Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: US-licence  (Read 2006 times)
DJ1YFK

Ignore
« on: October 03, 2000, 08:55:44 AM »

Hello,

a friend of mine wants to get a HAM-license. since license exams in germany are incredible expensive ($70) he considered to pass an US-exam and then use DL/WWxZZZ in germany.
is that legal anyway?

73, Fabian DJ1YFK

KG6CIQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2000, 03:03:32 PM »

Hello Fabian,,

Unfortunately I don't think that's possible.
Unless your friend as a US Social Security Number.

I moved from the UK to the US.
I took the exam because it was easier than using W6/G8LIY.

MFG
David
KG6CIQ

ex G8LIY, DD5CK

NM5A

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2000, 08:29:29 PM »

Though your friend is more than welcome to take the US exam, by international treaty, the call he gets issued will only be valid in the US. To operate anywhere else, he would need a valid license issued by the country of which he is a citizen.

It might be better to think of the $70 as being spread over the number of years he'll be a ham. For a typical ham that will be many decades.
K4EQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2000, 09:02:39 AM »

Actually, that's only partially true. While a U.S. citizen who holds a foreign amatuer licence may not operate in the U.S. without getting a U.S. license, there are certain countries that will permit reciprocal operation for an operator who holds a valid license from a country other than from where he is a citizen. This happens frequently in Latin America where U.S. citizens (who has no U.S. license) obtain licenses from their host country and occasionally cross a border and operate with their DX call portable the reciprocal country.
G0SLX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2000, 08:33:56 AM »

Fabian,

You do NOT need to be a US citizen to have a US license!

I know of operators here in England who took the FCC exam, got the American license, and then applied for
(and got) the British reciprocal license!

I don't know if that would work in Germany though!

73's, Stuart, G0SLX / KF6QGL

p.s. I had my British license for some years before
getting the American one! (And I'm a British citizen).
My reason for getting the American license was for my
trips over there!
KC8NEB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2001, 06:17:27 PM »

Hello Fabian,
Some info from my personal experience. After being inactive for over 10 years I decided to get my US license back. After recieving my US Call I applied to Reg TP for a reciprical license and was turned down based on the fact that I live here in Germany and took the US test here. I was informed that any person living in Germany would have to take the German test to recieve a license. This whole thing lasted several months. Before taking my US Test I had spoken with several people at Reg TP about  this and was informed that it would be no problem. Only after submitting  my paper work did everything start. Tell your friend to spend the money and save himself the headache. I went ahead and took the German test and got my Class 3 license and will test for Class 1 in 10 days.
73 de John
DO6JH/KC8NEB
AL0L

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2001, 08:38:40 AM »

Just logged in therefor a late answer.

German RegTP will valid US Exams to German Civilians IF and only IF the License is being Taken OUTSIDE Germany.

My Wife (KL0KX) ex DO1HC was granted the german call after taken her exam outside Germany.

RegTP is standing on the Law that ONLY German Authority is legally taken Amateur Exams in Germany.

So your US or any other License will be valid IF taken outside Germany...

You can NOT use a US License as a CEPT regulations if you are living in Germany... Germany Nationality or Not

For further Questions just contact me

Tom
AL0L
HB9DOD
VE ARRL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: