Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what is the best book for Extra ticket ?  (Read 986 times)
N5EIL

Ignore
« on: November 06, 2002, 07:28:49 AM »

I am wanting to upgrade to Extra and am wanting to know what is some of the best books for doing that .
I have youed the Radio Shack books for  my tech and General . and codequick for my code. anyhelp would be great.

73's and good Dx'ing
N5EIL, Neil
K1ZC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2002, 06:07:07 PM »

The ARRL booked looked pretty good.  My local library didn't have it so I got it on inter-library loan.  They called me on a Monday to tell me that it had arrived, but I had passed the test on Saturday.  I had a quick flip through the book, and returned it.

The way I studied was to make up a study guide.  I downloaded the question pool and tested myself on every question.  If I got something wrong, it created a bullet point in a MS-Word document.  Then, I used the ARRL Handbook to look up the answers.  Along the way I learned a lot about ham radio besides what was on the test.

Once I had the study guide finished (about 10 pages of things to learn) I studied until I knew a particular topic.  As I learned, I deleted the bullets and when I got to about one page of bullets, I took the test.  This is not the conventional way to prepare, but I really learned and retained the material that way.   Your mileage may vary.  Good luck.

KC5MFA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2002, 09:48:05 PM »

I have always had good luck with the Gordon West books.  He goes out of his way to explain everything in plain English and with a sense of humor.  You can get them from W5YI at www.w5yi.org.  I've spent some time with Gordon West and consider him a friend.  No, I don't get a percentage of the sales!

Good luck,

Don Wilbanks
KC5MFA
KG4TUL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2002, 06:20:30 AM »

I have a related question. In upgrading to Extra, I'd like to learn more about the electronics theory, rather than merely learning the answers. The ARRL study guide is OK, but not exactly what I have in mind. I have the ARRL Handbook, and if there's nothing else out there I'll just make up my own electronics course by flipping back and forth between the ARRL study guide and an assortment of sections in the Handbook. I was just curious if anyone's already put together all of that in a single volume.
KM5JQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2002, 09:58:51 AM »

If you're interested in electronic theory and are willing to take time to study, I recommend books by Robert L. Shrader. Some of his books can be found at Amazon.com. Years ago I studied for my commercial FCC first class ticket using Electronic Communication. Thankfully I only paid $20 for the book new, I see it gos for $100 now. I'm glad I kept the book because over the years it's been available for brushing up on things that I'd gotten rusty on. Good luck in your quest for information.
KB5IAV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2003, 11:52:24 PM »

I passed my Amateur Extra a couple of weeks ago scoring 45/50.  I used the Gordon West book, which I thought was excellent.  I also used an old ARRL Extra Class manual I had bought several years ago, but an illness put my Extra studies on hold and I didn't get back to it until this year.

It's also good to have a scientific calculator with trig and log functions on it, since that is on the test.  I also used the practice exams here at Eham.net.

Good luck to you.

73 de KB5IAV

AE0Z

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2003, 04:54:05 PM »

I used the ARRL Extra Class License Manual, the one with the detail in it and not just the question pool.  I prefer to have the subject covered in some detail instead of studying the test questions.  I also took a class offered by my club and that was a good confidence builder.  I took many practice tests, not quite one a day but close, and that told me which sections to re-read in the book.  For myself, I would say the jump from Tech to General was much bigger than the jump to Extra.

Howard AE0Z
1 Peter 4:10
K1RDD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2003, 07:47:02 PM »

I used a combination of the Gordon West book, the ARRL book and on line tests. Not having any electronics background, I had to approach each section differently. For areas that I did not know about, but was able to learn and understand (e.g. antennas), I used the ARRL book which goes into good explanation and detail. For areas that I will never understand (e.g. polar/rectangular coordinates), I used the Gordon West book to try to find memorization tricks. Then, I took as many sample tests as possible, and charted which questions/sections I was getting wrong. Some sections that were beyond me for the most part, I just ignored and figured I'd take the miss, and spent more time on areas I had a better chance of learning and getting right.
It took me 1-1/4 hours to finish the test, but I passed. Hope you do as well.
--... ...--
Doug (K1RDD)  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: