Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help ! Dutch person getting US license !  (Read 1887 times)
PD1AJE

Ignore
« on: May 12, 2000, 07:42:05 AM »

Hello,

I have a dutch Novice license with has NO CEPT class.
I am visiting the US every 3 months and would like to get Technician license in the US.
Is this possible, or do I need to be a US citizen to get it.
I known the walkin exams in California !
Please let me know what is possible and what not.
My novice license is by knowledge the same as Technician.

Thnx
Martin
PD1AJE.
The Netherlands.
KA9ZBN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2000, 01:06:52 AM »

Martin,

You can get the US Technician license without US citizenship.  I would contact the VE team in California about a passport or other needed identification before you plan to take the test.  Since you plan to be in the US frequently, the US license is valid for 10 years, but reciprocal (CEPT) is only good for one year.  The Technician is good for frequencies above 30 MHz.  Add the 5 WPM code test and you have limited CW on 80/40/15m and limited CW/SSB segments on 10m.  The General test gives you more HF bandspace and the Extra written exam gives you full priveleges.  Even with the Extra license you enjoy full 40m priveleges (7.0 - 7.3) while with the reciprocal license you would be restricted (7.0 - 7.1) Region 1 which is CW/Data here, no PHONE.  If have any questions, let me know.  I just got my Extra and the streamlined US license system due to restructuring which went into effect April 15, 2000 has proven to be very popular.

Bill KA9ZBN  Springfiel IL  EM59et  
E-mail wculbertsn@aol.com
WT3A

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2000, 11:01:31 PM »

Hello Martin
Regarding your desire to obtain an American
CallSign.
It may be easier to Upgrade your Dutch license operator class than to get the USA license, I beleive you just want the Tech (no-code). The USA is now a member of CEPT,
or if you want,take the Exam for the Tech no-code. Its very easy, now just 35 questions, previously was 35 for novice and 30 more for Tech for a total of 65. Since April 15 , 2000 the Novice license is no longer available to new hams, so they dropped the Novice test requirement to obtain the Tech class. A passing grade is 75 pct or at least 27
questions correct. I don't know why they chose 35 questions, it stupid because it doesn't come out very well at 75 percent. 40 would have been a better decision.
The Tech no code will allow you all VHF/UHF previlages
up to 1500 W !! Yes I know, its incredible that you take a simple mutiple guess test and they allow you to operate into the microwaves with 1500 Watts.  ha ha
The only problem you might have is the requirement that all persons wanting to obtain an American ham license submit their Social Security Number. This is to me strange, on one hand they make the exam too easy and the other hand they want your SS number to see if you owe taxes, child support or other such things? Of course they never admitted that , but why else would they ask?
So you may have trouble without they SS Number. Also I don't know if you have seen the FCC web page on how to renew a Ham license, but my god is it weird and complicated. Why didn't they exempt hams from this nightmare. You need to be a computer scientist and you must do it over the Web. (What about those hams without WWW)??
Oh well Guess thats why I left that country so many years ago. Everyday more like Rome.
Good Luck Martin
Robert Wright
VE2OST  WT3A  HR2WR  HK5ZVA  XQ6ET  EI8IK  GI0WET  3X5E  C93N  4S7ET  VQ9MW  VK4CVP

WT3A

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2000, 11:02:35 PM »

Hello Martin
Regarding your desire to obtain an American
CallSign.
It may be easier to Upgrade your Dutch license operator class than to get the USA license, I beleive you just want the Tech (no-code). The USA is now a member of CEPT,
or if you want,take the Exam for the Tech no-code. Its very easy, now just 35 questions, previously was 35 for novice and 30 more for Tech for a total of 65. Since April 15 , 2000 the Novice license is no longer available to new hams, so they dropped the Novice test requirement to obtain the Tech class. A passing grade is 75 pct or at least 27
questions correct. I don't know why they chose 35 questions, it stupid because it doesn't come out very well at 75 percent. 40 would have been a better decision.
The Tech no code will allow you all VHF/UHF previlages
up to 1500 W !! Yes I know, its incredible that you take a simple mutiple guess test and they allow you to operate into the microwaves with 1500 Watts.  ha ha
The only problem you might have is the requirement that all persons wanting to obtain an American ham license submit their Social Security Number. This is to me strange, on one hand they make the exam too easy and the other hand they want your SS number to see if you owe taxes, child support or other such things? Of course they never admitted that , but why else would they ask?
So you may have trouble without they SS Number. Also I don't know if you have seen the FCC web page on how to renew a Ham license, but my god is it weird and complicated. Why didn't they exempt hams from this nightmare. You need to be a computer scientist and you must do it over the Web. (What about those hams without WWW)??
Oh well Guess thats why I left that country so many years ago. Everyday more like Rome.
Good Luck Martin
Robert Wright
VE2OST  WT3A  HR2WR  HK5ZVA  XQ6ET  EI8IK  GI0WET  3X5E  C93N  4S7ET  VQ9MW  VK4CVP

KB9NGI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2000, 12:41:37 PM »

The specific law under which the TIN (social security number generally) is required was a bill intended to facilitate collection of unpaid child support.  There is no secret about why the Congress passed and the Presicdent signed it.  

So, yes, "'they' admitted" what they are doing.  I suspect that about a week after the next inauguration if (Heaven forbid) Mr. Gore is sworn in, that the back taxes etc. will be in a new bill.  

FWIW
de KB9NGI
AL0L

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2001, 08:44:25 AM »

Hi there,

Your answers:

1.You dont have to be a US citizen
2.You have to have a US Mail Adress where FCC can send you your License. a Postbox number is OK
3. You dont need a social security number. Write FOREIGN on you apply and FCC will issue a TIN Number

It is easy to get a US License No Hassle..

If you want info in Dutch just write me
It is possible to do the Examen in Germany..

groetjes
Tom
AL0L
ex PA3ABE
now HB9DOD
VE ARRL
PD1ALD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2001, 04:42:33 PM »

I was in the USA last year september (2000). I contacted the FCC and they WROTE me that because of the Universal License System, they do not hand out written licenses to foreigners.

INSTEAD, if you have a valid amateur license from your own country (Netherlands in your case) and proof of citizenship of your country (so you need a passport), you can operate in the US.

So, I operated in the US legally. No problem.

Good luck.

Rene PD1ALD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: