Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amateur Extra-Elite License class needed.  (Read 9846 times)
KB6QXM

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2008, 04:13:44 PM »

Keith,

It seems that your arguements are just copy and paste from one license discussion to another.
KB1SF

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2008, 02:22:50 PM »

Robert (KB6QXM) wrote:  "It seems that your arguements (sic) are just copy and paste from one license discussion to another."
-------------------------
And where is it written that every thought one posts to these forums must be always be "original"?

As I've said before, I find it absolutely hilarious that the only thing you can now find to refute any of my statements is the fact that I may have made some of them before.

And if what I write upsets you as much as you say it does, Robert, then why do still persist in both reading and commenting on my thoughts...complete with your OWN penchant for repetitive misspelling?

Keith
KB1SF / VA3KSF
N2NXZ

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2008, 04:05:05 PM »

Well,
There you have it.You see?WE NEED A NEW CLASS LICENSE FOR ELITE CLASS OPERATORS !!!These folks as we have all read here are actually better than most who took an exam at a later date.So as my original post mentioned,lets finish the rest of the questions where I left off.These folks NEED to be seperated from the rest.So,lets get to work here and put these guys BACK ON THE TOP.TOP DOGS.BIG GUNS.HEAD CHEESE.GODS?Lets see some good questions for this NEW ELITE CLASS LICENSE.I still say the new ELITE CLASS FREQUENCIES should be 26.965 - 27.405 mhz.They can revolutionize radio.Imagine the rewarding feeling they could get teaching the less intelligent on CB.They can actually mold amateurs into what THEY want before they get a license.Smiley)
N2NXZ

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2008, 05:42:37 PM »

Awwww,there seems that no one has a sense of humor here.Smiley)
               Jim,N2NXZ
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2010, 09:44:30 AM »

Even though this is an old topic, I'm going to put in my 2 cents.  This idea is troubling--for one word in the title line--ELITE.  Kinda gives the wrong impression, don't you think?
K6LHA

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2010, 12:59:16 PM »

Even though this is an old topic, I'm going to put in my 2 cents.  This idea is troubling--for one word in the title line--ELITE.  Kinda gives the wrong impression, don't you think?
No, quite the contrary.  The ONLY amateur radio license class I've ever gotten in this life has been Amateur Extra.   Grin   Grin    Grin    Grin

73, Len K6LHA
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2010, 03:41:52 PM »

The ham who is truly "elite" - meaning far above the average - doesn't need a special license class to tell others.

73 de Jim, N2EY
K6LHA

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2010, 12:34:06 PM »

The ham who is truly "elite" - meaning far above the average - doesn't need a special license class to tell others.

Okay, then what would you suggest?  Remove all class distinction from USA amateur radio license regulations?

I think that the classless hobby society is a fine concept.

After all, there are plenty of venues of amateur radio commentary on the Internet where these truly elite could bombard others with enough stories to prove eliteness internationally!    Grin      Grin       Grin

73, Len K6LHA   
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2010, 06:02:03 AM »

Personally I think CW operators should have special recognition through a separate "Master CW operator" license or something to that effect.

Since the FCC did away with code requirements, but retained the 25kHz Extra-only segments on the CW ends of the HF bands -- those segments should be opened up to all Hams of General class or above who passed an FCC administered 13wpm test.  Post-code-requirement Amateur Extras wishing access to those 25 kHz CW segments should have to prove 13wpm receive and send proficiency to a Ham who has already met that requirement.

It won't happen though as long as the FCC keeps basing their decisions on reducing the cost & difficulty of administration, rather than on what makes sense.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 06:04:56 AM by Robert Johnston » Logged
NO6L

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2010, 02:05:14 PM »

@ N2NXZ,

I've got some questions for *you* now.

Have you ever tried any modes beyond phone?

Have you built any of your own equipment beyond a wire antenna? If you did, you'd feel the same way about your accomplishments as those you seem to hate.

Do you know how to use your VFO to get away from those that irritate you or just ignore their behavior instead of running to a forum to whine about it?

Is this not the "pot calling the kettle black"? You claim that there are "Extra Elites" that have somehow slighted you, but you pull the moral superiority card, here.

Why are you trying to start a flame-fest? Are you that bored?

Did you even listen to HF for a couple of weeks before transmitting? If you did, you'd have been forewarned about what you'd be getting into.

Do you know radio amateurs have been trading station info for a century, and are rightly proud of accomplishments?

Do you have a problem with what the Haves have because you think they got what they have on the backs of the Have Nots? I hope not. That's the attitude that got us the political situation we now... have.

Have you even tried to earn an Extra? I ask this because those that did upgrade always feel a sense of accomplishment.

Did you expect to change society with the original post? Good luck with that. You change society with your own behavior, one contact at a time. Not by bitching about it.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2010, 02:51:32 PM »

Personally I think CW operators should have special recognition through a separate "Master CW operator" license or something to that effect.

Since the FCC did away with code requirements, but retained the 25kHz Extra-only segments on the CW ends of the HF bands -- those segments should be opened up to all Hams of General class or above who passed an FCC administered 13wpm test.  Post-code-requirement Amateur Extras wishing access to those 25 kHz CW segments should have to prove 13wpm receive and send proficiency to a Ham who has already met that requirement.

It won't happen though as long as the FCC keeps basing their decisions on reducing the cost & difficulty of administration, rather than on what makes sense.

I see a couple of problems with that idea.

First off, there'd be the problem of proving who had passed the proposed tests and who hadn't.

Second, a proposal to change the rules that way would probably meet with strong opposition in the comments. (The first step in any rules-change proposal is to get strong support in the amateur radio community - which is a step too many proposers forget about.)

Third, what would such a rules change accomplish?

73 de Jim, N2EY

And why 13 wpm? Why not 20 wpm?
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2010, 05:11:59 AM »

I got the required 'box tops'!  Now, where do I send them for that 'elite' class extra?  I assume that there's a really fancy certificate, right?  65K colors and all that?  Parchment would be nice too.
Paul
N8UW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2010, 06:08:45 AM »

There are elite frequencies. CW on the low end of 40, but only for those who have the skill. QRP'ers have certain hangouts, you need to have some other skills and equipment for that. PSK31 freqs can be found, but you can only participate if you have the skill and knowledge to set up the equipment and run it. AM on 75, if you have the knowledge and ability to set up a decent antenna and transmitter. 2m repeater frequencies for those who have learned protocol. I could go on. If your code is unreadable, your PSK31 signal is sloppy, your audio is crappy, you don't follow convention, etc. you will have difficulty, that's the way it is.

Yes, it doesn't take much to get a General class license and talk on SSB, and it doesn't take much to post on an internet forum. I did Morse in the Army, and electronics in college, so the hardest part of licensing testing for me was the first test, learning all the frequencies and rules. I bought a callsign that works well on my mode. Big deal, I look elsewhere for a learning experience or a challenge.

W1AW has qualification runs, I got my 20WPM certificate. Maybe I'll chase WAS or DXCC, or see how I can do in a couple contests. I've been QRT for a few years, doing other good things, but I've almost got my station back together, better than ever with new antennas. I've even got the RockMite and Elecraft K1 I built on the air. Next challenges are to tweak my R390 and fix the bandswitch on the TS-830. I'm having an elite amount of fun setting all this up. Tweaked the 'scope looking at the R390 IF so it is dark until I roll up to a CW signal, then it comes alive. Just 'cause it looks cool.

The stuff in the last paragraph is no big deal to lots of you, and beyond the capabilities of some of you. So what? I don't need Government validation, or feel a need to be better than some other Ham, or feel small because others do more. It is a hobby, I'm enjoying it.

--Chuck
K6LHA

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2010, 01:20:14 PM »

There are elite frequencies. CW on the low end of 40, but only for those who have the skill.             ...
The stuff in the last paragraph is no big deal to lots of you, and beyond the capabilities of some of you. So what? I don't need Government validation, or feel a need to be better than some other Ham, or feel small because others do more. It is a hobby, I'm enjoying it.

Interesting comments.

Having taken my very first amateur radio test in 2007, I didn't realize that OOK CW radiotelegraphy was a requirement of the elite.  I never saw that mention in Part 97, Title 47 C.F.R.  Perhaps it is in the fine print somewhere?   Cheesy

USA amateur radio has been in a definite class-conscious condition for at least a half century.  Okay, so what else is new?   Grin

Lots of olde-tymers keep telling me that nowhere in Part 97 is the word hobby written.  Actually it is, but in more flowery political speak.  Neither is the word ham found in Part 97.  The word ham evolved from its original use as a pejorative used by professionals against amateurs.  What has also evolved is the personal opinion of professional amateurs that they are supposedly better than the real long-time professionals.   Grin

Yes, I'll grant that few long-time professionals in radio can rag-chew with OOK CW radiotelegraphy nowadays, but that particular skill/wonderfulness is not a formal regulation nowadays!  For that matter it is only required on open water in some USA areas and only at the ship's master's orders.   Grin

Perhaps we need another class title: Super Special Elite Extra class?  That would be the amateur hobbyist capable of 300 WPM OOK CW (by ear and by hand only) while at the same time designing systems and circuitry for 5th Generation mobile communications devices...during their lunch hour?    Cheesy    Cheesy

We have to aim higher in fantasies.  The old fantasies aren't up to date.

73, Len K6LHA
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2010, 05:08:12 PM »

One can escape the maladjusted  like N2NXZ on CW.  Carry that attitude around with you, tiger, and see how many friends you make. 
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: