The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For How long Was the Extra Exam 40 Questions?  (Read 2313 times)
K2ACB

Ignore
« on: July 16, 2008, 07:33:38 AM »

In my previous question on this forum I wrote that at one time the Amateur Extra class exam was 100 questions . you had to get 75 out of the 100 questions correct and you also had to draw answers to 10 schematic questions. That ended in 1967 0r 1968 when the FCc instituted incentive licensing. The
Extra class license was multiple choice and you had to answer correctly 37 out of 50 questions to pass.      

I took my Extra class exam at the New York FCC offices in 1980. At that time the Extra class license was only 40 questions. I think you had to only answer 32 correctly to pass. I don't think the FCC kept the Extra class exam at 40 questions for too long.                                    
                                                       I would like to know for how long was the Extra class exam only 40 questions.Did the FCC make the test again 50 questions because too many people were passing the test?                                                                                                         If anyone has any input on this question I would like to know the answer.                                                73-Alan-K2ACB
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 07:56:36 AM »

I can't tell you exactly when the 40-question test started, but a 40-question test was in use up through 14 April 2000. The change had nothing to do with the test being too easy.

The license restructuring that took effect on 15 April 2000 eliminated testing for an upgrade to Advanced, and the Extra test was expanded to cover the material that had previously been addressed by both license classes.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 03:29:35 PM »

What happened was this:

The Extra as we know it was created in 1951 as a replacement for the Advanced. The 1951 Extra written was about 100 questions. The old Advanced was closed to new issues at the end of 1952 and no new ones issued for 15 years.

In 1967 the FCC began issuing new Advanceds again. The Extra exam was essentially split in half to make the 1967 Advanced written exam and the 1967 Extra exam. IIRC the split was such that the Advanced written was 50 questions and the Extra written was 40 questions.

It stayed that way until the Advanced was again closed to new issues in April 2000. The question pools for Advanced and Extra were combined then, and the Extra test increased to 50 questions.

IMHO, some folks make a big deal about the reduction/elimination of the Morse Code testing in 2000 and 2007, but forget about the written test reduction of 2000.

Before April 2000, getting an Extra required passing 5 written exams totalling 190 questions. After the change, it requires passing 3 written exams totalling 120 questions.

Before April 2000, getting a General required passing 3 written exams totalling 100 questions. After the change, it requires passing 2 written exams totalling 70 questions.

Before April 2000, getting a Technician required passing 2 written exams totalling 65 questions. After the change, it requires passing 1 written exam totalling 35 questions.

73 de Jim, N2EY
N3DF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 04:16:17 PM »

Jim,

When I got my licenses in the 1960s, the General only required one written exam and, prior to 1967, the Amateur Extra only required two.

Neil N3DF

Neil N3DF
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 10:59:27 AM »

In the 70's when I got my license it took 2 tests to Advanced and 2 or 3 to Extra. Novice and Technician were not required. By tests I mean written tests not sending and receiving.

Futher in the 70's it was possible to go from certain types of Technician license directly to Advanced or Extra without stopping at General.

This was the case if a Morse challenged person took the Technician test (then the same as the general) in front of FCC Examiners after having failed the 13 WPM code test. Later, on passing 13 WPM, you could go on to take the Advanced, or if you passed 20 WPM you could go directly to the Advanced and Extra written exams.

Never could break 20 no matter how much I practiced, so now I am a 13 WPM Extra with all writtens except for the Extra done in front of FCC Examiners.

KF7CG
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 02:10:59 PM »

N3DF is right - you didn't HAVE to start out as a Novice; you could take the General with no previous ham experience/license.  Not sure if you could do that with the Advanced, but I know you had to have been licensed for at least two years at the Technician level or above before you could take the Extra exam.

Pat K7KBN

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
K6REA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 01:23:36 AM »

don't remember how long.
i passed my extra last year, took me about 20 minutes and i got 100%.
it was a pretty simple test.

kevin rea
k6rea
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: