The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More 1X2 call signs Please.  (Read 432 times)
W5WSS

Ignore
« on: Yesterday at 07:37:42 PM »

There are obviously more extra class licensees than 1X2 call signs available.

When a few are made available more than 100 applicants pounce and this is redundant and repeatedly occurring.

I noticed a pattern for the newly available call sign W5WE maybe a coincidence? Anyway a W5WCM applicant was awarded the new call sign W5WE. W5WCM, W5WSS If that is how the licensee is selected just speculating.

I am grateful for the Vanity option but it is like a raffle ticket in a basket full.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:40:28 PM by W5WSS » Logged
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 08:35:20 PM »

How is the winner selected?

From the AE7Q website (http://www.ae7q.com/query/text/Vanity.php):

"It does not matter what time of day you file, so long as AT THE EXACT TIME OF FILING, the FCC Universal Licensing System shows you hold the proper class of operator license appropriate to the callsign(s) you are applying for. Except for duplicate applications (which will be dismissed), vanity applications with the same receipt date will be processed in a random order, WITHOUT REGARD TO CONTENT, ORDER, TIME OF FILING, OR ANY OTHER FACTOR"

Everyone who does not get the vanity callsign they want thinks the system is unfair! Admit it, what you really want is a system that will allow YOU to get the call YOU want and as is the way most things are in life, it just doesn't work that way. Sorry!

The FCC can't just make more 1x2 or 2X1 callsigns. Callsigns in the United states must begin with A, N, W or K. There are only 10 call districts. For the remaining letters, there are only a finite number of letters in the English alphabet (26 at last count in case you hadn't noticed!) So how do you propose the FCC "make more callsigns" ??
« Last Edit: Today at 05:20:04 AM by N0IU » Logged
NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:43:56 AM »

Maybe you should submit a petition for rulemaking to allow numbers and special characters  in callsigns.

That would create a whole bunch more.

W5&3
W5##
W52$
etc.
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:29:41 AM »

N0IU...why all this anger And hateful adjectives? MR YOU YOU..I asked a question. I never said anything negative about the FCC vanity system but rather said I am grateful for it in case YOU didn't notice sorry!

NN4NH Cool thanks, I noticed that the grant went to the closest similar call sign so unless it is a coincidence? 73

N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Today at 11:36:35 AM »

N0IU...why all this anger And hateful adjectives?

Oh I am not angry at all. I have had my vanity callsign for over 19 years. You, however, are the one who seems to have an issue with the vanity callsign system.

I asked a question.

OK, so let me ask you a question. If you had gotten the vanity callsign you had requested, would you still be here complaining about the system? I think not!

As I explained before, the FCC decision is totally 100% completely random. In addition to that, they will only accept one application per day from any individual. The actual time the application is received has no bearing at all whatsoever on the chances your application will be chosen. IOW, an application submitted at 1 minute after midnight and an application submitted 1 minute before midnight that same day have an equal chance of being selected. If there are no applications for a particular callsign that day, the clock resets at midnight. In the case of a 1x2 or 2x1, it is highly unlikely that this process will go into a second day. There is nothing you can do that will give you any advantage over anyone else (unless you are the relative of a deceased family member who held that call.) I don't know how you could make the system any more fair than that.

In the case of W5WE, W5WCM's application was selected instead of yours by sheer dumb luck and that's it.

I never said anything negative about the FCC vanity system but rather said I am grateful for it in case YOU didn't notice sorry!

Yes, I saw what you wrote, but taking it in the context of your whole post, you just don't seem very grateful. If I said anything to offend you, I apologize. Better luck with your next application.

Obviously you were looking for a 1x2 or 2x1, but W5RWM and N5RWM are available! Unfortunately, K5RWM is already taken by Robert W. Monaghan, Jr. Imagine that!
« Last Edit: Today at 11:43:32 AM by N0IU » Logged
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:53:10 PM »

Its all good pal. I've been a ham since August 28, 1984 no big deal. Complaining? that's your interpretation and is not indicative to my good attitude

You are free to question my motives in order to make your point. If it were this than I would be that umm OK.

Yeah what a pure coincidence. I don't know I do seem to want to be helpful and stand firm. Your Using such accusatory words like complaining is a negative connotation and I rebuke that as inaccurate, out of context.

You are correct to ask what would I suggest ETC? Honestly more extra class licenses surely there must be a way? Are you suggesting that it can never be possible to find a solution for the growing Extra class um how about 1X1 DOH!

Since there are limitations for North America call sign groupings starting with A N W K why must it only be? There are more extras then available licenses why must that be? Change is a constant that seems weird until it gradually becomes normal.

How about A12A A12B add a district since it doesn't matter where we reside A13A A13B well you get my meaning

« Last Edit: Today at 01:03:30 PM by W5WSS » Logged
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Today at 01:31:39 PM »

Honestly more extra class licenses surely there must be a way? Are you suggesting that it can never be possible to find a solution for the growing Extra class um how about 1X1 DOH!

Since there are limitations for North America call sign groupings starting with A N W K why must it only be? There are more extras then available licenses why must that be?

How about A12A A12B add a district since it doesn't matter where we reside A13A A13B well you get my meaning

I think many of your questions stem from a lack of understanding of the international system of call sign allocation, the current FCC assignments of its share of call signs, and the overall conventions that exist worldwide that affect radio call signs in all services.

The following article is a good enough place to start when seeking to understand the answers to your questions, and there are many more good sources to research.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio_call_signs
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Today at 02:09:11 PM »

There are obviously more extra class licensees than 1X2 call signs available.

When a few are made available more than 100 applicants pounce and this is redundant and repeatedly occurring.

I noticed a pattern for the newly available call sign W5WE maybe a coincidence? Anyway a W5WCM applicant was awarded the new call sign W5WE. W5WCM, W5WSS If that is how the licensee is selected just speculating.

I am grateful for the Vanity option but it is like a raffle ticket in a basket full.

How about having vanity call signs going to the highest bidder?  It would put more money into the FCCs's pocket for enforcement!  Don't they already raffle off spectrum??
NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Today at 02:49:13 PM »

Honestly more extra class licenses surely there must be a way?

There are plenty of extra class licenses available. Unlimited supply in fact.

What's limited is Group A callsigns.   1x2 and 2x1 are obviously hard to get, but in fact 2x2s that begin with A area also "extra class" callsigns (Group A) and there's some of those left I believe.

There's still plenty of Group B 2x2 and Group C 1x3 callsigns for now.

Extras can hold any of Group A, B or C callsign. If it's Group B or C then the way that everyone links to QRZ callsign database while operating these days, they'll know immediately that you're an Extra if it's important for them to know that.

Is not having a 1x2 or 2x1 really going to stress anyone out? Ruin the hobby for them? I doubt it.

So if you just gotta have a 1x2 or 2x1, you're stuck with playing the lottery and waiting for some OT to die, just like everyone else.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Today at 06:30:48 PM »

Its all good pal.

Yes, I do believe so.

The really great thing about this hobby is that all of us can have richly rewarding amateur radio experiences no matter what callsigns we end up with.

So yes, it is all good!
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Today at 08:22:38 PM »

Hello ONAIR, Raffle? Yeah that's how the FCC selection process works when bunches of hams are applying for 1 call sign. The price for a vanity application through W5YI is $29.95.

That's the current price being paid for those whom need the service....So yes I guess that would help slightly.

What IF 1,040 additional call signs for the extra class were made available yes they would disappear quickly but isn't that a good thing?

Call district 1's and 11's 2's and 12's etc.  A11A-A11Z through  to the 10th call district A20A-A20Z   then the rest of them N,W and K

Repeat A21A-A21Z.... as long as it doesn't dupe another country like Botswana etc. A22

District 1,11,21,and so on.

« Last Edit: Today at 08:29:18 PM by W5WSS » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: