Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amateur Extra-Elite License class needed.  (Read 9611 times)
N2NXZ

Ignore
« on: January 22, 2008, 05:14:32 PM »

Well,
I have been doing alot of reading of amateur radio posts and listening to alot of transmissions in the general coverage HF band and have come up with a solution to the frustrations that come with those who believe that the licenses are being dumbed down year after year.So I think there should be another class of amateur radio license.After all,they came up with the no-code and tech-plus,so why not just have a new license for smarter,better and knowledgable folks?Here are a few question samples that would fit this class of amateurs;

Q-1>  If you are an amateur extra-elite class operator and a regular amateur operator jumps into your group,do you?

A)Welcome him into your group in a friendly matter?

B)Ask him how much power he is running and then tell him he will not go far like that?

C)Begin bragging about how much you have and know?

D)Tell him immediately he is off frequency by a micro hertz and have all your friends agree?

E)All of the above except (A)?

Q-2>  What types of antennas should an amateur extra-elite amateur operators use on 10 meters?

A)One made of gold?

B)One made of silver?

C)One made of titanium?

D)One made of plain aluminum?

E)He would not be on that band because it is dead and you can only use 200 watts,besides,those loser no-coders are there?

Q-3>  How many towers minimum should an amateur extra-elite operator own?

A)7
B)6
C)5
D)4
e)All of the above?

Q-4>   What types of radios are required by amateur extra-elite operators.

A)$5,000.00 or more?

B)$6,000.00 or more?

C)6,500.00 with extra buttons?

D)$200.00 because thats all you can afford?

Obvious answer.There is no way to use a radio without a DSP and a scope.

Q-5> What type of CW keyer should an amateur extra-elite use?

A)Pure gold?
B)pure silver?
C)A mix of gold,silver and platinum with a rare wood base?
D)Whatever works as long as it works?

Another obvious answer.

Q-6>  What is the very first step before talking
(phone) as an amateur extra-elite operator?

A)Buy a VERBAL ADVANTAGE book?
B)Have your radio specs memorized?
C)Making sure your most expensive amplifier is ready and warmed?(specs memorized)
D)Be yourself with who you are and what you have?

Obviously not (D)

Feel free whomever to add to this pool,as it would be very helpful to some of the better ham radio ops out there.I also took some thought into a special band plan that could benefit others in the radio hobby.26.000-29.000 with a 3KW max.They can teach the unfortunates down there how to become proper behaved radio operators.I believe there are plenty out there who know what I mean Smiley)))))
KB6QXM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 01:36:25 PM »

You sound bitter or guilty, one of the two. Why even post such a ridiculous questionaire?

Is it even worth our time to listen to such nonsense?

I have been off the air for almost 20 years, when we earned our licenses. There were no such things as no-code anything. Yes there were the whiners and they usually stayed out of the hobby as they did not want to do the work to get their license.

Now that you have to send in two box tops and a SASE to the FCC to get an Extra Class, what is the value in that. Something for nothing. Extra class meant something once. You take away the challenge, then you devalue the license. Do you think that the work is to hard for an engineering degree?

Lighten up and let the people who had the disipline to do the work have our due. It is only fair. We can not change the society that we live in. The "we deserve everything for nothing" generation. We cannot easily change the politicians minds that make policy, but it is painful to read commentary from people like you that mock the people that rose to the license requirements of the day. So lighten up, please!

WB6RXG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 02:23:22 PM »

KB6QXM said,

"I have been off the air for almost 20 years, when we earned our licenses. There were no such things as no-code anything. Yes there were the whiners and they usually stayed out of the hobby as they did not want to do the work to get their license.

Now that you have to send in two box tops and a SASE to the FCC to get an Extra Class, what is the value in that. Something for nothing. Extra class meant something once. You take away the challenge, then you devalue the license. Do you think that the work is to hard for an engineering degree?"

Gee, there's one now! Wink

I don't think the original poster is bitter or guilty, just observant. I have been licensed since 1976. When I ugpgraded to extra in 2004 I received less than a warm welcome when I called my first cq in the 75 meter extra class segment. How dare I call cq on their frequency? It was 30 minutes to their net time! This was after asking if the frequency was in use twice and waiting at least a minute between asking each time and calling cq. I was so discouraged I almost put the rig back in the box and sold it on ebay. Then I got mad and started calling cq 60 minutes before their net time on their frequency every night for several days.  Why not? They weren't using it at the time and I would be done by the time their net started anyway.  How many new hams or new upgrades have the "extra-elites" with a poor attitude chased off never to return?

Stuart
WB6RXG
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 03:42:13 PM »

WHY doesn't everybody LIKE ME?Huh sour radio grapes.
I have often thought that one less than desirable aspect of the hobby is that geeknoids you would avoid in person won't leave you alone on the air.  How many times have I had a good roundtable broken up because somebody  resented the fact that we all knew each other and were enjoying ourselves while taking up only one frequency.  Listen newbees, if time after time groups seem to give you the brush
off look in the mirror.  Too many of you break into roundtables with a chip on YOUR OWN shoulders, make annoying comments to see how much our tolerance can be pushed and then complain that "they"  don't talk to whatevers. Nothing in the rules says we HAVE to talk to you beyond finding out if you have  emergency traffic.  Heck, we will talk to anyone  with a normal personality, take your attention need disorder elsewhere.  Funny you never seem to talk to each other.  I wouldn't dream of breaking up that. Example, DON't break into a QSO where it is clear the folks have know each other for years and are good friends and start complaining about our audio and telling us we better put up G Fiver RVEEEEEEEES like yours, OK.  
N2NXZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 05:24:38 PM »

Gee, there's one now! Wink

Thank you WB6RXG.You are on the same planet as me.I will make a bowl of popcorn.
N2NXZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 05:33:46 PM »

Before this post goes further,the class license is named EXTRA-ELITE which is higher than EXTRA!Not putting down ALL Extra class operators as many are my good friends.GET IT?
W4DRR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 06:35:55 AM »

"E)He would not be on that band because it is dead and you can only use 200 watts,besides,those loser no-coders are there?"

Better re-check the rules.  Extra Class is not limited to 200 watts on 10M.

Bob

Bob
N2NXZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 06:55:32 AM »

I realized that after I posted that one.tnx.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 10:56:32 AM »

I am amazed at the number of newbies, many with virtually no actual operating experience (by their own admission!), who seem to think they are qualified to pass judgement on any portion of amateur radio.

I don't know who's worse - them or the no name trolls.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
N2NXZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 04:40:25 PM »

Some of these posts lead me to believe people can not read well,or even get the concept here.Explain better than that.Rise to the occasion.Remember,the AMATEUR EXTRA-ELITE class license is imaginary.IT DOES NOT EXIST !How does this make anyone angry as it is not directed to anyone?I am actually trying to suggest to some out there, that there should be a license that seperates the more intelligent operators from the ones that really did not earn a REAL license.I too took my Novice with 5 wpm code exam and then took my Tech soon after... The "RIGHT" way.This way they will have a wide band of frequencies to use all to themselves without ever being interupted by anyone but their own.Maybe even specially assigned personal frequencies?I am with you 100%.Why attack me?
WB6RXG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 02:12:09 PM »

W3LK said:

"I am amazed at the number of newbies, many with virtually no actual operating experience (by their own admission!), who seem to think they are qualified to pass judgement on any portion of amateur radio."

I'm not exactly a newbie. Licensed as a novice in 1976. Upgraded to technician in 1977 by testing at the FCC office in San Francisco. I just missed the 13wpm so I took the general test and passed 100%. Became a Tech Plus when the rules changed.

I've been active on VHF, UHF Novice band CW and 10 meter SSB off and on for years. In general my experience on the other HF bands has been positive. I just related my first experience on 75 meters as an extra, and I did everything a good operator should before calling CQ, listen, ask if the frequency is in use, wait, and then call CQ. I got a pretty good reaming. I didn't do anything wrong, the net wasn't going to start for 30 minutes and I hadn't even had an answer to my cq yet. I didn't deserve the response I got from some grunpy oldm men (I'm 52 by the way). I'm just saying that somebody who is a newbie or is simply listening might get so discouraged they would either quit or never even try to get a license. All they has to do was let me know that they had a net starting in 30 minutes and to please be done by then and maybe even invite me to join in. Simple as that. Nice, gentle and welcoming.

If we want new blood in our ham community we need to make it a friendlier place. I do my part, when I hear a new ham on the air I welcome him. If he makes a mistake, like using CB lingo, I don't correct him. As he listens and uses the air he will learn by example how things are done. I have heard some non-hams refer to hams as a bunch of elitist snobs. I wonder how they got that idea. Yes, I earned my license and so did the new guy. Did we take the same tests? No, but we both took a test which required some studying of the rules, procedures and electronics. I have great respect for someone who took the extra test 40-50 years ago. Are they better than me? Are they more knowledgable? I've tought some old extras a thing or two and they me. We need to be just a little more tolerant of the newbies. I guess some of us forget we were newbies once too. I'm sure we all have asked what someone else thought was a stupid question. As my college electronics professor once said "There is no such thing as a stupid question. The only stupid question is the unasked one".

Sorry, I got off an a huge rant. I have been on this board for close to five years and I get fed up with the attitude of some of the people on here and need to vent.

WB6RXG
N2NXZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 09:44:09 AM »

You make perfect sense.The object of my EXTRA-ELITE was for me and others to actually see that there IS a certain type of atitude in this hobby.As I said before,I had my license for about 17 years.Took the exams 1 by one with code.People ASSUME you are a newbie.I have been trying to get some younger folks interested and the attitudes often than not kind of scared them off.Cb radio is what started me into radio.Old timers dont see it like that because they didnt have an opportunity to own SSB/AM/FM mode rigs with 40 channels to play on.Maybe a tube rig with 1-6 channels AM if they were lucky.People need to understand times are changing.We all will not have the same reasons WHY we became hams.Youngsters today can chat all over the world on the internet.They will be the hardest to convince into getting a ham ticket.There is no room for the ,"THE BETTER THAN THOU" attitude of pure arrogance.I will bet you this post will see more of this attitude.It seems certain folks do not read.Too high on the horse for some of us? Almost a phenomina.My little personal study.
N2NXZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 11:12:15 AM »

One more thing that has been totally forgot by many.The NO-CODE was also intended to SAVE the bands from being used for something else.I do recall VHF and UHF freqs were about to used for something other than amateur radio ops.The new license holders should be thanked and praised for this.
KE4MOB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 01:44:30 PM »

Sometimes I wish I could trade my 20 WPM Extra for a 13 WPM Advanced...at least the Advanced wasn't gang raped by the likes of NCI, W5YI, and the ARRL.  Everybody and their mother's got an Extra now.

Can I trade my Extra in??

Truthfully, I really regret putting forth the effort to go from no-license to 20 WPM Extra in four months.  It was a waste of time.  
W2DAB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 10:04:16 AM »

I am one of the newer Hams but I am not a newbie to many areas of technology so I understand the time investment many people in the hobby made to learn CW.

What I don't understand is the attitude that if the rules change and another class of Hams come up not making those sacrifices that you can't be happy in your own hobby.

You know CW, you can communicate with a whole group of people than those the newer licensees can't.  Get on your bug or key and ENJOY. If it was a waste of time, maybe it is not a hobby that you are enjoying... just one where you wanted to be elite.

I don't disagree on the new class, it might be a hollow designation if there were not addition band privileges though.  I would like to see a license for CW and perhaps a channelized band for only "CW Class" operators. I truly admire those who can use CW and will be devoting my time to following their example.

73 and best wishes*
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: