Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upgrade: Advanced to Extra?  (Read 1069 times)
WA1USV

Ignore
« on: September 24, 2002, 09:01:24 PM »

What are (if any) increase in operating privilages in upgrading? Been off HF for a while and am just catching up. My previous attempted to get extra class were hindered by the 20 wpm, which now, is no more.

Does the new general class have the same frequency allocations as my (grandfathered) advanced?

tnx,
john
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2002, 07:58:54 AM »

John -

1. There are dedicated Extra-only sub-bands in the 80, 40, 20 and 15 meter bands. They exist in both the CW and phone sections in all but 40m (CW only there). In all cases, it's the lower 25 kHz of the sub-band. You can see this very nicely in the chart available from the ARRL at:

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/Hambands_color.pdf

2. No, Generals don't have the same privileges as Advanced. Even though the FCC is not issuing any new Advanced-class licenses, there are still portions of spectrum allocated to only to Advanced (and higher) classes. You can see this on the same chart as above.

Steve
W3HF
KA0MR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2002, 04:08:17 PM »

Best thing about being an Extra is you don't have to worry about being out of bounds on frequency. Just listen for voice or cw and you will know where to be. You either want to talk with your mouth or talk with your fist.
Bob
KK6DP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2002, 02:16:52 PM »

Another reason to upgrade to Extra is so you can participate fully as a Volunteer Examiner.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2002, 05:52:42 PM »

And Extra's are better lookin' than the rest of 'em...!

- AC5UP

Never change a password on a Friday                
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2002, 10:37:36 AM »

"RE: Upgrade: Advanced to Extra?  Reply  
by KA0MR on October 2, 2002  Mail this to a friend!  
Best thing about being an Extra is you don't have to worry about being out of bounds on frequency. Just listen for voice or cw and you will know where to be. You either want to talk with your mouth or talk with your fist.
Bob"

Not quite correct.  Different regions and countries have different limits on the band edges.  For example, Europe cannot go above 7.150 at all in the 40 meter band and can use voice down in the area where the US is limited to CW.  I believe Canada also can use voice down in what for us is the CW portion.  So know your band limits and don't just answer any old signal.  If you want to work Europe on 40 meters on voice, it has to be split operation.

KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2002, 08:17:10 PM »

The best reason to upgrade to Extra (IMHO) is for the extra DX stations that will be available to you on CW. If you are interested in DXCC (especially DXCC Honor Roll or 5BDXCC), then the extra ticket really helps.
KX8N

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2003, 11:59:59 PM »

I upgraded for two reasons.  One, for the extra frequencies.  And two, I am a VE.  If your area is limited on VE's, a general class VE can be a very limiting factor at a test session if the other two VE's there are extras.  As a team you can only give Elements one and two, you would need a third extra to give elements three and four.

As far as frequencies, "new generals" have the same exact frequencies as "old generals" before the restructuring (they gained absolutely no new frequencies, and lost none), grandfathered Advanced licensees have the same exact frequencies THEY had before the restructuring (they have acess to more frequencies than Generals, but not as many as Extras), and of course Extras have access to all U.S. frequencies.

Dave
KX8N
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2003, 11:42:11 PM »

I agree with N8UZE.  Don't just answer any signal you hear, and think you are in compliance in the frequency privileges!  (Out of band [or sub-band] is especially inexcusable for Amateur Extra-Class  operators!)  Mexican and Canadian operators have different privileges on the amateur bands, but that doesn't give U.S. Amateurs the right to operate outside of the FCC designated sub-bands.  I've often heard U.S. operators on 14.143 and 14.147 MHz.  Where are the OO's?  Or where are their band plan charts?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: