Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Louis Maxwell ex K5CEV, ex KP4AQR  (Read 14332 times)
K5ILW

Ignore
« on: February 07, 2007, 10:52:03 AM »

Louis G. Maxwell was an "Elmer" to many young hams in Carlsbad, NM around 1956-1960.  I lost track of him several years ago.  I don't think he's currently licensed.  Anyone know anything about him?

Brad  K5ILW
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 12:29:54 PM »

There's a Lewis D. Maxwell (KB5HPT) living in El Paso. I wonder if that is his son??

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

ARCTICRAIL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 04:41:54 PM »

Hi Brad,

Stumbled across this during a Google search for information on Grandpa Louie's call sign.  (should have started with Mom  Tongue   )  After Carlsbad, the family made stops in many places before he retired from Carbide in the mid 70's.  My memory tells me that he was still active up until he passed away in 1978 in West Virginia... not far from where his Ham hobby started.  Although he attempted to interest one of the grandkids..it took over 30 years for it to "stick" and I've recently been studying for my Technician License. 

This is never the response anyone wants but sometimes its still nice to know that loved ones are remembered.

Best Regards,

Kenny (a grandson)
AA6RR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 05:50:08 AM »

It looks like he lived in Ohio before settling in W. VA. Here are some copies from the callbooks:
(just highlight the link-copy and paste into your browser-don't try to use as a direct link)

http://www.riverwalk-hoa.com/K5CEV_Call Area 5 - Fall 1957.pdf
http://www.riverwalk-hoa.com/WB8ABH_Call Area 8 - Winter 1977-78.pdf
http://www.riverwalk-hoa.com/WB8ABH_Call Area 8 - Winter 1982-83.pdf
ARCTICRAIL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 07:23:53 PM »

I remember the Robson Rd. address well...it was the last time I saw the full-on ham shack in the basement.  There were many changes from there until he passed away.  When we last spent a summer with him in Parkersburg, it was just a single transceiver with a long wire antenna in the attic as I remember.

Also thanks a bunch for the additional call sign, I've been getting information from Mom...she knew there were a few of them but could only remember a couple.  We have a date to dig through some old photos the next time I'm out to visit as she's sure she has one of Louie on the air.  If we can find it, I'll be sure to post it up.

Appreciate you taking the time to post up the links...it's nice to remember things!

K5ILW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 01:23:56 PM »

Kenny and AA6RR,

Thanks for the additional information.  I wasn't able to access the links, I guess they're broken now.

Kenny, would you drop me a note to my personal email address?  I'd like to ask a couple more questions.

Thanks,

Brad Cottingham  K5ILW
brad2006@bradbev.com
K5ILW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 03:59:54 PM »

And tell you a little about ham radio in the 50's and your grand dad "Max" as we knew him.

Brad
ARCTICRAIL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 06:36:33 PM »

Looking forward to it...email to follow.

And...I passed my Technician test last night.  Waiting for the listing to show up...after that, the next thing on the list is seeing if his original call sign is still available.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 07:22:48 PM by ARCTICRAIL » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: