Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: End of MARS????  (Read 3234 times)
K3PFW

Ignore
« on: August 10, 2004, 09:48:04 AM »

Seems to be rumours floating around that DoD will not fund MARS in FY-05, anybody heard this or better yet have definitive information on the subject.
Later, 73
John
AFA1SQ/AFF1DE/AFF1P
WTF52

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 10:00:16 AM »

Haven't heard anything about it, but I'll check further.  I do know that Army MARS will be closing it's European Gateway station, but that's because the morale and welfare mission of MARS is virtually non-existent now, and that was basically the only requirement for MARS overseas.

Dwight
NNN0TPR/NNN0ASI EIGHT
W3JKS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 06:27:37 AM »

PLEASE stop spreading these rumors.  They are not true. In fact, NETCOM just funded a new suite of equipment for some of the OCONUS Gateway stations.

It is true that the European gateway may be going down, but MARS members spreading all the BS they hear just make the MARS management's job that much harder.  Writing letters to Congressmen - members don't realize how much time it takes out of a MARS Chief's day to deal with them.  It is usually unproductive too.

john
AAT3BF/AAM3O/AAA9AC
WB6LNH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 03:35:43 PM »

i do not want to pop anyones bubble, but mars is dead, and it just won't go away and that is sad, in as much as i have been in navy mars for over 30 yrs
and ran mars stations in rvn
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 05:26:56 PM »

I just love you old geezers who think something is dead just because it doesn't work the way it did 30 years ago.

I know an awful lot of 25+ year NAVMARCORMARS members who would disagree with your opinion.

My last full year as NNN0GAW, MDE logged over 11,000 hours of participation from 35 active members.

WTF52

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 08:22:01 AM »

MARS is not dead.  I think that perception comes from the many (primarily those who are not, and will not get involved) who still identify MARS with morale and welfare traffic, and of course, that's not our primary mission anymore.

Navy/Marine Corps MARS is alive and well and has a robust ecom mission supported by hundreds of active volunteers.  Maybe the naysayers should become involved and see first hand.

Dwight NNN0TPR

NNN0ASI EIGHT
WB6LNH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2004, 03:53:04 PM »

NC net 1800 daily, check in, no traffic and only admin traffic to pass and that is infrequently...
been doin this a long long time, and did it on active duty for many years and if you were in mars prior to 1990 you handled traffic that i took from okinawa as chief operator of the largest mars station in the world...  146 acres of antennas, two 100 foot towers, three crank up towers and five rhombics and too many dipoles to count  dec  1976, we passed over 350000 pieces of rtty traffic and also did the COO plan on a monthly basis... I know of what i speak NNN0IRA, chief operator of N0MPN, N0MSD, N0MTP, N0TEF, in fact my station ran the very very first afloat phone patch
we ran over 150 calls a day from okinwawa and japan..so i beg to differ, check in to nets that do nothing is not very appealing, but you know, i still check in////I also had one of three private yachts in 1997 thru 2001 with the call sign of NNN0CAU and checked in to the 0900 region traffic net from all over the caribbean...
rick/wb6lnh
bt

NNNN
WTF52

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2004, 11:12:19 AM »

Nick,

Good for you, but what have you done lately, besides "checking in"?  There's lots of work to be done in today's MARS.

It's fun to wallow in past glories, but the future is NOW.  Get involved, and that includes doing more than checking in with "no traffic".

Besides, if you hate MARS so much, why do you belong?

Dwight
NNN0TPR/NNN0ASI EIGHT
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2004, 07:38:32 PM »

In the early 70's I was CHOP at NAS Cecil Field, N0NIU. We used to handle a boat load of traffic via MPN and MSD. All of my funding came from Special Service (recreation funds) and squadron personnel (hams mostly) were assigned extra duties at the MARS station because of the morale traffic handled for deployed personnel.

I would expect that without morale traffic, the funds and personnel would be very difficult to come by these days. It would be a very hard sell to get Special Services and squadron COs to support a backup communications system.

I stayed involved with MARS for several years after I left active duty. I did a couple of 2-week reserve duty stints with NAV when they were in Arlington. I ended up having to resign when it was decided that only participation in the HF net counted towards minimum participation and I didn't get home from work in time to meet that net.

Anyway, glad to see that there are still volunteers keeping the watch with MARS.
ROLLERSKATE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2004, 01:40:33 AM »

Folks,

I can't confirm the passing of MARS in most parts of the world but since I am assigned to 2d Signal Brigade in Germany, I can definately state that the station we operate in Edingen-Neckharhausen, Germany (43d Signal Battalion, outside Heidelberg) is in the process of being closed down.  We have received direction from NETCOM to ship a lot of components to other locations for use in different MARS stations, but the one in Edingen-Neckharhausen will soon be history.
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2004, 08:34:37 PM »

Old news. This has been in the works for several months. Has nothing to do with anything except the downsizing of our troop committment in Germany.

N0MUD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2004, 09:47:35 AM »

Well I know that Navy MARS doesn't care about it's people.  I've operated NAVY MARS onboard the USS Enterprise CVAN-65, USS Ajax AR-6, and was Chief MARS Op onboard the USS Scamp SSN-588 during Unitas 78 so I have experiance.  I retired from the Navy in 1985 and got my HAM license in 1987.  I inquired to MARS 2004 about getting back in and was given the appropriate paperwork to fill out which I did and was assigned my Tango call sign: NNNØYQX-T.  I was proud of that call sign even tho it was a Tango I was told that there have been changes since I last was involved in MARS and I accepted that.  I was told I would receive all the required documentation I needed to study and become aquainted with so I could drop off the Tango.  I even checked into several MARS nets but not until I listened to see how the check-ins worked.  So I waited and waited and waited for my NTP-8 and other training documentation and received nothing.  One day I checked into the net and everyone was told to standby to receive an Amtor message and since I wasn't setup to do that yet I turned down my radio and went downstairs to get something from the freezer.  Now for me to go downstairs I really have to because I am disabled.  While I was downstairs my phone rang and it was the WY/CO MARS section manager and he asked me what I was doing and I told him.  He said he has been calling and calling and calling me and that I had NO authority to leave the net.  He chewed my butt out and I told him how am I supposed to know what I can and can't do I've NOT received anything that tells me what I can and can't do.  So I begged for the required documentation and still nothing so one day I went into the MARS website and got some email addressess of various MARS officials and sent them all an email wanting to know why I've NOT received any documentation yet telling me all about MARS, I hadn't even received any Welcome aboard by the WY/CO section manager.  Well the manager got ahold of me one day and again commenced to chew my butt out for jumping the CHAIN OF COMMAND.  I said what are you talking about and he said you sent an email to various MARS Officials and I said yes but I've received nothing from you or anybody else telling me what I can and can't do so I was just asking for some help.  At that point I decided that the MARS Community didn't need my services anymore and I sent an email to the same MARS Officials and told them to take my Tango call sign back.  Wouldn't you know it they responded post haste to my email and said OK your no longer a MARS operator.  Wow a quick response to me quiting but no response to me getting any documentation to help me become a valued member of the MARS community.  OH WELL!!!!!  If this is the way they treat new people then I guess MARS is going nowhere but down.  In this day and age of cell phones, emails where is MARS going to be when the need arises.  All the times that I checked into the MARS nightly nets I never heard anyone passing traffic or never heard anyone talking about traffic.  The check in consisted of everyone checking into the net, welcoming new MARS operators and that was it.  What ever happened to the MARS phone calls that I've made to the states from overseas operators like I've done mainly onboard the USS Scamp SSN-588 a fast attack submarine.  Nightly I would set up the MARS freqs on the ships radio and would make contacts with stateside MARS stations and I would make calls for my fellow shipmates on the submarine.  Again in this day and age of cell phones and emails I see MARS sinking down to Davy Jones Locker.

73's to all and I hope that 2005 will be a great year for everyone and including the world.

Mike Dassero, NØmud
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2004, 08:47:02 PM »

Mike,

Sorry you had the bad experience, but it is totally unfair to judge ALL of NAVMARCORMARS from your one experience.

Too bad you weren't assigned an elmer. He could have saved you some grief by explaining the little things, like not leaving the net without permission and so forth.

If you want to move to Maryland, we'll try to treat you a little better. Smiley

Lon NNN0OOR / NNN0GAW ONE
KD7EZE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2004, 07:15:58 AM »

Mike--

I had a similar experience with Army MARS. I got my Tango callsign and a couple of newsletters written some type of coded BS that was not understandable. I was told to participate in the nets, but wasn't given any frequencies. No training material was ever sent. Then one day, I received an email telling me I was being dropped for non-participation. Non-participation in what? I never received anything telling me what I was supposed to do, or any training information. What a bunch of losers!

MARS IS DEAD
MARS IS DEAD
MARS IS DEAD

With no support from the administration, how can they expect anyone to become a member? Oh well, it's their loss.
KB8NJH

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2005, 09:11:30 PM »

Sorry you guys had a bad experience...Mine was different. I was assigned a trainer...many copies
of updated training manuals...e-mails daily from my
trainer...numerous phone calls. Fellow members checking
up on me...Region 2 Air Force...These guys have showed
me NOTHING so far that does not indicate a class act..
They cut you no slack untill it is right, and give you
the help to get it done.....My CPU....my radio....
my antennas....even my pencils and paper....Even if
there was a real funding cut...Who cares...AFT2KA

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: