Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Street Address Change  (Read 2106 times)
KE5JDJ

Ignore
« on: August 16, 2009, 01:13:30 PM »

My development has now been added to the 911 system (bummer) and though my physical location has not changed, my street address (number) is changing.

Do I need to file a change with the FCC?  If so, what form is necessary for the change.

Thanks,
Ken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British prime-minister (1759-1806)
KB3LSR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 01:24:28 PM »

Better safe than sorry.  You don't want your mail re-routed.

This happened to us when I was a little kid, but 20+ years later the old RR# still works.

Just go onto the ULS and file a modification, you can do it online.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 03:54:03 PM »

The FCC needs to be able to contact you via mail so if they can't get to you via your old address then you need to make a change in the database.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 06:11:21 AM »

FCC Rules and Regs for Amateur Radio state you must have an address on record to enable the FCC to contact you for whatever reason.

If your house number changes then you should go to the FCC Web Site and sign-on to register a change of mailing address.  The FCC Web Site will do this free of charge.

If you are a paid member in good standing with the ARRL then their VEC Service will file an amended address form for you also free of charge.

Alternatively, any of the VEC organizations will file a change of address for you for a small fee.

I suggest you take the FREE FCC route if at all possible.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 02:59:53 PM »

The worst problem you might have with the address changing but the house remaining the same is that the IRS gets a little antsy.  They did when the same thing happened to my wife and me back in the mid-70s.

Since the address for the income tax return wasn't the same as for the previous year, they sent us a few questions to answer and return. Very non-threatening, but ANYthing from the IRS has a pucker factor.  I answered the questions, expanded on the fact that it was the county that required the house number to be changed, and sent it back to the IRS.  Delayed our refund by about two weeks.

Pat K7KBN

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 08:28:42 AM »

Re KBN...

Better read your current ed of the FCC Rules and Regs Part 97, and I qoute---

"ยง97.23 Mailing address.
Each license grant must show the grantee\'s correct name and mailing address. The mailing address must be in an area where the amateur service is regulated by the FCC and where the grantee can receive mail delivery by the United States Postal Service. Revocation of the station license or suspension of the operator license may result when correspondence from the FCC is returned as undeliverable because the grantee failed to provide the correct mailing address. "

IF your mailing address in not correct as stated on your current license I strongly urge you to log on to the FCC Web Site and update your address (free of charge) or file the proper paper application with your local VEs to update your address to a valid mailing address.

A PO Box address is acceptable by the way as long as it is an address that you use to receive your mail.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 06:04:02 PM »

DE -

If you read my post you would have seen that this happened back in the MID-70s.  I\'ve renewed my license several times since then.

I\'ve been licensed and quite active for 50 years, and I do know the rules.

Pat K7KBN

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 03:18:49 AM »

RE KBN...

your initial statement in your post betrays you...

"The worst problem you might have with the address changing but the house remaining the same is that the IRS gets a little antsy"
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 09:42:57 PM »

DE - yes, exactly.  I\'m talking about the IRS, not the FCC.  It never was about the FCC, nor about radio at all.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 06:35:06 AM »

re KBN...

Your statement directly implies that there will be very little problems.  Which is a complete lie.  

SO YES a valid address is damn important because: the FCC and the RULES And REGULATIONS say so.

Any other implication, even HINT, otherwise is an obvious implied falsehood.
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 10:51:37 AM »

Aw, c'mon Ray, back off.

Pat didn't say that the FCC was NOT a problem. The first three responses (including yours) clearly addressed what's required to notify the FCC. Nothing he said contradicted those three.

Pat merely said "the worst problem" may be with the IRS. That's a statement of opinion, that the IRS can be harder to deal with than the FCC. You can disagree with his opinion, but you can't prove him wrong. And quite honestly, I agree with him. I'll take my chances any day on negotiating leniency with Laura Smith (over an inadvertant omission) compared with the faceless bureaucracy that composes the IRS.

Then again, all bets are off if the person consciously neglects to notify either.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 02:59:17 PM »

Maybe your "deadly eyes" need glasses.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 03:31:38 AM »

RE HF

UNLESS you think a 10,000.00 fine PER VIOLATION not to mention LOSS OF LICENSE is a petty thing then you are in the same house of complete moron with your little buddy.

I take the possibility of at least a 20,000 fine (one ten for the reason of the first letter PLUS anotner ten for not having a valid address PLUS possible other 10 thousand fines for whatever the FCC can think up AND Posible loss of license) completely, 100% GD Fn seriously.  Other than the losss of money which is absolutely GD important, the possible loss of license which I worked my ass off to get is of the highest supreme value to me and absoluely NO JOKEING MATTER AT ALL, PERIOD. The FCC and its RULES/NOT TO MENTION the possible loss of license I worked my ass off to get are NO JOKEING MATTER in my Fn damn book.

So back off your buddy?  Not no but, Hell no.   He deserves to be slapped down verbally because of his flippant attitude toward the Rules and Regs.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 05:15:16 AM »

LRZ: You are way off the deep end on this one. Nobody demonstrated a flippant attitude about the FCC regs or indicated that they should be ignored. You are just reading way too much into his IRS comment.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 07:17:09 AM »

RE PB...

I view this statement as dangerously flippant deserving of condemnation.  Sir to TRIVILIALIZE in any way shape or form any Regulation of the FCC that can result in a 10000.00 fine per offense PLUS permanent loss of license (posssibly depending on other factors) is dangerous in the extremne, sir.

OR would you like me to once again site the FCC Rules And Regs word for word which we are obligated to OBEY weither we like it or not?  You will note that it contains absolutely no humor what so ever.

HOWEVER I will be fair.  IF the foresaid flippant person openly states in post that failure to register properly a valid mailing address is a very serious matter from which will possibly result in a FCC Fine of up to 10,000.00 with absolutely NO references to any other government agency in attempt to lighten the seriousness of possible results.  Then I will back off.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: