Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Get rid of the code  (Read 3178 times)
KG6BXW

Ignore
« on: March 28, 2001, 01:00:31 PM »

CW is slowly dieing off we should just kill it off and set up a harder tech exame for people to take or make a new digital test or something
K9STH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2001, 08:43:32 PM »

Present International regulations call for a code test for operation below 30 MHz.  The FCC has done all that it can (legally) by dropping the code requirements to 5 w.p.m.
W5UX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2001, 07:18:06 PM »

It cannot be that hard to learn code when four year old kids do it. CW will still get through when all other modes fail.  I see where you guys use SSB for emergencies.  CW has a 16 db gain over SSB that may come in handy when you are out to sea and injured. It also takes up precious little space on bands that are becoming crowded as it is. It is cheaper too.  People in third world countries don't have the money to throw around like we do.
Bob
AA1UY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2001, 07:25:03 PM »

Without CW, ham radio will be little more than CB or IRC (have you listened to 2 meters recently ?).

This topic has been talked to death - give it a rest.
W5HTW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2001, 02:14:43 PM »

Just hang in there.  It's going away.  Quit complaining about it now, because there's nothing anyone can do until the international law is changed.  Once that is changed, rest assured code requirements will be history for all countries, including the USA.  Be patient.  The law has to wait for the conference to meet, and by 2003 there will be no more code requirements anywhere.  

Will the written test become more digital?  No, not likely.  Most likely the written test will become a regulations-only test, and may even be simplified to the point where applicants for a ham license need only certify they have a copy of the rules and regs and have read them.  With the fact almost all ham gear today is commercially made, hams no longer need to know about "radio" per se, that is, how a signal is generated, filtered, gets to the operating frequency, etc.  All they really need to know is the band limits, and how to avoid interfering with non-ham services, such as phones, TV, public safety radio, etc.  All we really need today is a statement like, "I have read the FCC rules and regulations, I have a copy on hand, and I will comply with them."   Presto!  Licensed ham.

The FCC has continued for several years its efforts to simplify, from its point of view, ham radio, in the interest of devoting its funds and time to whatever else it deemds important.  Which is primarily, these days, cell phones.   With the dropping of the code requirement, the way will be paved to combine all amateur radio licenses into a single "class" - "Standard Amateur Radio License."  

So be patient!  Morse is going away.

Ed, W5HTW

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2001, 09:34:54 PM »

And with CW it's just a bunch of old lids
who can afford to spend thousands of dollars on a rig and then use their high powered rigs on exclusive nets (nobody they don't know is allowed) talking about how their arthritis medicine is working today and wondering what ever happened to tubes.

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2001, 09:25:31 PM »

<<hams no longer need to know about "radio" per se>>

Now that's a scary thought.
WD0CT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2001, 01:52:42 PM »

I don't care if cw stays or goes. I do care that cw ops have HALF of some hf bands--80-40 meters etc. Open up the bands and let cw die a slow natural death.
AA1UY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2001, 09:21:45 PM »

>And with CW it's just a bunch of old lids
>who can afford to spend thousands of dollars on a rig >and then use their high powered rigs on exclusive >nets (nobody they don't know is allowed) talking >about how their arthritis medicine is working today >and wondering what ever happened to tubes.

You'd be surprised how many younger hams are into CW especially with the surge of interest in QRP. There are many truly excellent CW rigs available for under $200 (some kits < $100) i.e. cheaper than 2 meter Handy Talkies. "Exclusive Nets" seem to be the province of the phone areas of the bands (HF and VHF). I've rarely even heard any nets on CW as I'm too busy QSOing on a one to one basis. I can only recall once in the 3+ years I've been licensed, listening to someone talking on CW about their health complaints. Similarly, I've very rarely encountered rudeness on the CW bands (I can't say the same about phone (HF and VHF)). With respect, you clearly don't know what you're talking about and maybe if you actually tried learning CW, you'd find out that it's a lot more fun talking to someone on the other side of the planet than on the other side of town.
WB4QNG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2001, 10:37:32 PM »

I hope Ed is wrong.  I don't really care if they keep the code or not even though I don't think 5WPM is that hard to learn.  I sure hope they don't do away with the test.  I read a post on eHam today that kind of upset me. A new ham was upset because his name and address was in a callbook.  This is kind of scarey to me.  I think code or no code we need test and they should include things like this.  I don't guess there are many Elmers out there.    
KD5MAW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2001, 03:32:52 PM »

"A new ham was upset because his name and address was in a callbook."

Guess that's a spooky thought if you're used to listening to 11 meters. {8^)
N0RKX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2001, 06:05:48 PM »

I do get a chuckle out of the "kill CW" folks. You know, the ones with NO HF experience whatsoever. They want to get on HF so bad they can taste it, but they don't want to put in 20 minutes a night for a month to learn CW at 5 wpm. They sit around waiting for the ITU conference to drop it, compaining all the time, when if they had the least bit of gumption they could have learned the code and upgraded by then.

If the morse code requirement keeps little internet script kiddies like that off HF and on the repeaters it's serving it's purpose well.

KD5MAW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2001, 08:20:13 PM »

That makes at least two of us who have made the same observation N0RKX. The ones I hear whining the loudest seem to have this attitude that they have a RIGHT to the HF bands and everything else. Any system that stands in the way of that "right" is obviously unfair. I got my start in Amateur Radio as an OF (over 50; old fart; take your pick), so missed out on learning this new attitude. Those politically incorrect, irrelevant old fools that I grew up with gave me this oddball idea that if you really want something, you do whatever it takes to get it. How could they have been so unenlightened? I've given serious thought to buying a gift certificate for a CB and giving it to the next Tech I hear crying in his/her beer about Morse code.
K2AXX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2001, 04:00:30 PM »

So you're saying I can now go buy me an FT-1000mp coz' I know CW?!? Yee Haw! Thanks for setting me free!

Just don't call me on the air. I don't know you (anonymous sorta implies NOONE knows who you are)- and I don't understand idiot, just like you don't understand cw.

Sheesh.

>And with CW it's just a bunch of old lids
>who can afford to spend thousands of dollars on a rig >and then use their high powered rigs on exclusive >nets (nobody they don't know is allowed) talking >about how their arthritis medicine is working today >and wondering what ever happened to tubes.
K0KP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2001, 12:05:14 AM »

Isn't it cool that in ham radio we've got our own slang? Take "Ham" or "Lid" for instance.  Well, I'd like to propose a new handle; "CAP" the Code-A-Phobic ham, or Code-A-Phobe if you prefer.  Webster defines phobia as an "inexplicable and illogical fear of a particular object, class of objects, or situation....having an intolerance or aversion for."  Yep, CAP seems to fit the bill for the ever seeming to whine, "give me my license and privileges even if I'm not willing to earn them" so-called ham.  A CAP has such an aversion that he doesn't even seem to tolerate CW, let alone take the time to learn 5 words per minute.  It's a shame too, CW is the best, most efficient, and downright fun mode going in ham radio!  CW Dead?  N E V E R !  They won't get my key until they pry my cold, dead fingers from it!  Do you know a "CAP"?  One can tell by the whine....
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: