Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying to find my dad's old C.B. callsign  (Read 21620 times)
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 10:55:55 PM »

Thanks for the help guys!

Mike KU4UV
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2008, 01:53:03 PM »

I believe that going the FOIA route may cost a bit.  Depending on the cost of research, copying and other mundane tasks, you may be looking at a couple hundred bucks.  Might be worth it, maybe not.

The government can't charge more than it costs to do the research and so forth, but they can and will charge you every cent up to that amount.

Pat K7KBN

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 10:15:06 AM »

"I believe that going the FOIA route may cost a bit. Depending on the cost of research, copying and other mundane tasks, you may be looking at a couple hundred bucks. Might be worth it, maybe not.

The government can't charge more than it costs to do the research and so forth, but they can and will charge you every cent up to that amount."

Your statement may be true for commercial users, but the FCC policies are different for other users. Just out of curiosity, have you ever requested any FCC data under the FOIA? I have, and it was free. They have a web page specifically dedicated to FOIA requests:

http://www.fcc.gov/foia/

and it states "the first 100 pages of the reproduction and the first two hours of search time shall be free of charge" for requesters that are not commercial users, educational institutions, news media, and non-commercial scientific institutions. Clearly an individual requesting information on his own or a family member's old license would not fall under those four categories. So if they can find the data in less than two hours, and there's only a page or two of duplication, it won't cost the individual anything.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 08:17:20 PM »

Good information, Steve.  I learned something!

Pat K7KBN

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KD0IBG

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 01:24:38 PM »

I got my call sign back in the 70's. KXO-8102. Don't know the exact date, but I found one of my old homemade QSL cards. My handle was The "Savage". I chose that handle because I rode an Indian motorcycle at the time. CB was fun. The coffe brakes were great.
Thi thread bring back some good memories. Good luck with finding your dad's old call sign.
The SAVAGE KXO-8102
Now known as Richard KD0IBG 73's
KF4DCY

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2013, 02:19:42 AM »

i too wish there were a database to look up old cb call signs. but i know my fathers call sign by heart. he got his in the early sixties. maybe late fifties. his call-sign was kmk4051 and handle was carolina ridge runner. till everyone started using his handle. then he changed it to domino. he was a bus driver for trailways then latter a truck driver for rea (railway exchange agency) express till it became the first enron. yes, someone on the inside took all the money and ran off with it. just like the enron case. the last one was driving for schneider trucking. he was an owner operator for them out of the charlotte office. well enough about him, it's about the callsign. and not having a database. i did a google. i did find a cb database. but when i put in my dads callsign. it came back with nothing. so it's not a well informed database. it stated that it was a world wide callsign database. well i could use many explicatives but i refrain from it.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2013, 05:39:59 AM »

...Another approach is a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to the FCC which might obligate them to research archived data which is not online.

When the excrement hit the air movement device and the CB licensing was dropped, the old records were shipped to the FCC warehouse, and I believe that that was destroyed by fire not too long ago.  In any event I doubt that the FCC has any records of CB licensing--or of any old licensing information--left.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 05:43:51 AM by K1CJS » Logged
AC6CV

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2013, 09:20:25 AM »

I know amateurs don't want to hear this. Back years ago when I saw CB license calls go away, approximately in the early 70s, I started  to become concerned when FCC started dumbing down amateur radio. Less and less requirements to get licensed. I told several of my amateur friends back in the 80s that the future of amateur radio will be just like CB. No calls, just handles, and not very many requirements. When I was first licensed in 1954 as WN8RUR there was so "guessing test" to get even a novice license. I had a lot of amateur calls since then. W8RUR, K7RIO, WB6GBR, AB6ZN, and now AC6CV. You had to draw schematics. Five, if I recall for the novice exam in 1954. No guessing on answers. You had to know the material. For those disbelievers just look at the commercial phone tickets. They ended up just issuing a lifetime license to all that were licensed. Us old timers probably won't see everything in amateur radio go away like CB but the younger generation will see it. Just an old humble opinion.
KC8MQO

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 02:40:08 AM »

My dad's was kgo6457. Still written on an old desk he had his radio on. I still have his old Lafayette radio in my shack. Dad never became a ham but he is the reason I became one. I'd see if you can find some old cb guys who might have a call book. Good luck.
N2EYE

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2013, 05:31:50 AM »

I think it's great that the son is trying to get his dads call sign from CB days.    I got my dad's   ham callsign and I'm damn proudf of it.   I wish I had a child whpo could Crry on the legacy of n2eye.     I applaud yuour sense of sense of sentimentality.   MY dad got me started in electronics   by builing kits on the kitchen tabkle.   The happiest days of my liofe (except my mariage).  Good luck on your quest. n2eye (proudly)   neil nyc,
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: