The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best advice for somebody who wants to take the exam but is lacking transportatio  (Read 731 times)
CHRISTOFERO

Ignore
« on: May 25, 2017, 06:31:57 PM »

I've been wanting to get my ham license for years but I don't own a car or drive. What should I do? My wife has a car but she is extremely busy and when she has downtime, I can tell that helping me enter a hobby where I am likely to aquire more of what she calls junk is not what she wants to do. Obviously, the best thing is for me to get a drivers license first and take the car myself, and indeed that is probably  how it will happen. It seems like when (ham) license tests are given they are always far enough away to make it enough of a PITA that it hasn't happened. It seems the least complicated way to do it would actually be to go into the big city and take it there.

Ive been into radio and electronics for a long time, and that also makes my situation kind of painful and unpleasant to discuss.
 I spent most of my life in a big city with excellent public transport and driving didn't matter, in fact, few people owned cars there. But where I live now its a real PITA getting around by bus so I rarely do it. Luckily, we both work over the net so, its not an impediment to that. But, when i am working I also tend to be extremely busy, so busy that taking half a day off is not really so easy. And she is busy like that it seems now all of the time, just about.

This situation is kind of embarrassing. Its so pathetic.  I wonder how many people have this problem.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 01:29:50 AM »

I've been wanting to get my ham license for years but I don't own a car or drive. What should I do? My wife has a car but she is extremely busy and when she has downtime, I can tell that helping me enter a hobby where I am likely to aquire more of what she calls junk is not what she wants to do. Obviously, the best thing is for me to get a drivers license first and take the car myself, and indeed that is probably  how it will happen. It seems like when (ham) license tests are given they are always far enough away to make it enough of a PITA that it hasn't happened. It seems the least complicated way to do it would actually be to go into the big city and take it there.

Ive been into radio and electronics for a long time, and that also makes my situation kind of painful and unpleasant to discuss.
 I spent most of my life in a big city with excellent public transport and driving didn't matter, in fact, few people owned cars there. But where I live now its a real PITA getting around by bus so I rarely do it. Luckily, we both work over the net so, its not an impediment to that. But, when i am working I also tend to be extremely busy, so busy that taking half a day off is not really so easy. And she is busy like that it seems now all of the time, just about.

This situation is kind of embarrassing. Its so pathetic.  I wonder how many people have this problem.
   Contact a local ham radio club, and see if can locate a ham in your area who can give you a tide to the rest site!   Wink
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 05:07:17 AM »

Hoof it!
W9ZIM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 06:37:39 AM »

Contact the volunteer examiner team or the local amateur radio club and see if someone can arrange a carpool.

Public transportation.

Call a cab or hire a Uber driver.

Get up early and bike it.

Man up and talk to the wife.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 12:37:51 PM »

Learn to drive and get a driver's license.

You didn't need one where you grew up, but you're not living there now. You need one where you are now, if for no other reason than to be able to share the driving with your wife.

Once you have a driver's license, getting to a VE session won't be a big deal.

AB3TQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 05:07:12 PM »

I've been wanting to get my ham license for years but I don't own a car or drive.

Can you give us the city and state where you are located? Not all tests are regularly scheduled every month. A near by Field Day might be an opportunity (COMING UP June 24TH). A nearby hamfest another possibility. Where is the nearest club? Unless we know where you are, it is impossible to evaluate your options. And unless you get a PO Box, or have access to another address, we will know EXACTLY where you are if you get licensed.

Also, if the perfect opportunity presents itself, are you ready to take more than just the Tech exam? Depending how busy they are at the exam session, it is possible to pay ONE FEE ONLY ($15) and go from Zero to Extra. After 40 years of putting it off, I did it exactly that way. Be prepared.

Glenn AB3TQ
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 01:25:19 PM »

If earning your amateur radio license means anything to you then you will find a way to get off of your butt and get down to an exam session.

I am amazed that "this" is the thing that you are bringing up as a reason to not do it. Heaven help you when it comes time to buy or build a coax cable jumper.

I am being a bit harsh but this is not a hobby for the faint hearted. It is going to cost you time and money.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
Free space loss (dB) = 32.4 + 20 × log10d + 20 × log10 f
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 05:51:09 PM »

Why don't you ask a cousin, an uncle or aunt, a friend a nice neighbor. I agree with 4HA. Just do it.
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Today at 02:41:35 AM »

You make it sound as if you are a self incarcerated prisoner. There's something else going on that you're not sharing so I won't judge you. As others have said, reaching out to a local amateur radio club is your best alternative. As your wife fears you will accumulate more junk then maybe there's a tendency you already have with other interests and she refuses to encourage it.  Well that's a domestic issue that you have to deal with.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Today at 02:47:16 PM »

Just tell your wife that if she doesn't take you to the site, you will take a cab!!   Shocked
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: