Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how long?  (Read 1032 times)
KF6NNR

Ignore
« on: October 06, 2009, 01:44:03 PM »

before i ask this question, kf6nnr is my dads member call sighn. i am am just asking a question. so dont think i just made up a call for this site. i am going to go take my test and our camping trip is a week after i take the test so i was wondering, how long does it take to see my call on the site because i want to have my call before i go camping. thanks.

kf6nnr
KB3LSR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 03:07:27 PM »

Depends on the VEC and how they process the paperwork.

When I've tested through the ARRL, it took about a week.  When I've tested through the Laurel VEC, it took a day (but that was for an upgrade).

I'm guessing it'll take a week to get the callsign up in the database.

Good luck on your test!!
KF6NNR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 03:11:05 PM »

thanks, i am really excited and am pretty confedent about passing! once again thanks.

kf6nnr
KF6NNR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 08:33:10 AM »

well today i just took my exam so i will just wait for my ticket.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 02:47:49 PM »

How long depends on the VE Team and the VEC.  

If the VE Team mails in the paperwork on the same day you take the test to their boss, the VEC, it may take a day or two for the envelope to get to the VEC.  

Then the VEC has to do their thing with the information.  This may take a day or so if the information is received on a weekend when the VEC office is closed.

The VEC then forwards the information to the FCC Office which may or may not be updateing their Amateur Records on that particular day.

In general I would give it about 7 to 10 days.  

Which is pretty good considering that when I was going up the license ladder it took at the very least 6 weeks in order to get an upgrade processed.  The FCC has speeded up the process.

Be patient.
KJ4PVF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 04:48:33 AM »

well kf6nnr (the person who posted the first post on here) is my dads call, i got mine a week or two ago and it is KJ4PVF it is nice to be able to talk to my dad when he is coming home from work.

-P.S. it took about a week to get my call, it was kind of annoying that i took the test on a friday and monday was a holiday. waiting for my call was a little taste of torture:)

-73 de KJ4PVF
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 08:21:40 AM »

KJ4PVF: -P.S. it took about a week to get my call, it was kind of annoying that i took the test on a friday and monday was a holiday. waiting for my call was a little taste of torture:)

Then imagine what it was like in the so-called good old days, when we had to wait 6 to 8 weeks for a license to arrive.

Congratulations on your new license--I hope you have a lot of fun with ham radio.
OLDFART13

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 12:09:27 PM »

KJ4PVW,

Welcome to amateur radio.  I hope you have a lot of fun with it.

I know how you feel when you have to wait for a license.  My granddaughter was the same way.  She had to wait for a week to finally get her call.  This was a couple years ago and she has KI4 call.

Now I know you when you first start reading the rest of this you're gonna be thinkin, who is this old fart tellin me stories bout how he had to walk to school in 10 feet of snow and it was uphill....both ways!  I know younger people think this way because my granddaughter thinks this way and gives me that look when I tell her these stories.  

Anyway, I had to drive two hours to the FCC office.  There was no welcome aboard or good luck when dealing with these folks.  Not like when you meet the VEs today and they are so nice.  Imagine the worse person to deal with at the DMV office and multiply that by 100.  

I was going for my General license and the first thing I had to do was take the code exam.  Here's how it was: The first thing you had to do was pass the code exam and if you didn't make it you were done for the day.  No second chance, no take the written and get a CSCE that is good for a year and try again later. Nothing, you were done, go home.  You had that long drive home with nothing.  So they take the exam paper and grade it right there and I passed.

You already know what happens if you didn't pass the code exam, but if you did pass then you get to take the written exam. After you take the exam the real fun started.  They take the exam paper and put in an envelope and tell you the results will be sent to the mailing address provided on the application.  That's right, they did not inform us if we passed or not so we had the long drive home and after a couple months we get an envelop in the mail from the FCC.  I remember just standing there and looking at it.  I was afraid to open it.  I had waited all this time just to see if I passed the written exam or not.  Well, I did pass.  This is just to show you how long we had to wait just to find out the results of the written exam.  I know of folks who had to wait 2 months just to find out they didn't pass.  They had to start all over again.  Drive to the FCC office and guess what....take the CW exam again and if they passed....well you know the rest of the procedure.

Of course we didn't have Internet back then and the postal system was a lot slower, but the pain of waiting was the same then as it is now, it was only longer then.

73 and glad to have you onboard.
Steve,

PS, I like the picture on your QRZ profile. It is funny.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: