The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Control markings for HQ-140  (Read 1115 times)
N2UGB

Ignore
« on: February 12, 2008, 09:39:49 AM »

I recently acquired an HQ-140 that was halfway through restoration. Electronics aside, can anyone tell me where I could pick up some original or reproduction knobs for the front panel? Especially the two large tuning ones.

Also panel decals that could be placed near the front controls. Any idea where they could be found?

73 and thanks
K3HVG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 02:20:07 PM »

Electronic dry-transfer decals are available from several suppliers.  They're nice to use on homebrew gear but are quite obvious when used on existing equipment.  I know of no one who currently re-paints/re-letters this receiver.  Hammarlund knobs are a bit unique but can be found from time to time.  It may be necessary to find a junker with some good knobs, especially the large ones.  For whatever reason, years back it was popular to replace the large fluted knobs with a military-type spinner knob.  I've accumulated a number of HQ-receivers that needed the original knobs.  Again, junkers or the surrendipitous find at a hamfest was the way out.
N2UGB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 01:56:33 AM »

Thank you for the response. I will be checking this season's hamfests, also e-bay. I may, temporarily, use some press-on lettering...the sort found at art supply stores.

The essential thing is getting the receiver to function correctly. The rest is all cosmetic.

K3HVG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 11:46:29 AM »

Forgot to mention... DATAK is the company that makes the electronic lettering.  Along with the routine electronic marking sets, they make a special set of sheets for ham radio. They come in black and white and with a couple of sizes.  Do a search on the above and you'll find all the distributors of same and the variety of markings available.  It will beat the heck out of trying to put together letters from those hobby/craft store sheets. Regards and good fortune with your project.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: