Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Multiple Choice Code Test TO GO!  (Read 2724 times)
AC5WA

Ignore
« on: July 28, 2000, 03:02:19 PM »

I read that the multiple choice code test was to be done away with.  The new test will require a certain amount of 100% copy or a fill in the blanks format.  What do you think about that?
K3FT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2000, 04:17:04 PM »

Finally! The NCVEC did something about the 'multiple guess' code tests! YAHOOO! Now, at least, the applicant will have to actually demonstrate that they can copy enough CW to actually answer 10 questions rather than SWAG it!.  The Farnsworth method of testing will also make it a lot easier for people to grasp the code since they will learn it at a higher speed from the get-go and only have to decrease the spacing to improve.  Things are looking up!  

Chuck K3FT
W5HTW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2000, 07:53:18 PM »

Wonderful!  Instead of at the "count the dits and dahs" speed, it will be 13-18 WPM character speed, using the Farnsworth method.  It will require either copying 25 consecutive characters without error, or filling in the blanks in a prewritten test, with the proper word.  This is at least a tiny return to some sort of sanity, as it requires actually learning the code, instead of guessing it.  The new rules, as I understand it, can start anytime after July 1, 2000, and that is up to the VEC, but it MUST be in effect sometime in 2001, possibly no later than July 1, 2001.

This is not retroactive, so all those who have passed the "test" under the rules between April 15, 2000, and now, will not be required to demonstrate an improved version of having learned the code.  

Ed
KE6BGH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2001, 03:06:28 PM »

I took a miltiple guess code test, and really don't think it wold make lot of difference if it were fill in the blank.

Sample questions:

What kidn of rig was used? _______

What kind of antenna was used? _______

What was the transmitting station's QTH? ____________

If I copied the easy letters and got:

RIG IS I_OM (_eas_)(_en_ood)

Ant is _on_ _ire (_a_i)(_i_o_e)

QTH is _os An_e_es

ETC.  Fill in the blank is only a bit more of a challenge than multiple guess if I know anything about ham radio.

A ten question test is a ten question test to me--as long as either version is properly written.  Requiring solid copy would be a more significant change.  Or going to a sending test at the VE team's option.

Of course, speaking as a former no-code Tech and current low-code Extra, I think a 5WPM test is a pretty low hurdle, no matter what the format.

I think the code testing is in much less need of overhaul than the written tests.  The General test, in particular, needs to do a bit more in evaluating the technical knowledge relating to various modes used on HF.  Being able to copy CW from a tape player doesn't show much about your ability to transmit CW on the air in the real world.

Just my two cents.

73's de Dave KE6BGH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: