Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: K4NBN--No Bad News....  (Read 59132 times)
K3NRX

Ignore
« on: August 15, 2007, 09:01:14 AM »

Do any of you guys recall K4NBN (no bad news). His QSL card was a picture of his fine lady called Magnolia Blossom, who was quite, well, how shall we put it, endowed. Whew, that was a QSL for the ages!!!!!...I remember being told by my ham buddies at the time to work this guy, and get the qsl card...They would not tell me why....so I found him and worked him way back in the summer of 1987....and got the card....I nearly lost my lunch when it arrived!!!!.....Too funny!!!...I wonder what ever happened to old Del down in the Okeefokee swamps, with his "eat more possum" plus other assorted comments...A real character on the bands, for sure! K4NBN...The stuff of Ham Radio legends!!!

Vince P
KA3NRX

KC2PTA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 08:24:11 PM »

looked him up, he is silent key per ki3bf or something. look it up on qrz, look at his email adress, it tells all, sorry to hear this.
N6UK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 05:41:11 PM »

Del was quite a character, in fact. Your qsl must already fall in the time described in the 1998 W6VIO bulletin:
"Have you seen the QSL from K4NBN? It is a nude picture of his wife, Magnolia Blossom, who weighs 643 pounds! He runs Del's Nudist Colony in Razorville, Florida."

I have two cards from him from the late 70ies to my DL call when he was always hanging out on 21.343 MHz. One card on the "eat more possum" theme, the other with an "I shot the bull" staging.

vy 73
Fritz
N0XE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 10:17:54 AM »

I remember old Del quite well, I also worked him in the late 70's and received that QSL card, remember showing it at the local ham club when I was stationed with  the Air Force in Alaska, it got quite a reaction to say the least, hi, I remember him telling me he was running two watts from a Ten Tec Argonaut and a wire strung out in the swamp. He was 40 over S-9, conditions were good but I don't think they were that good. He loved to talk to us Yankees as he called every  hams who did not have a 4 or 5 call sign  and dog them about Sherman's march and  the burning of Atlanta, it was one of his favorite subjects,  He was a character, and to be honest fun to talk too, not a bad operator, nor caused any problems, just a ham who liked to put fun in to his hobby and was proud to be a good old southern Boy. Sometimes I miss things like this in ham radio. Sorry to hear he is a SK, 73 Jim N0XE
G8VHI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 03:25:56 PM »

I remeber there were a number of QSL cards from Del all very funny. He told us he ran a Nudist site a Aligator farm. He called all folks from UK Cousin. I heard he moved to a Condo. However I do remember as a youg SWL listening to 21.342. he was always fun to listen to. A real fun guy! Reg G8VHI
W4HMV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 10:53:36 PM »

I worked Del a long time ago, between 1975-1978, on two meters, while I was living in Montgomery, AL.  He was an aero mobile as I recall and from our brief QSO, I surmised he was quite a character. Have never forgotten the "K4NoBadNews" phonetics!  Sorry to learn that he is an SK.

Bill, W4HMV
W2JLB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 11:29:03 AM »

Wow sorry to hear that he's a SK.

My original call was KB2NBN and I "borrowed" his No Bad News phonetics when I had a problem sending my call sign.
N2CJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 06:28:08 PM »

I believe his antenna was "1420 ft of barbed wire" to be exact.
N1CX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 10:05:49 AM »

I ran across a K4NBN card last night. I had saved the original envelope and everything. Eat more possum! Meet me on 21342! LOL
KC0LBH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 06:53:12 AM »

I am to young to know him but my dear friend W0DEX has one of his magnolia blossom QSL cards ! you would never see that now days!!
N2CJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 08:55:09 PM »

If anyone can scan the card and email it to me, I would love to have it.
N4CUZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 10:55:09 AM »

This is a late response, but no ham was better than Dell. I knew Dell for over 30 years.  He used to drop by my shack, since he lived a few miles south of me.

You would not believe who he really was!  You really would not. He could have been the Mayor of Razorville, but only had one pick-up truck on blocks, and the best "long War" antenna I have ever heard, a rusty old fence. ;-)

Magnolia Blossom was always good for a dozen eggs, beef jerky that passed for bacon, and real sho'nuff potatoes at any time of day, so I had to show up hungry when I returned the favor.
KA8RIZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 07:09:35 PM »

Oh my. A thread on K4NBN!

Del was my very first contact, even before I got my license.
It was back in the fall of 1982 when I met Mike, K8ZUK who helped me learn the code and get my Novice ticket. One day he let me make a contact on 15 meter SSB using his call (of course with him sitting next to me) and that was when I made contact with Del. As I was only 15 years old at the time, Del sent me a "clean" QSL card. It was simply Del holding a microphone in one hand and a pistol in the other aimed at a large bovine. "Shooting the Bull" was of course the message!  Grin

Several years passed since my contact with Del and besides Ham radio, I got heavily into antique radio collecting. A local friend (Linus) who also collected radios had a huge interest in E. H. Scott radios. Linus' "Holy Grail" was to find was a Scott Philharmonic in a Gothic Grande cabinet. Well, in 1988, he found one in Florida. It was February 8th 1988 when Linus and I made the trek down from Ohio to get it. Along the way I happened to look at the envelope of the letter sent to him in correspondence over the Scott radio. The return address was... You guessed it! None other than K4NBN Del Popwell! I was in amazement over the coincidence!

Well, Linus and I made our way to Del's home and he got his prized radio. It was very enjoyable talking with Del and I got to see his, umm, other QSL cards including his "Magnolia Blossom" card!  Shocked In fact I think he did give me one on that visit.
Del was a generous man. He evidently felt bad that Linus went home with a radio and I didn't, so he gave me an old 1950s Zenith Royal 790 which Del used as a navigation aid when flying his Air Taxi service. His card is still pasted inside the back cover.

I'm sorry to hear that Del is no longer with us. He will be always remembered by those of us who met him.

-Steve
KA8RIZ
K3ZOR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 08:54:45 PM »

Found this on a Google search from the Jacksonville Times-Union. Del certainly sounds like he was a very interesting man and radio operator. I may even have a pic of the DC-3 that he piloted from my visit to the Air and Space Museum a few years ago.

POPWELL Del - W. Popwell, 88, passed away on Friday, August 19, 2005. He was born in Clanton, Alabama and lived most of his life in Jacksonville, Florida. He served in World War II in the Army Air Corps as a flight instructor of the Steerman Biplane in the States. While a copilot with Eastern Airlines, he copiloted the Eastern DC3 airplane that now hangs in the Air and Space Museum in the Smithsonian Institute in Washington D.C. He was one of the first managers of Herlong Airport on the Westside. He owned the Florida Realty Company where he was a licensed Realtor. After retiring from real estate he owned his own Charter Flight Company for many years. He was an avid ham radio operator and answered to K4NBN (NO BAD NEWS). Preceded in death by his twin brother, Bud Popwell and his wife, Virginia Doyle Popwell, he is survived by his two sons: Doyle Wade Popwell (Kay), and Lee Popwell (Elizabeth); five grandchildren: Jill Popwell, Crissy Popwell, Brooks Popwell, Lisa Popwell, and Ben Popwell; three nieces: Shiela Popwell, Pat Humphreys (J.D.) and Irene Lawver (Steve); and three great nieces and three great nephews. A memorial service will be held Saturday, August 27, 2005, at 10:00 a.m. at Grace Community Church of Mandarin, 10938 Hood Road S., Jacksonville, FL 32257. In lieu of flowers the family request any memorials be made to the American Cancer Society, 1430 Prudential Drive, Jacksonville, FL 32207 or The Gideons, Beaches Camp, P.O. Box 330952, Atlantic Beach, FL 32233. Please Sign the Guestbook @ Jacksonville.com
N4CUZ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 09:23:55 PM »

I was just going through my 1970's log books, which used to be required for you newer hams that were not on the air before the 1980's.  You had to list your mode, time of beginning and ending of transmission, the names of any third party traffic, power, mobile or base, and, well, just about everything but your DNA!

Then, I noticed that the first person I worked in 1980 was Dell -- K4NBN (No Bad News). I looked at my post above.  I left a lot out.  I had my business located with a tower that held a Cushcraft ATB-34, and still does. Regardless of aluminum oxide and some mold, that antenna still tunes to 1.2 to 1.  It was erected in November of 1979, and the date was put into the concrete at its base -- all 5 feet deep of it, with a ten foot ground rod underneath.  It also has a grounded grid that is still in good shape.  We no longer occupy that dwelling, a decision that I regret, but we greatly outgrew it. I should have kept it as a satellite office.

Dell dropped by one rainy day with some of his QSL cards.  Everyone that worked there, and most people who visited, were hams. I will always miss Dell, and wish that I had recorded him a lot more often.

73, Dell, wherever you are.  Your signals are in the universe forever!

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: