Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost License  (Read 987 times)
KE7BZX

Ignore
« on: March 09, 2005, 01:56:10 PM »

I have lost my license from the FCC.  I am trying to use Echo link and they require me to fax this to them.  Where can I request a replacement

Thanks in advance
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 10:09:09 AM »

Adam -

http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/

Do a license search, and enter your callsign. Then click on the link to it when the search results are displayed.

Once you get to the page with your information, you can print out a "reference copy" using the link just above the top right of the table. This will probably be good enough for your Echolink fax.

If you really need an actual FCC-generated copy, you can submit an online application for a modification of your license, and then make an innocuous change. (Do this from the same starting page listed above, but click on "Online Filing." You'll need your ULS password for this.) For example, you could add your ZIP+4 numbers, or add the word "Street" (or whatever is appropriate) to your street address. Once the modification application is submitted, they will mail you a new license within a few days.

Steve
W3HF
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 02:46:35 PM »

They did not require a fax copy when I or my husband signed up.  We just had to wait about 24 hours for it to be verified.  The faxing thing is generally for non-US hams.
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 05:53:50 PM »

The procedures available for replacing a lost license can be found on the FCC website at:

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/amateur/licensing/replacement.html
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 03:57:38 PM »

Whether or not you need to FAX a copy for Echolink is secondary.  You should get a new copy of your license ASAP.  You are supposed to have the original or a copy either in your posession or on display on the premises whenever you operate.
    It's surprising how many Amateur Operators don't carry a copy in their wallet or purse along with their driver's license and insurance card.  (And credit cards.)
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2005, 10:49:58 AM »

Note to WA9SVD:

"You are supposed to have the original or a copy either in your posession or on display on the premises whenever you operate."

That is not in Part 97 any more. It used to be that the proof of being licensed was the physical piece of paper that the FCC sent you.

Now that license records are online, the definition of proof is being listed on a license grant in the ULS. (Check out 97.3(a)(1) and 97.5(a) for the specifics.) At this point, the paper "license" is just a courtesy copy, and grants no authority in itself. (In fact, that's one of the points of contention in the Jack Gerritsen case.)

That's also the reason that new and upgraded licensees are allowed to (in fact, supposed to) use their new callsigns and/or privileges as soon as they are listed on the ULS.

Of course, the paper can be used for other things--VEs need a copy when you upgrade, clubs often want a copy for their records before you operate a club station, state DMV may want a copy to obtain a callsign license plate, etc. But there is no longer a requirement to have the paper license with you whenever you operate.

Steve
W3HF
(who used to carry his WA2FKS license in his wallet in the 70s and 80s, but now just keeps it in his files)
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 08:36:05 PM »

W3HF:

All understood, but what if in a situation where Internet access (are there still such places on the planet???) is unavailable?  Such as at Field Day operations, where one wishes to participate, or visiting another station, perhaps if third-party operations come into question?  It still seems prudent to carry a copy of the license on one's person.  That's hardly an extreme hardship.  It also allows secondary verification of one's ID and operator class, otherwise, one could say "I'm W_XXX" and I can operate such and such.  If access to the FCC database is unavailable, such a claim can't be verified.
    I operate at a very well known club station, and while visitors are encouraged, they can only OPERATE the club station (again, at the discretion of the control operator on duty) if they can show a valid Amateur License.  It IS for our own protection; we don't have Internet access at the operating positions, and even if it were, trying to verify a licensee via name/address/driver's license would be cumbersome, and demeaning to many of the visitors.
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 08:47:41 PM »

W3HF:

Steve, sorry if I repeated some of what you said. FCC has a lotta nerve changing the rules!  Guess it's time to get another printed copy of Part ยง97, not just read it on-line.  Still, several good reasons to keep a copy of the "wallet size" license readily available.  (My last one still suggested to "laminate" to protect the laser printing...)
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005, 05:36:43 AM »

Larry -

Not a problem. I was just reacting to the implication that amateurs MUST have a copy of the paper license.

It really is a good idea. It can help in a lot of situations--we both listed a number of examples. And I do have a laminated copy to carry around, though it's not in my wallet. (It's in a briefcase I usually have with me when I operate portable.)

KC0ILV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005, 08:35:10 PM »

Follow the "laminate your license" suggestion,
I made the mistake of putting it in the clear part of my wallet, so now I can take the paper out and still see my license.

When I got my general, I immediatly scanned it into the computer and printed high res color copies

(The day after I scanned the license, someone spilled something on it, keep it safe, VERY safe, lest you have to pay the $10 or whatever it is to replace it)
WA2E

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 05:21:46 AM »

Although a "Control Operator" may let unlicensed persons operate a station also. One doesn't need to be licensed to operate at Field Day or any other station (
to the best of my knowledge) under supervision.

Mike
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 03:42:41 PM »

Mike,

That's true... to a point.  In regards to Field Day or such an endeavour, the control operator (at least legally) must be at the operating position, not just on the premises.  (No going off for dinner or "a cold one" if an unlicensed or under-licensed individual is at the Mike or Key.)
    And unlicensed or under-licensed (no prejudice or insult meant to anyone, but it's the rules for third-party traffic; that basically means No-Code Techs) can NOT talk third-party (which they would be doing) unless the country in question has a third party agreement with the FCC/U.S. Government.  If there's no 3rd Party agreement, an unlicensed individual or No-Code Tech could not talk to that "DX" station on HF, regardless of the presence or License Class of the control operator.  And a Tech Plus could only do it in the Novice sub-bands on HF where he/she already has privileges.  

And believe it or not, just recently the FCC and Great Britain FINALLY approved third-party contacts for all U.K. stations, not just special event stations in the U.K.  (Perhaps it was a language barrier.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: