Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Practice Exams on E ham and QRZ ?  (Read 780 times)
K5CEY

Ignore
« on: July 12, 2003, 12:59:47 AM »

I have a tenative VE exam scheduled for next week end.
 This past week, I've been taking practice exams on E ham and QRZ. However, it seems that the questions are very repetitive. Seems like there's a bunch of questions that never show up. I have taken probably 60 or 80 tests. I've scored very well thus far. I feel like I had better review the whole license manual several times before I take a crack at the test. I'm concerned whether these tests will be representitve of the actual exam. I don't expect perfection, but I'd sure hate to flunk it. Any comments from someone who's been there?
                 John  K5CEY
K1ZC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2003, 12:19:14 PM »

John,

I think the practice tests are a pretty accurate predictor.  For the tests there are 35 topic categories (50 for Extra)and ten or more questions per topic.  Most of the practice exams just do a random draw for each topic.  Due to the randomness of it all, it is entirely possible that you can do many tests and still not hit every question.

In my experience, those that are consistently getting a good score on the practice tests get something very close to that on the real thing.  So, if you have studied to the point where you are only missing one or two questions each time, I think you are ready for that upgrade.  Good luck with it.
K5CEY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2003, 05:49:09 PM »

K1ZC, thank you for the response. Yes, I figured that each time a test is pulled up, it is just a random selection. But some questions seem to pop up almost every time. One thing I've noticed is that as I get more confident, sometimes I don't pay close attention to the question and I will miss read it. On the actual exam, I plan to carefully read each one. All I can do is try to be fully prepared.
                 John  K5CEY
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2003, 10:53:08 PM »

In the question pool, you will find that the same information is presented in different ways in several questions.  If one learns the material, rather than memorizing answers to questions, then the tests become much simpler.  For example, if you know how to calculate a 1/2 wave dipole, it doesn't matter which dipole question you get out of the several that are in the pool.
W5HTW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2003, 11:25:10 PM »

I wonder about the randomness of both mentioned sites. Take a look at the little personal blurbs about ham stations which are allegedly random.  The same five or six continually show up out of "thousands on our web site."  But you'll see the same station descriptions, or one of say five to ten, every time you log on.  Often I can log on six times in two days and get the same station description fifty percent of the time.

Same goes with the "Strays."  I would not be surprised, therefore, if the 'randomness' of the test questions also fails the test of randomness.  Can't say it does or it doesn't, but you are right to take note if you see the same questions repeatedly.  Over on QRZ the "trivia" questions seem to repeat frequently, also.  Perhaps if you have doubts you should write to the webmaster of the sites and ask about the real random nature of these things.

Ed
K5CEY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2003, 01:30:55 AM »

As of last Saturday, it's a moot point. I'm now an Extra Lite.
               John  K5CEY/AEL
N5CTI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2003, 02:17:29 PM »

Congratulations, John! By the way, where on your license does it say "Extra Lite?" Mine just says "Amateur Extra."

Boyd / N5CTI
K5CEY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2003, 01:45:01 AM »

Boyd, it doesn't actually say "Extra Lite". But since then, I've learned that I'm an "Extra Medium".

Based on the following :

Extra Lite:  5 WPM code, and answers published to written exam.

Extra Medium: 13 WPM code, (hard copy, no games),and answers published to written exam.

Extra Heavy:  20 WPM code, (hard copy, no games),and you had to sweat it out and have some idea of the theory.

John   K5CEY

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: