Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Changing Call Signs  (Read 2644 times)
KD2BHY

Ignore
« on: July 18, 2014, 12:42:28 PM »

Hello everyone
I have just begun studying for my extra exam. If I were to change my call when taking the test, would I get a 2x1 or 1x2, or would there be a chance that I would get a 2x3 or 1x3 call sign.

Thanks so much
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 03:43:12 PM »

There are no 2x1 or 1x2 calls that are still being issued sequentially. So you would get a 2x2 call starting with A.

According to Hamdata, the most recent sequential issue of a Group A call in the second district is AC2OF.
KK4RHF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 09:20:09 AM »

What if you do the "Vanity" call sign?
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 10:43:10 AM »

What if you do the "Vanity" call sign?

That's the only way to get a 1x2 or a 2x1 call sign, but the Extra Class license has to be granted BEFORE you apply for an Extra Class vanity call sign.
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 09:44:30 AM »

Anyone know or have any thoughts on whether there was ever consideration given to granting vanity calls based on ham radio seniority, or even if there was -- does the FCC lack too much info on old licenses?
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 11:16:13 AM »

Good question regarding issuing vanity calls based on seniority. I wish the FCC had done that -- but sadly that ship has sailed and won't be returning to port anytime soon. I doubt the commission had the people power to carry that out and it would have required a degree of record keeping that was probably lacking a few decades back.

73, N4KZ
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 06:29:42 PM »

Also, if I remember correctly, there was a mini catastrophe at the FCC Gettysburg office about 20 or so years ago that destroyed a lot of records.   
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 09:37:44 PM »

Anyone know or have any thoughts on whether there was ever consideration given to granting vanity calls based on ham radio seniority, or even if there was -- does the FCC lack too much info on old licenses?
Well if you go back to the 70s, there was still in place a system that let Extras request 1x2 calls. Starting in 1968 (according to AC6V's web site), FCC would (upon request) issue a 1x2 call to an Extra who had been licensed for at least 25 years. At the time, that was the only way to get a 1x2--FCC wasn't issuing them routinely when someone upgraded. But it really wasn't a vanity program--you couldn't select your callsign, you had to accept whatever 1x2 they issued you.

In 1976, FCC changed this program in two ways. One change was that they started reducing the 25-year requirement in increments. First was anyone who met the 25-year requirement, then those who had upgraded to Extra prior to Incentive licensing, then those who had upgraded before the NPRM was released, then those who upgraded before the R&O was issued, and then eventually any Extra could apply. Each of these groups was given a three-month period before the next group was allowed to apply. Second, they allowed applicants to submit a list of callsigns. so this really was a precursor to the vanity program.

This program continued through the end of 1977, but was abruptly terminated when an FCC employee was accused of rearranging the processing order of applications in return for cash payments.

I don't recall whether there was any such discussion when the current vanity program started, but I agree with N4KZ that I don't think anything like that will return.

As for records, FCC has microfiche that go back to 1968 or so, and computerized (ULS) records back to the late 90s. Earlier paper/microfiche records were destroyed when the basement of the FCC office flooded. My speculation is that this was from Hurricane Agnes in 1972--check out the figure here showing 15+ inches of rain in central PA.
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Today at 01:09:04 AM »

maybe the NSA has a back-up copy of all that was destroyed  Wink

seriously though, did that destruction create any hiccups for people renewing?  Did the FCC actually not know who were and were not licensed hams after the flood? Or was the renewal period less than 5 years (1972 - 1968 = 4 years)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: