Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS-820S capable of MARS Mod?  (Read 1810 times)
KE7CUR

Ignore
« on: March 28, 2005, 10:11:27 AM »

Hello,  I just got my AF Mars training license and also picked up a Kenwood TS-820S HF radio.  It does not appear to be able to transmit on MARS frequencies and the only mod I have found is for receive only.

Is there a MARS mod for this radio?

Gary
KA5S

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 04:53:40 PM »

As I recall, the TS-820 used an analog VFO, permeability tuned. It covered the Amateur bands plus some extra at top and bottom ends and MARS frequencies *near* the 75 and 40 meter bands were not a problem. However, many other MARS frequencies remain inaccessible with these vintage rigs unless you recrystal and realign (and give up) one of the Amateur band's coverage.

It is possible to widen VFO coverage, though at the expense of the analog dial calibration.

Cortland
KA5S
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 01:47:02 PM »

Gary,

The best thing to do is contact your State MARS Director for the name of the person who keeps the modification details. Converting these older radios to MARS usage is often not worth the time and effort, even when it can be done.

Lon, NNN0OOR / NNN0GAW ONE MDE
Proudly serving those who serve
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: