Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New call sign issuance...  (Read 787 times)
N0YVW

Ignore
« on: August 11, 2003, 12:41:06 AM »

OK...I guess I'm a sucker for asking, but...

I'm currently studying to upgrade to my Extra-class license.  I'm considering throwing my name into the new-call lottery when I take the exam, but I've got a question...what are they issuing for new Extra-class calls out here in 0-land?  I know all the 2x1 & 1x2 are long-gone, probably also 1x3 (which I am now anyway, so why throw my name in the lottery), but are they issuing 2x3 or 2x2 for new calls in 0-land right now?

I'm just curious.  For me, it's kind of a matter of vanity to get a new call, but it's also a matter of vanity that it *not* be a vanity call! ;-)
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2003, 02:28:05 AM »

Call signs are issued in a sequential manner, regardless  of License class, (I believe.)

So a new call you receive would be a 2x3 call that follows the sequence of new calls issued.  
K1ZC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2003, 09:11:57 AM »

You would get a sequential sign, but I think it would be a 2X2 if you are an extra.  If you look on VanityHQ.com, you will see a list recently issued calls.  The most recent "0 land" extra call issued was AB0YX, so it looks like you would be in line for an AB0Z? if you do it soon.
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2003, 06:48:12 PM »

K1CZ said:

>You would get a sequential sign, but I think it would >be a 2X2 if you are an extra. If you look on >VanityHQ.com, you will see a list recently issued >calls. The most recent "0 land" extra call issued was >AB0YX, so it looks like you would be in line for an >AB0Z? if you do it soon.

You would get a 2x2 call beginning with AB.  If it hasn't been issued, the very next call would be AB0YZ.  The next set of available call signs would be AB0ZA through AB0ZZ.  The next set of calls after that would start with AC0AA.  I don't know how fast they are going through the 2x2 group in your area but a large number of hams in my area keep their old calls when they upgrade to extra so they are going rather slowly.  A friend of mine just upgraded at the end of June and received AB8RH.
WD4MKQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2003, 12:27:17 PM »

perhaps someone can answer this question.  On the "New Hams" section at vanityhq.com, the recently awarded non-vanity call signs are listed.  Under the 4th district, 2 of the extra class hams got 2x2 calls beginning with A, while one of them got a 2x3 beginning with K.  anyone know why this might be?  is it just luck which one you get?  

--steve
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2003, 08:21:54 AM »

It means that the 4 call district is now out of 2x2 sequential call signs beginning with A.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: