Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Age for ham??  (Read 1977 times)
WEBQAZ

Ignore
« on: May 11, 2000, 11:22:55 AM »

Is there any legal age you have you be to get a ham license??

e-mail me or post

webqaz@i-is.com  

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2000, 07:43:41 AM »

I believe it says in the FCC Rule book that there is NO minimum age to get a ham licence. From what I've heard, many children get their first license at the age of 10 or even less.
KORN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2000, 01:25:14 AM »

there is none im 14 and i have one comeing for me any day now
W5UX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2000, 06:56:32 AM »

Couple of four year olds got ham tickets.  I believe the youngest extra was nine (20 wpm)
DJ1YFK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2000, 12:15:54 PM »

Here in DL there is also no (more) age limit for hams, and I think that's good so:
If a youngster IS able to pass the exam, why not giving him a ticket?
Age is no substitute to intelligence or skill Smiley

73!
   Fan, DJ1YFK (age 16, first lic with 13, class 1 with 14)

WT3A

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2000, 11:19:12 PM »

There should be a maximum age of 70, if you older than that,
you have to take an open book exam every year and the FCC puts an endorsement on your license "HOLDER SHALL NOT CONVERSE MEDICAL PROBLEMS ON FREQUENCIES BELOW OR ABOVE 30 MHZ"

73'S
KB9NGI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2000, 12:46:01 PM »

Why?  I hear all sorts of older folks on the air and most of them are fine operators except for a few with brain damage from high speed code use and that is rare: not unknown, but rare.

FWIW
de KB9NGI
WA4DOU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2000, 06:13:40 PM »

WT3A, you're a jerk for writing something like that. Roy WA4DOU
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2000, 10:41:59 AM »

Sorry the previous poster has no sense of humor. I thought it was hillarious! BTW, I'm not 70 yet but will be there in a few years. I would prefer to see the phrase "over, over" banned. I can find no such proword anywhere. I put people who use double over's in the same catagory as those who say "roger" instead of yes or affirmative.
ALESSIO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2000, 04:26:13 PM »

Here in Italy you must be 16 to get your licence, but you can get the patent at anyage because it allows you to use the station of a licenced ham.

I'm 16 and I have just passed electronics and 40 words pm cw exams.

Believe to me: if I could, I would got my licence 6 or 7 years ago.

Ham radio is a great and intelligent hobby, anyone should be able to try with his exams (I'm not saying to get a licence!!!!).

Be carefull: if we don't let teenagers try, we'll lose new hams. They are our future's dxers....

73 de Alex.
AD8K

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2001, 05:10:15 PM »

Ham radio is growing, believe it or not, as you may have been told by the Macheivielian magazine peddlers.  Fifty year algo kids would get there tickets.  Well the average age of new hams entering is now much, much older.  So don't panic go back and read the first sentence.  I think ARRL is still spending money marketing to kids.

What kind of rig would a kid get?  Go spend a thousand bucks.  Most parents will say "No way"  I built most of my first rigs.  Rigs like Viking "Adventures" were available for litte money.  I worked the world with it. Who is catering to the kids.  No one.  Qrp sucks for a rank beginner.  I am no stranger to QRP and learned many skills after about 25 years.  It is a special skill.  I get through real quick with my  KW.  Beginner kids would be out the door if they started with QRP.  

Don't panic or sould like you are unless you have magazines to sell.  Operate and operate often.  Tell everyone you are a ham.  And stop calling it a Hobby.
It is simply Amateur Radio.

And don't let your CB upbringing show.  That fad is over, the public thinks they are crazy.  Roger, roger, over, over.  That is where that came from.
N3IZN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2002, 08:19:16 PM »

"Couple of four year olds got ham tickets."

Is this documented somewhere?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: