The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL Seeks Opinions Concerning Possible New Entry Level License  (Read 3372 times)
N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2017, 05:47:38 PM »

Elmer is pretty discouraged by the high dropout rate among new licensees, so he thinks something needs to be done.

well, if we want to make ham radio appeal to today's youth, why not create a ham radio app that turns smart phones into remote control for xcvrs & then convince them if they talk to one another using morse code their parents & lesser friends will have no clue what they're saying.  Cheesy 
then again, the numbers of licensed amateurs here in the US keeps growing & growing.  maybe youth just isnt our niche. and maybe -- unless you are a seller of some kind of ham radio product or service -- less is more
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2017, 06:36:36 PM »

I might become active when I retire in 20 years, for the time being a sedentary hobby is not appealing.
Yes, some are into 'building', I get my fill of electrical troubleshooting, hands-on, etc. at my day job. If I was stuck working at a desk, then building would be an ideal outlet.

As for the OP.. I took my exams, was issued a call that I'm perfectly content with (systematically assigned). They can do as they wish with the exams..
K0RGR

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Today at 10:45:30 AM »

Elmer is pretty discouraged by the high dropout rate among new licensees, so he thinks something needs to be done.

well, if we want to make ham radio appeal to today's youth, why not create a ham radio app that turns smart phones into remote control for xcvrs & then convince them if they talk to one another using morse code their parents & lesser friends will have no clue what they're saying.  Cheesy 
then again, the numbers of licensed amateurs here in the US keeps growing & growing.  maybe youth just isnt our niche. and maybe -- unless you are a seller of some kind of ham radio product or service -- less is more

I do believe that remote operation of shared stations is a big part of our future. The smartphone app already exists in a couple forms. You can do Echolink very well from a smartphone, and lots of us do. Repeaterbook has a new HT that is based on an Android smartphone - most of the 'radio' function is provided by software in the phone, coupled to an actual HT. It can access Repeaterbook's database, and use the phone's GPS to find the nearest repeaters, both FM and DMR digital voice, and program the radio to use them for you.  There are several remote control apps out there for HF rigs, so you can chase DX as long as you have Internet access.
AF7JA

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Today at 12:02:01 PM »

I might become active when I retire in 20 years, for the time being a sedentary hobby is not appealing.
Yes, some are into 'building', I get my fill of electrical troubleshooting, hands-on, etc. at my day job. If I was stuck working at a desk, then building would be an ideal outlet.

As for the OP.. I took my exams, was issued a call that I'm perfectly content with (systematically assigned). They can do as they wish with the exams..

Seeing as that went tangential, This is where I am on the solar trike I mentioned on another thread. As far as a radio on it, I suddenly remembered that I have an ICOM 706 that I can use.

It will get the solar panels on it soon (probably next weekend).

The PVC holding the control panel will not be part of the finished version.

As far as the original topic, as stated in a previous post, I think it is unlikely to achieve the stated purposes.
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Today at 12:08:22 PM »

Now you have me thinking about specs.

What kind of motor, HP, amp draw?
AF7JA

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Today at 12:28:12 PM »

Now you have me thinking about specs.

What kind of motor, HP, amp draw?

Most of the specs are statutory rather than capability. There are Federal and state guidelines as to what actually constitutes a bicycle. It is a bicycle.

The motor is 750W at the front; that way it goes through the gears in the back, which is  NuVinci CVT (making the word "gears" a bit meaningless). 750W is generally the most allowed (I think Florida allows 1KW; bit I havn't researched it). The total, unloaded, weight cannot exceed 100Lb. The top speed, without pedaling, cannot exceed 20mph.

With all that in mind, the battery is 52V 20 Amp Hours. As I mentioned, the panels are 140W.

My slow project build is here. I am defining success as 12mph continual operation.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: