Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: General Class Manual Versions  (Read 752 times)
KD8VMZ

Ignore
« on: September 09, 2007, 09:43:20 AM »

I am currently studying for my element 3 exam (trying to get tech and general at the same time) from the previous version of the ARRL General Class Manual (Fifth edition, new one is sixth edition). I've been told to look at the newer question pool online, but I'm urious how much has changed between editions. Or, more pointedly, will I be alright studying from this manual and practicing on the new question pool? Or should I go buy the newer edition?
K2YO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 05:55:34 PM »

I recommend you study the new question pool. I studied the new questions back this spring, but ended up testing with the old test, before the change over deadline. I was tracking to score in the 90% range with the new questions, and ended up scoring around %80 because of the old questions. I haven't compared the directly to each other, but there are a number of questions that are different and some rule/band changes that probably are not in the old information you have.

Do you have a target date yet for testing?

Bernie
KD8VMZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 04:00:39 AM »

I hope to test before the end of this month. I am going to finish the older manual, study the new question pool, and try to take the practice tests over on QRZ.com and see how I do. If it isn't too gory I think I'll run with it. I'm currently using the updated band rules to study anyway, so that shouldn't be an issue. The only thing that might bite me are any new rules, but hopefully looking at the new question pool beforehand will weed any of those problems out. Thanks for the input.
CHRISGM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 08:43:50 AM »

I would use the new manual. The General test now has more technical/block diagram/schematic type of questions.  For the $20 cost of the book you will do much better on the test(s)
K2YO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 06:51:53 AM »

Randall,

Please report back when you have passed, so we can celebrate with you!

Bernie
KI4CRA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 01:50:50 PM »

I agree with all the post!  Please, do yourself a favor, spend the $20, get the Gordon West manual.  Gordo, puts the material in a format that is easy to read and to comprehend.  He also explains the answers, very good reading, I have used Gordon West's books for every one of my license classes. Tech: 2/94 General: 10/03 and Amateur Extra 01/04.  I have met Gordon several times, and he is a pleasant fellow to talk with.  Best of Luck, and as one poster stated let us know when you have taken and passed your exam.

73 de Mark
AI4HO
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 06:12:07 AM »

The differences in the test questions are with wording and can throw you off--if you don't know the material itself.  If you're just going to try to memorize the questions and answers, the newer manual is the one you want.  

If you're looking to learn the concepts and the formula, the old maunal can do that for you, but definitely get a new manual to study or look at the new question pool online before you go for the test.  Either way, the rewording can throw you off--and some of the reworded answers can seem right when they're not.
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 07:34:04 AM »

I'm with CJS.  IF you actually know the material (rather than just memorizing answers) it won't matter which "study guide" you use.  Even if a technical question is changed with (e.g.) a value of 800 Ohms instead of 1200 Ohms, you should be able to figure it out, if you understand the concepts.

The place to study NEW material (and take CURRENT on-line tests) is in the area of the rulse and regulations, which have dramatically changed in the last year (give or take a few days.)  There were changes that went into effect last December, and again, BIG changes that went into effect this past February.
    those changes won't be covered by older study guides.

Good luck.
KC2QPR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 08:36:04 AM »

So my thought is to stick with the old manual (fifth ed) and just study from the new question pool.

Make sense?

Or has there really been a new incorporation of material that should be backed up with demostration lessons?

Thanks,
Marc
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: