Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reporting Flawed Exam Questions  (Read 1648 times)
SCUBA

Ignore
« on: September 17, 2008, 07:49:58 PM »

Hi,

How do I report flawed exam questions?  

So far, I found 2 flawed extra questions; one which cannot be answered correctly, and another for which all 4 choices are incorrect.  

These findings were verified by a professional engineer.

I did a cursory search of this forum and didn't find that this issue had been previously posted.  If it has been posted, apologies for being redundant.

Jack
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 03:35:13 AM »

The NCVEC is charged with maintaining the question pools. They have a question pool committee who does the job. You can find their web site at www.ncvec.org.

I presume you are talking about the new pool, that just came out effective after 1 July 2008. You should review the NCVEC page on the Extra pool, as there are some notes on certain questions that have corrections, and others that were deleted.

Just out of curiosity, which questions did you find problems with?
KB3LSR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 04:21:25 AM »

Which questions did you find were incorrect?
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 04:31:01 AM »

Previous poster beat me to the reply...

However, just to add to the confusion.  VEs on the vast vast majority of the test giving VEs at the grass roots level do not judge questons as it relates to and answers as to technical matters.  

We just collect the test fees, pass out he tests, make sure that the test takers are who they say they are and do not cheat.  We just use those little plastic answer indicators that come with the testing packages to grade the tests.  We for the vast vast majority do not even look at the questions or answers as stated on the test itself.  If Xs end up in the little holes the answer is right.  IF not then its wrong.  Its that simple.

The bottom line is this.  If you want to study and know the proper answer for your own personal security feel free.  BUT when taking the test put down what the license manual says and let the National VECs fix the questions that need fixing in the next go around.

K2YO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 03:24:01 PM »

Jack,

Which questions specifically are of concern?\

Bernie
SCUBA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 01:26:42 PM »

Thanks W3HF for the link; thanks to others for replying.  

I need to report the flawed questions to the NCVEC at their website prior to posting here, in order to be respectful to them and to avoid blindsiding them.

Thanks much,
Jack
NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 06:52:58 AM »

First you might want to check that you are working from an up to date version of that exam. There have been some changes and deletions since it was first released.

http://www.ncvec.org/page.php?id=351
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 07:02:34 AM »

Not to mention that...

Even IF the questions are a bit off, it is unlikely that the National VEC is going to go thru the process of changing the quesion pools, not to mention all the VECs making up the Natl VEC changing all of their question pools as well.

Any changes made will probably come with the NEXT scheduled update of the question pool.  

Until then be the answer right or wrong, put down on the written test what the BOOK says until notified otherwise.  VEs do not in general seldomeven look at the written test questions if at all.  All they do is to make sure that that little X shows up in that hole in little blue piece of plastic we use to grade the test--x in hole answer correct/x not in hole answer wrong.
KB3LSR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 07:31:11 AM »

I just wish we had your "flawed" questions so we could try to understand if they truly are incorrect.  Also, it would help if you indicated the source of your question pool.  Did you cross-reference the official NCVEC question pool for the same errors?  Did you cross-reference the list of flawed questions from the website a previous poster listed?

Just list the questions, it isn't disrespectful.
K2YO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 07:19:33 AM »

Jack,

It's been a week now so surely you've been able to email them the flawed questions. What are the questions with the problems. Many of us would like to know.

Bernie
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2008, 07:35:02 PM »

The way to report flawed questions is to contact the Question Pool Committee (QPC):

http://www.ncvec.org/page.php?id=333

They're all active hams and easily reachable by email.

The way the system works is that the QPC prepares the question and answer pools and submits them to FCC. FCC then either approves or disapproves the submitted pools and announces an effective date. Usually the pools are revised every couple of years, or when there is a major rules change.

Mistakes do occasionally slip through, and the usual procedure when that happens is to simply declare officially that a faulty question is not to be used.

However, the VEs actually conducting the tests do not have the authority to make decisions about allegedly flawed questions. They can report 'em but not change 'em.

73 de Jim, N2EY
WB9URN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 06:14:29 PM »

I don't think he is going to tell.
5R8GQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 03:56:18 PM »

"I don't think he is going to tell."

Yeah, bummer! I wanted to hear them too!

K7AAT

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 08:57:55 PM »

"I don't think he is going to tell."

I have a sneaky suspicion that he was probably incorrect in his assessment of incorrect answers to exam questions and is probably too embarrassed to state so here.

Ed   K7AAT
NO6L

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 04:50:17 PM »

I concur. He probably found it was a typo in the study guide and is too embarrassed to admit it. As for me, "Hey, guys, I screwed up. Look at the ding-a-ling, me". Everybody gets a snicker and life goes on, it's that easy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: