Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: license for commercial AM/FM station  (Read 823 times)
KB9YTQ

Ignore
« on: February 03, 2004, 03:58:09 PM »

This doesn't fall under the ham catagory, but I know that some of you would know.  I always heard that disc jockies and other such personalities on local AM/FM broadcast stations were required to hold at least a Third Class Radiotelephone License.  Now, according to the FCC site, these licenses have been discontinued.  Do people still require FCC licenses to be on the air?
Thanks.
73s,
Mark, KB9YTQ
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2004, 04:12:56 PM »

Not in a long, long time. Most DJs now sit in front of a microphone and run their mouths. In many stations, they don't even cue up and play the music.

Lon
KC2FDQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 09:20:58 PM »

I've noticed that some college stations have been "on the air" (as AM/FM radio stations) as well.  Who issues these types of callsigns?  I looked on the internet, and found that some of these stations may go "unlicensed".  Some are not in the FCC database.  Is this OK, as long as they stay under a certain power limit?

I am also planning on taking my MROP and GROL test in the near future....
NA6DF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2004, 03:49:09 PM »

unless they are a pirate, they would have a license. Same FCC division issues those as for commercial broadcast, Part 73. somewhat different rules for commercial vs non-commercial stations. If they are below 92.1, they are non-commercial, although there are non-comms above that as well. All commercial stations will be above 92.1.

Check  www.fccinfo.com , a great resource to look up broadcast license info...

na6df
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2004, 07:40:51 PM »

<< unless they are a pirate, they would have a license.  >>

The question was about  the licensing of announcers and DJ, not the stations themselves.

Lon
KC2FDQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2004, 10:53:32 PM »

OK, maybe I should clarify this a little further:

How about if the station was a college station, specifically operating Part 15?
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2004, 01:12:49 AM »

<< How about if the station was a college station, specifically operating Part 15? >>

By definition Part 15 transmitters are unlicensed and no license would be required by any DJ. Such licenses (third class phone) no longer exist.

Lon
KC2JKQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2004, 02:58:19 PM »

No license is required for a DJ or other Radio Personality to work at a FM or AM Broadcast station.

To the gentleman asking about college radio:

All college stations are required to be licensed, some college stations fall under the LPFM (Low Power FM) Rules or under other rules for college stations (I forgot the specific criteria).

Some college stations even operate without a proper antenna and use their aerial AC Mains line for a radiator with a choke at their property line. This is called Carrier Current Radio.

Check out: http://www.collegebroadcasters.org/cctech.shtml

73'
Ric Letson, NB2E
Formerly KC2JKQ

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: