Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Code-A-Phobe - "CAP"  (Read 1127 times)
K0KP

Ignore
« on: July 13, 2001, 10:25:39 AM »

Isn't it cool that in ham radio we've got our own slang? Take "Ham" or "Lid" for instance. Well, I'd like to propose a new handle; "CAP" the Code-A-Phobic ham, or Code-A-Phobe if you prefer. Webster defines phobia as an "inexplicable and illogical fear of a particular object, class of objects, or situation....having an intolerance or aversion for." Yep, CAP seems to fit the bill for the ever seeming to whine, "give me my license and privileges even if I'm not willing to earn them" so-called ham. A CAP has such an aversion that he doesn't even seem to tolerate CW, let alone take the time to learn 5 words per minute. It's a shame too, CW is the best, most efficient, and downright fun mode going in ham radio! CW Dead? N E V E R ! They won't get my key until they pry my cold, dead fingers from it! Do you know a "CAP"? One can tell by the whine....
KD5MAW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2001, 09:07:52 PM »

How about CW-A-P. That would work well with an Elmer Fudd jacket patch. {8^)
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2001, 05:03:56 AM »

Code is no longer the most efficient method of transmitting a signal.  Psk only uses 31.5 cycles of band width and code usually uses 500 to 800 cycles.  this makes psk the most efficient.  Code is still the easiest to set up a transmitter/reciever for.. and still fun to use... tom  N6AJR
ILIKECODE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2001, 12:02:19 PM »

I don't understand why people think that we should drop the code requirement for a liscense that allows
HF operation.  I don't even understand what the point of code free vhf/uhf liscense is. I think all hams
should have to take 5 wpm. test nothing faster of slower.  Theres is nothing wrong with learning code.
If anyone thinks cw operation might be banned in the future post a comment here.
WA7KPK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2001, 03:54:20 PM »

31 hz of bandwidth is certainly hard to beat, unless you're running less than 8 WPM of CW (at ~ 4 hz per WPM).

Of course we're talking about efficient use of spectrum space here. For efficiency of generation you still can't beat CW, though, because all you have to do is:

- Create an unmodulated carrier

- Turn it on and off

73, Creede
WF0H

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2002, 06:26:50 PM »

To a small extent, I have to agree.  I've encountered a few too many anti-coders lately. These CWAP artists have convinced themselves that FCC, ARRL, and all of us existing hams are in a big conspiracy to deny them their God-given HF rights.

Please, the arguments are a little overdone!

On the other hand, the no-coders are here to stay, and we must work to ensure that this new (now 10 years old!) entry path into Ham Radio actually works. I think that for too many, it doesn't, because the newbies are never exposed to the real Ham Radio. I wish FCC had done what ARRL requrested and granted them some limited CW priveleges on HF - so they'd have to learn the code to use them! I still think that's a great idea and should be reconsidered.

If you don't like what we have now, please DON'T pull up the RSGB website and read about what they've done in Great Britain. If you do, you will probably get so disturbed that your blood pressure will make you a Silent Key immediately.

I like some of what's been done over there, but I think the priveleges afforded are a bit too liberal. We'll have to see if our bands are suddenly filled with thousands of weak signals that sound like "... the Rhine in Spine is Minely on the Pline...".  If it is going to happen, I would expect it to happen there.
Japan has had a no-code HF license for many years, and they have about 3 million hams now. How's the QRM on the West Coast these days?  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: