Go ahead and take the General, but be sure to take your CSCE (the signed form you should have received after passing the Tech) to the exam session.  It serves as proof that you passed Element 2.

The amount of time it takes for your call sign to appear in the FCC database depends on how quickly the VE group and their VEC process the paperwork.  I'm with an ARRL-affiliated group in California; our Saturday test sessions almost always result in call signs appearing by the following Friday, and often as early as Tuesday or Wednesday.  Your mileage may vary.
NW1HR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 02:28:32 PM »

Thank you, I'll take the CSCE with me.
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 07:36:36 PM »

Your VEs are very slow. After each exam I've taken during the past four years, given by three different local clubs, my results have been posted on the FCC site within one week.

Not the best service. You might find a polite way to let them know.

Last, with a Tech license you can still have access to plenty of HF bands. Much more than you can "master" in a few years.
NW1HR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 10:50:20 AM »

Well, now you got me going :-)

Called the FCC, and they know nothing of me.  I did ask if I could forward my CSCE to them for a direct license, but no dice.  The only way you can get a Radio Amateur license is through a local ham club and the VE's, no exceptions.  Called one the the VE's that signed my CSCE (only one call sign was legible), but he had no specific recollection of the 10/9 exam, or me, or my application, but did tell me that the ARRL was the VEC, so they should know the status.  So, I called the ARRL, and they know nothing of me either.

I guess Christmas is coming late this year, LOL.

Maybe the General exam should wait for awhile. 

I'll be listening ;-)

- Dan /TE(pending somewhere)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 10:53:43 AM by NW1HR » Logged
WV4L

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 04:47:24 PM »

Take your CSCE with you tomorrow, 10/23 and take your test.  I hope it is not the same slow group you tested with the first time. I hope they accept the CSCE since you indicate two of the three required signs are not legible. If it is the same group they should accept their own generated CSCE and should be ashamed that they didn't get your paperwork turned in, in a timely fashion.

73 & Good Luck!

Wayne C.
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 01:45:44 PM »

Thanks.

- Dan /TE

Our VEC in San Diego files exam information with the FCC electronically and the new call signs usually show up in the ULS by Monday morning, Tuesday at the latest.  We also don't let candidates take the test with only an SSN for identification.  They MUST have already obtained an FRN to take the examination.

Well, now you got me going :-)

Called the FCC, and they know nothing of me.  I did ask if I could forward my CSCE to them for a direct license, but no dice.  The only way you can get a Radio Amateur license is through a local ham club and the VE's, no exceptions.  Called one the the VE's that signed my CSCE (only one call sign was legible), but he had no specific recollection of the 10/9 exam, or me, or my application, but did tell me that the ARRL was the VEC, so they should know the status.  So, I called the ARRL, and they know nothing of me either.

I guess Christmas is coming late this year, LOL.

Maybe the General exam should wait for awhile. 

I'll be listening ;-)

- Dan /TE(pending somewhere)

Did you obtain an FRN (FCC Registration Number) before you took the examination?  If so, search in the FCC ULS based on that number.  If not, you may be waiting a while longer. 
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 06:14:43 AM »

The best test sessions I have participated in would have the mailer envelope sitting right there during the test session. Once we graded and reviewed the exam results and went through the ritual, offered congratulations/ condolences the envelope would be sealed right then and dropped in the mail box.

Those types of actions were very similar in ritual to what you see during ballot counting after an election. Usually the successful applicants would see things happen very quickly and their info would be posted in ULS.

What would help on larger test sessions would be if one of the examiner-helpers had a laptop with a wireless connection so if you did have someone come in who did not have an FRN, they could fill in the application on the FCC web site and get their number right then. Of course to do that sort of administrative support takes more than three examiners at the session because that person is not focusing on proctoring the exam session. Also you need kind of a separate area (right outside of the exam room) to do this "stuff". Also it helped to minimize the disruptions of people showing up with half of an old CSCE or with claims of having a license back in 1971... etc... and wanting to bicker about it.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
KD5RGJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 07:33:43 AM »

there is no nw1hr call sign at the fcc database
spencer-kd5rgj
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 08:47:53 AM »

The best test sessions I have participated in would have the mailer envelope sitting right there during the test session. Once we graded and reviewed the exam results and went through the ritual, offered congratulations/ condolences the envelope would be sealed right then and dropped in the mail box.

This has another advantage: if, while checking over the forms before sealing the envelope, the group leader finds a problem, it can be fixed then and there, while the VEs who processed the paperwork are still present.  If you're not under severe time pressure (perhaps you have the room for a limited time), finishing up the paperwork before closing the session is a great way to do things.
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 09:39:45 AM »

spencer-kd5rgj

Nope. I interpreted it as a representation of "[I'm the] new one here," a play on the fact that he acknowledges being a newbie.

I would also think that he plans to change that username to his actual callsign once it is assigned.

K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 10:04:53 AM »

<snip>

What would help on larger test sessions would be if one of the examiner-helpers had a laptop with a wireless connection so if you did have someone come in who did not have an FRN, they could fill in the application on the FCC web site and get their number right then. Of course to do that sort of administrative support takes more than three examiners at the session because that person is not focusing on proctoring the exam session. Also you need kind of a separate area (right outside of the exam room) to do this "stuff". Also it helped to minimize the disruptions of people showing up with half of an old CSCE or with claims of having a license back in 1971... etc... and wanting to bicker about it.

We do just that.  Although we specify that we will not allow someone without an FRN to take the examination, we will assist them in obtaining one on the spot.  There are a couple of us that have WiFi capable tablets to accomplish this.

A CSCE is good for 365 days from the date of examination.  Any longer than that and it's invalid. Period.

Under recent changes to Part 97, the burden of proof for someone wishing to get credit for an expired license outside the two-year grace period rests on the individual.  They have to provide proof of actually having held the license in question. An expired CSCE is NOT proof of having held a particular license.  It is proof of having passed the examination only.
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 12:13:44 PM »

There are a couple of us that have WiFi capable tablets to accomplish this.

Doesn't even have to be a tablet. I've used my smart phone a couple of times at our sessions. Maybe a little hard to "type", but usable.

Just remember the URL: wireless.fcc.gov/uls. Unfortunately I don't think there's a mobile web page for the ULS, so you have to use the "big" one.
NW1HR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 07:46:28 AM »

spencer-kd5rgj

I know, the NeW1HeRe idea seemed like a good idea at the time  Undecided  I'm just glad it isn't actually somebody else's call sign.

I have already placed a request for a user name change.

- Dan  KG5EJU /ag
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 09:52:55 AM »

spencer-kd5rgj

I know, the NeW1HeRe idea seemed like a good idea at the time  Undecided  I'm just glad it isn't actually somebody else's call sign.

I have already placed a request for a user name change.

- Dan  KG5EJU /ag

congrats!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: