The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well, just a few hours now  (Read 6000 times)
3DAYS

Ignore
« on: February 07, 2004, 05:03:40 AM »

Got my element 2 Thursday night.  Attempted Element 1, almost passed.  (I hadn't completed my Gordon West tapes yet.)

Finished tapes today, been reviewing like mad.  Can't sleep.  Got a 2 hour drive ahead of me (going to Huntsville from Birmingham), gotta be there at 8am.

If I pass my Element 1 I'm gonna attempt the General test.  I'm running at about an 75% pass rate on the various internet practice tests, which are basically the only study material I have.

Did I mention I'm too excited to sleep?

Sold my freebanding Ranger RCI-2970DX a week ago in preparation.  

Ordered a Yaesu ft-857 w/ATAS 120, and I'm planning on buying a Yaesu VX-7R from Gigaparts while I'm up there tomorrow.  (Prolly get a CW key as well, I'm anxious to CW on HF provided I pass...) I traded recently on an Icom 746 for home use as well (non-Pro model).

Gotta figure out what I'm gonna do for an antenna for that Icom, as I live in a duplex townhome.  Granted, they're pretty lax here, but I can't be too conspicuous with anything...dipole stretched around the house siding with a 10m/2m combo vertical?  (I mean 2 antennas on the same mast)  I may be able to get away with a low mount behind the house, off the deck.  It won't clear the rooftop, but at least it'll be SOMETHING.

Did I mention I'm too excited to sleep?

Anyway, just wanted to share with you guys...ex-freebander headed your way.
Wish me luck!  (Please)
K0RFD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2004, 04:46:45 PM »

Welcome to Ham Radio.  Good luck on elements 1 and 3  and I hope you pass.  If you do, welcome to HF.

By the way--there is no such thing as a "freebander" because there are no "free" bands.  There are only unlicensed or underlicensed bootleg operators illegally using somebody else's frequency allocations.

Inventing a cutesy term to describe something (and I realize YOU didn't invent it) doesn't really make it acceptable; i.e., "file sharing" still equals "stealing".

Glad you've reformed and welcome aboard.  Be sure to remember where the General Class segments start and end, hihi.
3DAYS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2004, 08:14:19 PM »

Well, it's done.

Element 1, 2 AND 3!

I tried Element 4...don't want to talk about it.

Funny thing...I'm so sleepy (on hour 33 awake now), I started copying during the 'warmup' phase of the CW...zoned almost completely out...started to wonder a few minutes later when the test would start (was kind of expecting an announcement, 'that ends the warmup...do any changes to the volume, etc need to be made?')  when I noticed I had copied '73 SKSKSK'

Doh!  Test over...thought I had flubbed it completely.  Didn't have to worry about answering questions.  Good code run.

Guys, I'm NOT starting a no code/know code crapfest, but here's the deal.  From introduction to CW, to test = 8 days.  It CAN be done!  Just put some time into it!

This'll be my second (and last) thread as 3days...hopefully in a few days I'll have my callsign and be good to go!  

Yeehaw!
K0RFD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2004, 11:52:15 PM »

Yes, shoot, if *I* could do it, anybody can.
I wish I had done it back when I had more brain cells.

Welcome to HF.  Congrats.  It feels pretty good, doesn't it?
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004, 06:19:54 PM »

Congrats.  Glad you did it.  But I will suggest that for the benefit of others that you should be aware the normal person does need about 30 hours of study and practice to get 5wpm so don't let people get discouraged because they do not duplicate your feat.  You can of course be proud of the fact that you did it so quickly and brag about it. Just make sure the listener knows that is an unusual achievement not the norm.
3DAYS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2004, 06:03:51 PM »

Feels GREAT!

I wasn't really trying to brag, I was just trying to give some encouragement...basically meant, look what you can do if you try hard enough!  

You are correct however, after re-reading my last post, it did seem a bit braggadocious.

I'm sorry if it came across that way, I was simply trying to give a bit of encouragement.

Now...if you'll all excuse me...I have to go refresh the FCC's website a few more times...all this equipment sitting in front of me is MUCH more frustrating now that I KNOW I've passed...but still have no license.

AAARGH!

KC8AXJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2004, 06:46:21 PM »

Welcome to the "club".

GREAT accomplishment to nail all three !!

Steve
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004, 01:00:28 AM »

Oh I didn't think you were bragging too much.  You have every right to do so.  In today's world too many people are afraid to talk about their accomplishments.  So brag to your heart's content.  Just make sure that people know that your accomplishment is indeed unusual and that most do have to put more work into it.

Hope to work you on the air.
3DAYS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2004, 02:35:28 PM »

Heh...it's amazing how many dipoles you can make & string up while waiting on that little update to the FCC's database!

It's also giving me lots of time to get more familiar with my new VX-7R & get it programmed correctly with all the local repeaters & the routes I normally travel.

It's very nice to be able to now practice my CW without the worry of the test hanging over my head, it's more pleasureable now, less hectic & worrysome.

Hopefully Gigaparts will have those Vibroplex keys in stock soon & I'll be fully outfitted soon afterwards.  (On a side note, I was impressed when Jody(?) advised me AGAINST purchasing one they had in stock...it's nice to see a retailer more concerned with customer happiness & repeat business than making a few quick dollars.)

Started reviewing my Skywarn & ARES information too, I look forward to participating & giving a little 'back' to the community.  I'm working on a 'quick release' design for my ft-857 & ATAS 120 in order to provide quick, easy HF communications if needed.  After my 4 years in the Army, I understand the necessity of 'multi-purpose' equipment.

As soon as my callsign's posted, I'll place a notice here with my new login so as to avoid any confusion, as there'll be no need for my 3days account afterwards.

I greatly look forward to working the airwaves with you all.

Thanks!
WA9PWP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2004, 12:51:36 PM »

Hello,
  I also welcome you to the "wide world" of Ham Radio, HF and VHF can both be very exciting. I especially hope to contact you on CW on HF. Slow copying? No problem! Practice makes perfect( faster)!

73, Paul

KI4DYA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2004, 04:19:25 PM »

IT JUST POSTED!

Now it should be just a couple of days (Took Element 2 on a Thursday night, Element's 1 and 3 on Saturday morning) until it reflects my full privleges.

OK, 'nuff here...got some stuff to do!

Can't wait to talk with you guys.
AG4RQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2004, 12:18:10 PM »

Congrats Brent! Well done! Welcome to ham radio. Enjoy!

73 de Mark
AG4RQ
KJ7XJ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2004, 02:36:41 PM »

Good Job! Let me know when you get that key. I am relearning code and would love to try to work you.

de KJ7XJ Eric
KA0MR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2004, 05:32:25 PM »

I was amused at your excitment. We all have been there.
Ain't it great. Have fun and hope to work you.
Bob KAØMR
KC2IXE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2004, 08:56:53 PM »

Slight Hijack

I just became KC2IXE/AG today!!! Woo Hooo!  22 YEARS after I first tried code (and about 3 months after getting serious about studying code - hey, there was a long gap in the middle)  I passed.  The code was fairly simple.  Element 3 I JUST passed - or so I was told - they won't give you score, but....

I never studied for element 3 - figured I'd go get element 1, and if I did, I'd take 3 on a "flyer" - got it!  I understand I JUST missed element 4 Sad  Hey - so I'll actually study for it - doesn't hurt that I was an electronics tech for 10 years, even if that ended 12 years ago....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: