Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Callsign change when upgrading  (Read 4729 times)
KC8NWX

Ignore
« on: June 25, 2000, 02:03:13 AM »

Ok, I've read alot about Novices who upgrade and are anxious to see their call shortened in one way or another.  If you upgrade, is your call automatically changed?  I'm a Tech right now and looking to upgrade to General in a couple of months.  I know you need to append letters to your callsign until you have the papers in your hand, so does that mean your call stays the same after your upgrade?  If it does, then how do others have a different callsign after upgrading?  Just by separately applying for a call change?

Dave
KA9ZBN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2000, 12:18:32 AM »

Dave
When you take your exam at a VE session, there is a space on the form 605 to indicate whether you want another "FCC assigned" call sign.  However if you are upgrading from Tech to General, the FCC will assign you another 2 x 3 call.  However once your General license is granted (i.e. appears on the FCC database), you are eligible to select 1 x 3 vanity call.  When you get to the top with the Extra license, you can get a "FCC assigned" 2 x 2 call beginning with the letter A.  If you want to be creative, you can select a 2 x 2, 1 x 2, or 2 x 1 vanity call sign.  When you pass the required exam elements for your General upgrade, you will receive a CSCE (Certificate of Successful Completion of Examination) from the VE team.  This will allow you to use your new General upgrade privileges by adding /AG after your present call sign on CW or "temporary General" after your present  call sign on phone until your upgrade appears on the FCC database.  The "paper" license should appear a few days later.  Remember, you keep your present call sign until you decide to change it.

Bill KA9ZBN
KC8NWX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2000, 02:23:12 PM »

Thank you, Bill.  That's exactly what I needed to know!

Dave
N4IYV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2000, 09:16:32 PM »

Tech and above are elligable for Group  "C" 1x3 calls not General and above. But, like you said only as a Vanity
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: