Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just passed Extra -- surprised myself!  (Read 2065 times)
N0YG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2007, 10:11:01 AM »

Congradulation on the quick licensing to EXTRA. I thought I did mine fast, back in the day when It took me 6 wks to go from having an interest to a extra. Again Congradulations !!!!!!
73 n0yg
N0YG

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2007, 10:15:41 AM »

Just realized I mis-spelled congratulations. I must of skipped school the day that was covered, lol.
TOYBOX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2007, 05:23:57 PM »

WR8D - I'm a heavy equiptment operator,

A what?

WR8D - and have not cracked a book in over fifteen years.

Really?

Take no offense, just kidding.
AE5BN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2007, 12:18:59 PM »

Congrats!
KI4ZCU

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2007, 01:30:11 PM »

Thats just great!

Congratulations...
KB6QXM

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2007, 04:02:46 PM »

I am glad that the extra was passed. Not trying to rain on the parade, but the challenge is not what is was 25 years ago or longer. Try taking the Extra exam of 25+ years ago and the solid 20 WPM code test to boot.

Now that was stressful and difficult. I am so disappointed on what the FCC has done to our license requirements. I will stay an Advanced class ham for life, just to make a statement! I did it the "old fashioned way".

But congrats to you anyways!
AD5WY

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2007, 12:38:27 AM »

Congratulations on achieving Extra! It is a significant accomplishment, and that license is to be treasured, regardless of ANY other considerations.

The thread has split into a 'have the licenses been dumbed down?' discussion, I will add my own two cents.

My long-winded history: I was first licensed as a Novice via a German-American ham club in Berlin, Germany in October 1985 (callsign KA1NLE). That particular club could ONLY administer the NOVICE test at the time (otherwise I probably would have tried for a higher license). I had already ordered and received ALL of the license manuals, Novice through Extra, and studied them. My morse code was exceptional, I was in Signals Intell, Radio Direction Finding and Morse Intercept, the army taught me code, my (receiving) speed was easily 25-30 GPM plus. Once or twice a year, they TRIED to get additional people from West Germany to come over to test for higher licenses, but there had to be a demand for it. That never happened while I was stationed there.

I also invoked the reciprocal operating agreement then, and was licensed by the German Bundespost as DA2YO (due to a 'quirk', functionally equivalent to a Tech Plus license).

Later, after I transferred to Fort Devens Massachusetts, I upgraded to General at ARRL / Newington (call N1EZW) in July 1987. In 1996, I retired from the army; from the summer of 1996 until my General expired in 1997 I participated in a couple of local VHF nets and Skywarn exercises, but thats about it. From 1997 until 2006, I was pretty much inactive, busy retiring, then health problems from a heart attack in 1998. Then "suddenly" I was interested again. I contacted a local club and got the date for the next test, ordered manuals and studied for 3 weeks. It was unclear whether my old General had been expired for too long, the local VEs just suggested to make it easier just to test all over again - sounded like a good idea to me. "Walked in" and passed *all four* elements in one sitting and walked away with my Extra in May 2006. 5 WPM code was a piece of cake, could have done it in my sleep... got 100% on the Tech and General written tests, and on the Extra as I recall I passed with a margin of 3 errors; I could have missed 3 more and still passed. 'Hardest Topic' for me was 'applied phase angles'; the rest of my errors were basically 'dumb mistakes'.

So I think I have some perspective. I DON'T THINK that the written tests have really been dumbed down (in the long run); I have a fairly clear memory of studying up through Extra in 1985, and that includes Advanced. I MIGHT make the Extra written exam a LITTLE longer and more comprehensive, if I had the power to do so.

If anything (and I admit I am biased), I am disappointed at the elimination of the morse code requirement; and before that the 'dumbing down' of the morse code test for ALL classes to only 5 WPM. But heck, I'm going with the flow. In the long run, it benefits us ALL if more hams are licensed... look at the statistics over the years. If nothing else, we need spectrum defense and a legislative presence.

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: