Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Extra Class- What are my chances?  (Read 683 times)
K5CEY

Ignore
« on: June 12, 2003, 01:48:40 AM »

I've had my General ticket since 1956,the written and code test being administered by an examiner at the FCC office in Dallas,Texas.
   With incentive licensing, which came about while I was serving in the Armed Forces from '66 to '69, I lost a lot of spectrum space.
   In order to regain what I had to begin with, I would have to up grade to Extra.
   As I understand, to get the Extra, all I need to do is pass a 50 question exam.
   Has anyone taken it recently?
Is it possible for a regular "Joe" to pass?
K1ZC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2003, 09:15:52 AM »

There are 104,000 hams with Extra class licenses, and plenty of us are "regular Joes" as you put it.  Get the ARRL study guide and do a bit of homework; I bet you will do just fine.
W8BBS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2003, 01:32:10 PM »

I passed my extra last september.  I'd suggest taking the practice test at www.wvara.org.  After taking it enough times, you'll be able to pass it everytime.  When I took my extra test, there were lots of questions i had no idea about.  But, I knew I passed teh practice test over and over, so I just guessed and went on.

Good luck & 73s
bruce
K5CEY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2003, 09:18:23 PM »

Thanks K1ZC and W8BBS for the response.
  I did go to wvara.org and tried a sample test. Made a score of 68. Hmmmm, not very impressive.
  But mostly what I missed were things I'd never heard of.(some things have changed since '56, Hi!)
  Think what I'll do is acquire an ARRL license manual and go from there.
                 Thanks again, John  K5CEY
W5HTW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2003, 03:20:11 PM »

Joe ya shoulda done it in 69 when it was without all that gosh-darned digital stuff!  I tried one of the sample ones today and I got 82, which ain't too smashing for an old professional ET, broadcast engineer, commo tech in the govt, and a ham for nearly 48 years.  I did the Extra thingie in 69, got the ticket in hand, Jan, 1970 (as then W3GAB.)  Best thing I know about my NOR gates is neither the horse NOR the cattle can get through them, long as I remember to keep them shut.  I admit, if I had been employed in a field that required I learn digital stuff I probably would have learned that and forgotten the tube stuff.  But some dinosaurs are happy being dinosaurs.  

At least, Joe, you don't have to sweat out the 20 WPM code test these days.  I know, even though I was employed as an HF guy in the gov't, and using code, I probably barely squeaked by that one, due to nervousness and sweaty palms!  It helped, though, that the FCC engineer in Washington DC where I took the test, first "mistakenly" put on a 25 WPM commercial tape and let it run about a minute.  Then he said "Whoops"  and he put on the right tape.  Actually I am sure he did that consciously, to give us hams that feeling of slower code after we sat scratching our collective pencils at that 25 wpm test.  A dab of psychology, for which I was grateful.

Good luck.  Grab the license study guide and go for it.  There are ten year old kids getting the Extra today so it must be not quite as formidible (to those of the digital age - still is for me) as sometimes perceived.  

Ed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: