Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why a licence???  (Read 3928 times)
JED

Ignore
« on: February 06, 2002, 02:53:22 PM »

Ok I am intrested in amature radio but theres this whole licenceing thing.What is the purpose of licencing of HAM users?What is the penalty if one was to operate a radio without a licence?

I have a big problem with licencing.I feel that freedom of speech covers speech where ever it my occur including on radio waves.

Id really love to get into this hobby but wont if I have to submitt to some form of govt licencing.

KC9AZL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2002, 03:47:10 PM »

The pointo f liscencing is to keep trouble out of ham radio, I only listened to the 11 meter cb band once and I first word I heard was motherf*****.  To keep that out of ham radio we have exams also hams need callsigns for identification.  We also must keep interference down and keep the ham bands uncrowded.  The exams are not that hard so I think you should get a arrl liscence manual and study for your ticket if you would like more info on me click on my callsign here.
HODAG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2002, 04:13:34 PM »

The penalty is $10,000 fine and/or one year in jail.  Second offense is two years in jail.  Other sanctions like monetary and asset forfeiture apply as well but I won't bore you with the details.

I understand the first amendment but the FCC is not about restricting your free speech (except certain restrictions on profanity).  All they want to do is insure the orderly use of a limited public asset, namely radio spectrum.  If anybody could broadcast any time on any frequency, nobody could enjoy television, use a cell phone or rely on the police to get an emergency call.

Do get a license.  The test is not that hard, you can get a book or there are lots of free or VERY low cost classes available.  Besides, you might meet some fun and interesting people along the way.
JED

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2002, 04:45:28 PM »

I understand TV,cell and emergancy bands needing to be free of other transmissions.But I cannot see why one needs a licence to operate within amature bands, I mean these bands are mostly used for fun.All the licencing does is create a list of licencees.

Is keeping people from using teh F word worth making everyone get a licence?Huh??

This all just seems rediculous to me.Yall listen for me Ill be the one with the garbbeled and unrecognizable call sign.LOL
KC9AZL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2002, 08:16:23 PM »

Every now and then emergency traffic goes through the ham bands.  It is also required by international regulations that hams take a test.  Plus most of all if there was no liscence everyone would be a ham and have super crowded bands that could not support all activity for the amount of spectrum.  The HF spectrum is pretty small the 70 cm ham band is wider than all HF spectrum and that includes non ham services.  By the way 70 cm is uhf ham band not HF.
JED

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2002, 08:40:52 PM »

Personally I think the licencing is to keep an otherwise worthless govt alfhabet agency a reason to exist.
I dont think many more than already are would start transmitting on amature bands if they were to abolish the licencing requirements, its not like peopel are lined up waiting for HAM to drop the licencing requirments so they too can talk.If they were there wouldnt be licencing requirments.CTCSS and encryption methods could help open up more bandwidith even if it were to explode in popularity due to a dropping of licencing.
It would not be the first time or the last time the US would break a contract or treaty with other nations (remember the death penalty to young offenders stuff?).
KD5OWO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2002, 10:09:10 PM »

Sir,
   I just got my License in June but my father and other family memeber have been a ham longer then I.  Amateur Radio even sometimes confuse people at my school and elsewhere.  Other teens in my 8th grade class are always asking me why do I need a License to talk on a Radio why not get a CB..well I once thought I could not pass the test and thought about getting a CB now I am a Tech and soon to be a general like my father so I can talk on HF bands.  I will now stop telling you my whole life story and get to the point.  The License is not to keep you from using Profanity on the air because I have at times heard Profanity on the Ham and yet I am shocked by it well it happens.  The reason (In my Oppion) for a License is to keep people who should be on CB off the radio these are people who use Profanity yes but also those people out there who would be just getting in and talking on the radio all the time makeing there own names and things.  I think you should get your Tech Class license you can practice on this site for the tests and buy a Book at radio shack.  If you live in a big city more then likely there will be a Class for ham radio and most of the time these classes are free tho I have seen many that cost very little money.  To add everything up you can enjoy ham radio for about $300.00 that is with a 2meter Ham radio and a Dipole Antenna (Or whatever kinda antenna you wanna buy) there will be a small testing fee and thats it.  If you wanna spend a little extra  cash cheak out a Duelbander. When you get your tech license and start talking for awhile and meeting other hams you will soon wanna.   Its like the book If you give a mouse a Craker if you give a mouse a cracker "if you give a Person a Ham radio License"  

Steve
KD5OWO
AB8LQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2002, 04:37:11 PM »

Licensing is required because ham operators are supposed to be able and willing to help in emergency situations, thus a minimal knowledge of procedures and operations is needed.

Further, licenses are granted to promote a knowledge of radio operations and theory, and to promote experimentation within the radio bands.  If I recall correctly, amateur radio operators are then only group allowed to build and use their own radios without permission from the FCC.

If you don't want a license, use CB.  Now-a-days, that's what it's there for.

Sean
AB8LQ
KD5OWO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2002, 05:12:11 PM »

Right on there sean.  I do try to talk people in getting a License but alot of the time things don't out.  You know something funny today I was asking a friend who's dad is a truck driver if his dad has thought about getting a Ham license (Since today I have heard of many hams who drive trucks) He said he did not know.  He then asked why was there a need to get a license it is freedom of speech**The same argument JED was putting up**  Well has the other hams here have been trying to say Amateur radio is not just there for talking it is there for providing Communcations in emergencys..

JED,
   I think you should call around and see if there is any VE sessions in your town study hard go take the test get your tech license it is not very hard.  Had sean said if you don't want to get a license get on 11m (CB)

Steven Anness
KD5OWO
N0RKX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2002, 09:15:40 PM »

The "freedom of speech" argument is ridiculous. Using the amateur radio spectrum is a privelege granted by the government, just like driving a car, rather than a "right" spelled out anywhere in the constitution.

The government has the responsibilty by international treaty to make sure those using the amateur allocations can show some modicum of technical understanding and know how.

It's just too easy to get a license these days for any sort of "I'm too busy", "I'm not an engineer", "I don't have to because it's freedom of speech" argument to stand up. Just get a study guide, put in the time required, and get a license.

BRS183557

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2002, 08:56:14 AM »

To be honest i think that licencing is a good thing. Bearing in mind that it reletivly easy now to gain a licence in britain, the main point of the whole licencing idea is to stop any old idiot from going on the air and mucking everyone up. The licence is to basicly check that the guy who wants to talk over the radio has a knolege of what they are doing. If someone ignores these rules they could cause problems to other services.

As for cb in Britain you have to apply for a licence to make sure you follow these rules though you dont have to take an exam.
JED

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2002, 02:17:44 PM »

So since the US constitution was writen before radios and cars it does not pertain to them?
Is it the same way about the 2nd amendment?

I will just have to agree to disagree with you all on this subject.I will not submitt to something I feel is wrong.
Im sure alot of people here would try to play "fox hunt" with any one who dare operate a radio without government permission.For that reason I do not transmit.
KD5OWO

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2002, 04:59:13 PM »

JED,  
    Stop talking about your rights the whole fact is you must have a FCC license to talk on amateur radio if you don't want one go buy a CB.  
WF0H

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2002, 12:01:51 PM »

Actually, the biggest reason for requiring a license is to prove that you can operate a radio safely and without interference to other critical radio services.

Amateur operators are allowed to use up to 1500W RF output - that's enough to do serious damage to the human body, particularly at certain frequencies. Uncle Sam doesn't want you to blind your neighbors and family. Also, it is extremely easy to generate spurious signals at amateur power levels that could interfere with police, fire, aircraft, and ambulance communications (I know this from personal bad experience!). The government needs to know how to find you, and you must know how to correct such problems if and when they happen.  It's also nice if you can stay out of the neighbor's TV.

People see hams using low power VHF gear, and think that's all there is to it. Long conversations on UHF FM with a handheld antenna close to the head can cause problems. If you studied for your license, you would know that it is a poor idea to mount your VHF or UHF mobile antenna in an area where your body will be directly exposed to the RF without the shielding afforded by a car body.

I guess if you can't understand the need for regulation, you either don't realize how much impact a high powered radio transmitter can have, or you are by nature a scofflaw, and therefore not someone who will ever be happy with Amateur Radio. Ham Radio is mostly self-policing, and we aim to keep it that way.

Life is too short to be a bootlegger, study for the test.  
NCUNIT33

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2002, 01:01:42 PM »

WHY DO WE NEED A LICENCE TO DRIVE A CAR? WELL I THINK IT IS A GOOD IDEA TO LICENCE HAM RADIO AS A CONTROL MEASURE.  IT ALSO TELLS US THAT YOU WOULD HAVE SOME UNDERSTANDING OF RADIO TECHNICAL INFORMATION  AND SAFETY .ALSO I BELEIVE CB SHOULD HAVE SOME SORT OF LICENCE TO HELP CONTROL IT'S ACTIVITY AS WELL.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: