Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 9V or W3 operating in Dubai or Oman  (Read 1557 times)
9V1VK

Ignore
« on: January 03, 2009, 06:12:29 PM »

I've got to work in Dubai during the second half of January.  I'll also spend a few days' vacation in Oman.

Any way to operate in either of those places using my 9v1vk or my w3LMB ?    I'd like to bring along my KX1 and operate QRP.

N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 12:26:04 PM »

Call the ARRL and ask them.  If anyone knows they would know what hoops you will have to jump thru in order to transmit in any given foreign country.  OR they can put you in contact with someone who can help you.

see

www.arrl.org
KC9ATJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 07:40:59 AM »

From what I have been able to figure out from different web sites is that you pretty much have to be a national to be able to operate in UAE.  As far as Oman, they do not issue licences for short term visits (if you were going to be there for a year or two, you might be able to get one), but you can request to be a guest op at A47RS.  There address is:

Royal Omani Amateur Radio Society
P.O.B. 981
Postal Code 113
Muscat
Sultanate Oman

You could also try to contact the UAE's IARU society (their equivelent of ARRL) and double check to see if there is anyway you can get a license.

Best of luck and 73

Joel Pelz
KC9ATJ

(also, if you are ever wanting to visit anywhere else, check out http://www.qsl.net/oh2mcn/license.htm)
WA7DET

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 10:28:47 PM »

I know for a fact that you can operate in the UAE as a visitor. I started as A61/WA7DET then A6/WA7DET (they couldn't make up their mind on the correct call format) and ended up as A61TS. You will have to have your passport and visa plus the model of radio and antenna. Take the info to the TRA (Telecommunication Regulatory Authority) and fill out an application. Note: I may be wrong on the name of the agency as I can't find my license right now. You can also contact a local and they should be able to help in the process.

Good luck,
Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: