Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Teaching kids Amateur Radio  (Read 1660 times)
KC7MAW

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2002, 12:16:05 PM »

Was wondering if anybody is aware of curriculum or a course designed specifically for preparing young people for their first License Examination. With all the emphasis on the big project and getting young people into the hobby I would think there would be a Course book available from ARRL or Gordon West. I tried using the Gordon West Handbook with my 9 year old, but it just wasn't working. Additionally, I have a 7 year old interested.

73/KC7MAW
BRS183557

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2002, 08:46:39 AM »

I do know that the foundation licence is avalible and although is not child orientated, is the best way forward for kids. There is one catch though, it is only avalible in the uk.
KD5OWO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2002, 05:15:38 PM »

I am 13 and think that is is wonderful for you to be getting kids into the hobby I read artical where there was a 12yr old with a General Class License that is what I am working on right now..If the 9 year old is a good reader and has a good Memeroy try having him take the tech test over and over...It will work...With the 7yr old I don't know I would try to see if you get a book for adults and then retell it in the younger kids mind....

Steve Anness
KD5OWO
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2002, 02:34:41 PM »

For the Technician license, use "Now You're Talking".  It explains things clearly and simply.  Expect to take time with your kids and explain in even simpler words what the text means.  Go over and over the questions with them, explaining what the questions and words in the questions mean.  It will take a little extra time but will work.

Remember, at this age children have a more limited vocabulary, which makes it more difficult.  But if you take the time with them, not only will they learn amateur radio but their overall vocabulary level will rise.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: