Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham call-sign on CB?  (Read 6194 times)
TKV47

Ignore
« on: November 16, 2003, 09:09:38 PM »

The short version of the question is this: is it illegal to use a Ham call-sign on a CB.

Longer: I've read both 95 and 97, and cannot find an answer. Part 95 is pretty fluid about how one identifies; 97 notes that the signs are issued to the station and the operator, but if I go to some other station and transmit, I'd use my operator license.

Now, I'm not operating an amateur class radio when using a CB, but I am operating a radio on public airways, and my call-sign would pretty much identify me to anyone listening.

I have a CB in my shack that I keep tuned to channel 9, so as to provide service, if it is needed. I've not actually talked on that rig for some years now... Thing is: the habit of saying my call-sign.

Do I need to flinch if, on CB it comes out? Have I committed a crime by saying "KG6TKV" on a CB?

Tracy
KG6TKV
KC8KXI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2003, 07:30:36 PM »

The rules and regs specify that you must id with your call sign on frequencies that you are authorized on for that particular call sign.  Therefor, no call sign on CB.  But if you slip, it's not like they will be hunting you down.

kc8kxi
AD7DB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2003, 12:36:18 PM »

When anything is allowed, nothing is forbidden.
Who's going to care what you call youself on the CB?
Stay away from using profanity etc (things the FCC might actually care about) and you're fine on CB.
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2003, 12:33:01 AM »

The same sort of thing happens to many of us when we shift back and forth between amateur frequencies and MARS frequencies - occasionally the wrong call sign gets used.

No big deal. We just ID with the correct call sign while everyone listening chuckles over the memory lapse. Smiley

Don't lose any sleep over it if you make the faux paux. You wouldn't be the first and I guarantee you won't be the last.

Lon
KA0MR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2003, 10:25:34 PM »

Deja Vu havent we seen this question before.

Flame Jockeys where are you KC8KXI gave the same answer and correct answer I might add as I did and you guys diced me up in a million pieces.

Don't let us down sick your dogs on him.

KC8KXI your effort is noble but one you will regret on this post.

Bob KA0MR
Yes folks I'm baaaaaccckk !!!
AF4KK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2003, 12:40:57 PM »

Using you call sign on the CB band wouldn't be a bad idea. It would "show" others that you are an actual radio operator who took the effort to test for a license and not just some "yahoo" who picked up a mike for the first time!
AC3P

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2003, 02:45:55 PM »

I would definitely NOT use my ham call on CB. The FCC could cite you for operating out of band. After all when you use your call sign you are acting under the station license granted by the FCC. Your station is not authorized to operate on non ham frequencies.

Too many of us, myself included, use our call signs as nicknames, when in fact the purpose of the call sign is to identify the station.

So to avoid any possible hassles from the FCC I only use my call on the ham bands.

WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2003, 07:43:26 PM »

AC3P:

Interesting perspective.  But your point is that it would (or could) be foolish (feel free to use other terms here,) not necessarily illegal.  
    In short, since CB currently has no ID REQUIREMENTS, any ID or "handle" (and the term "handle"  FAR predates the CB service) is allowed.  So, an Amateur call on CB would just be another "handle" consisting of letters and a number.
AC3P

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2003, 05:01:09 PM »

WA9SVD

Don't know if it's foolish or not but IMOP it's risky.

Look at it from the FCC monitoring station's point of view. There is a radio station with a call sign on a frequency not authorized to that call sign. The fellow on duty probably has a procedure to follow that requires writing a report.

The report then goes to either Riley or the local FCC Bureau who either issues a friendly warning letter or citation to appear on the internet.

The operator has a certain number of days to explain his station's operation and why it was operating out of band.

If he doesn't reply appropriately, he may get a visit from that friendly "white van". He may even have to go to a hearing to keep his license.

I don't think after all the effort of taking tests and the expense of buying the equipment and setting it up that it is worth risking the enjoyment on amateur radio to show off a call sign to the 11 meter crowd.  They propably would resent it and the FCC would be
would be breathing our necks.

The bottom line is amateur call signs and their use are governed by Pt. 97 not Pt. 95. That's the part of the rules the FCC will be citing.

K3FT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2003, 06:20:39 PM »

Folks.. folks.. relax!

The rules for Part 95 (which cover the Citizens Radio Service (CB) DO NOT specify that ANY callsign is required. ERGO.. if NONE is specified then none is required. If none is required then you CAN'T be held accountable for either USING one or NOT USING one. It's your choice as to what you do.

So... you CAN IDENT with ANYTHING your little old heart desires. If you want to use your ham call.. HAVE AT IT!  If you want to use a 'handle' like 'SKIPSHOOTER'.. have at it!  If you want to use 'WBAL-AM RADIO TECHNICAL WIZARD'.. have at it.

The RULES specify technical items but leave the 'way you ID' totally absent any direction.

SO.. NO DIRECTION means that you can't be fined, cited, hurt, damaged, visited, abducted, taken prisoner, shot, or sued for using your ham call on CB.  The men in the mysterious white (or green) van aren't going to show up at your door and take you away to some supersecret detention center in Laurel, MD and make you listen to 24 hours of channel 19 audio tapes.

BIG GRIN!

NOW.. as to AC3P's statement that he wouldn't want to put his ham call on CB.. I agree. I respect my ham call and folks on the ham bands tend to share the same level ofrespect for ham calls.  BUT CB'ers share ZERO respect for callsigns so odds are they would look at you as some kind of interloper/self-righteous/throwing your 'elitist nature cuz you have a ham callsign' around and harass you.

I wouldn't besmirch my ham call (or that which a ham call engenders) but putting it out for ridicule on the CB bands. UH UH.  Who needs the abuse?

That's the short of it.

K3FT
K3FT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2003, 06:28:16 PM »

One additional item to clarify things.

Some will say 'BUT IF YOU USE YOUR HAM CALLSIGN ON THE CB RADIO CHANNELS THE FCC'LL GETCHA!"

Nope.. not at all.  If you are using your callsign you aren't bootlegging. Since no callsigns are required on CB.. you can use your ham call BUT I won't for the reasons listed above by myself and AC3P.

BTW. speaking of NON-RF usages of your callsign.

I did a search on K3FT on GOOGLE. Guess what turned up..

My callsign and a couple of other K3's I know which were assigned to the NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE automated weather monitoring station.

They DON'T transmit the callsign so it's not onthe air (whcih would be a violation becuase the NWS frequencies are used by LICENSED folks).. but K3FT is the identifier tha they attached to a station in Montana!
AB8RU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2003, 09:56:03 PM »

I will disagree with those who are not up on their CFR 47 Regs, your Ham Call is for Ham use, CB was assigned a call of either KAA-0000, KAAA-0000, or your Initials such as John Doe KJD-49501 I'll used a Grand Rapids, MI. Post Office Box.

If you get a card from the OO, its yer license !

the FCC might ( If they read this web page ) issue a Letter advising of you that you are not suppoused to use your call on CB.

Again I would not risk My Licenses to do something like that anyway, I was licensed now Lifetime myself on CB but I have better things to do than to be on 11 Meters.

WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2003, 04:03:37 AM »

by AB8RU on December 18, 2003
                                                                               Mail this to a friend!
                I will disagree with those who are not up on their CFR 47 Regs, your Ham Call is for Ham use, CB was assigned a call of
                either KAA-0000, KAAA-0000, or your Initials such as John Doe KJD-49501 I'll used a Grand Rapids, MI. Post Office
                Box.

If you get a card from the OO, its yer license !

the FCC might ( If they read this web page ) issue a Letter advising of you that you are not suppoused to use your call on
                CB.

Again I would not risk My Licenses to do something like that anyway, I was licensed now Lifetime myself on CB but I have
                better things to do than to be on 11 Meters.
===========================

I must respectfully disagree, although I'm not sure why, except for the academic aspect of the issue.  (And please don't imply that those that differ with your opinion are not familiar with Part §47,  Part §97, or any of the other FCC rules...)

You yourself said CB "WAS" assigned calls.  That is true, but the operative word is "WAS."  They are no longer issued; that was in the far past.   It is no longer a licensed service.  

The CURRENT FCC rules for CB "suggest" methods of identification, but do not require an ID (handle in the CB vernacular) to follow those recommendations, nor do they require ANY ID at all.
  The FCC also does NOT require that ID follow their suggestions; they are just that, SUGGESTIONS.

Thus, while the wisdom of using an Amateur Callsign on CB may be questionable, if otherwise operating legally (within the CB regulations with type accepted equipment) identifying with an Amateur call would amount to a "handle" consisting of what would probably be recognized by most CB operators as a random  combination of letters and a number.              
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2003, 02:10:21 AM »

AB8RU:

While not exactly something to be desired, an OO report in NO WAY results in a loss of license.  An OO report will be filed in summary to the FCC, but will then be reviewed.  And believe it or not, OO's CAN be wrong in their interpretation of the rules.  ONLY if the FCC finds reasonable cause that a violation has occurred will they send a letter (Rileygram) asking for an explanation.
    And my understanding is that the OO's are specifically assigned monitoring responsibilities on the AMATEUR BANDS.  They probably shouldn't and don't have authority to monitor the CB frequencies.  (That's why they are part of the AMATEUR Auxiliary.)

They have more than enough work to monitor the Amateur frequencies.
TKV47

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2004, 04:29:49 PM »

As promised, here's the FCC's reply:

To: tracy@xxxx.com
Subject: FCC Consumer Center response from representative TSR41

You are receiving this email in response to your inquiry to the FCC on 1/8/2004 2:48:59 PM.

CB communications may be IDed as specified in Section 95.417.  Use of an amateur radio call sign is not permitted under this rule.  We realize, however, that many individuals are authorized to use more than one radio service and therefore have more than one call sign authorized for their use.  We also realize that occasionally inadvertent errors do occur on the air.  In that your mistaken use of an amateur service call sign to ID a CB communications appears to be an inadvertent error, we do not believe that any enforcement action is necessary or warranted.  Be more careful and don't do it again.

Representative Number : TSR41
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: