Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MARS frequencies  (Read 18518 times)
KC9GPJ

Ignore
« on: January 20, 2006, 07:17:33 PM »

I am interested in mars(only 15 though). I asked a friend what frequencies he operates on, but I was told that he can't tell me. Can you guys not tell me either, or was he just taking precations cuz we were on the air?
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 08:47:29 PM »

MARS policy, per NTP8, is to publish only certain frequencies as noted in the above cited publication.  All other frequencies and other network related information is held as confidential to accredited MARS only.

Dennis KG4RUL
NNN0FAE SC
NNN0GBS FIFTEEN
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 06:51:46 AM »

Andrew:

The NTP8 document Dennis referred to relates to Navy-Marine Corps MARS only, however the matching documents for Army and Air Force MARS have the same restrictions.

With the exception of three or four nationally monitored frequencies, all MARS allocation information is restricted to MARS members only.

Thanks for the interest.

Lon - NNN0OOR / NNN0GAW THREE
MDE Navy-Marine Corps MARS
Proudly Serving Those Who Serve

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 11:55:10 AM »

I'm a retired Army MARS member,
but the Army age was 14. I remember
hand carrying my application to COL Ted(SK),
long time VA SMD,on my 14th birthday.

Might check and see if it has changed.

73 de Ronnie
Special Status, Life Member
US Army MARS
AD4MJF, ACM4MJF, AAA9AO, AAR4LG

Op at AB8AT, A6USA, AA4WDF
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 04:42:08 PM »

Ronnie:

The current minimum age for all three services is 18.

Lon - NNN0OOR / NNN0GAW THREE

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KL0S

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 06:50:24 PM »

The Army MARS program will allow applicants who are 17 years of age with the signature of a parent or guardian.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 07:50:05 AM »

That's interesting as all the non-service-specific MARS pamphlets I have seen says 18.

FWIW, I am aware of very few late-teen Navy MARS members that have completed Tango training. We have had several 18-19 yo applicants in Maryland/DC/Delaware over the last six or seven years and not one of them completed the program.

All of them dropped out when they discovered there was actual work to gain membership status and ongoing participation requirements. Many of these folks are relatively new hams with a "I want to join something" mentality. Not necessarily wrong in and of itself, but not the attitude needed for MARS, as far as I am concerned.

Lon - NNN0OOR / NNN0GAW THREE (ex GAW and GAW ONE)

WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 08:19:45 AM »

Interesting, 17 would make sense
as that is the age that you can join
the Regular Army.  I guess what with
the lack of Army MARS stations,
giving folks a 3 year headstart
to have ops ready to go to work in
a MARS station when they enlist
isn't as necessary as it once was.

I did my 6 months in the bush as
an infantryman (C 4/12, 199th BDE)and
then, as an Affiliate member, was able
to get a transfer to AB8AT to finish
my tour as a MARS op.  Hand carried
my 1049 from Company right on up to
Pentagon east to MACV J-6 (I think his ham
call was WA4JOT or something like that).
Anyway ham radio is a real leveler, and
I, a PFC grunt, got to sit in the nice
leather chairs in the Colonel's office
and discussed my prior Army MARS
experience and where I wanted to go.
I picked the IIFFV station at LBJ and
he said OK and signed off and my orders
came through in two days.  

73 de Ronnie
AI4KK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 06:23:36 AM »

We had looked into MARS as a family thing (4 of our family are hams; myself, my wife, and 2 sons ages 13 and 16) and since we already have the required NTIA-compliant gear. We were told at first that the age limit was 18, but were later contacted and told that the 16yo could join as soon as he was 17 but could not deploy anywhere away from home (Even though he spent a week in Southern MS). Shortly after that, I was asked to take a training position at the ARES district level and we declined MARS membership partially due to a lack of time, but also because it was not something we could all do.

As it is, we are all very active in Civil Air Patrol (very similar to MARS in many ways) and ARES. You may wish to look into CAP yourself as 15 is a good age to get involved; you still have several years to put on a lot of rank before peing forced out of the cadet program by old age at 21.

The MARS training is good training for formal net operations and Civil Air Patrol is a close second, but only because there isn't as much formal traffic. We make up for it in other ways though with real-world search and rescue and disaster relief assignments. You can get more information about your local CAP by going to http://www.cap.gov and click on join or searching Google for <your city> "civil air patrol".

By the way, CAP has the same policies regarding their frequency information since we are all using frequencies more or less borrowed from the military and they are considerd as "For Official Use Only".
WR8D

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2006, 04:01:07 AM »

Discussion of mars freq's is forbidden. Special codes are used infact to tell one to go to a differant freq such as go to "2 romeo echo". Airforce mars has a rather thick book called the mod with all references listed as to frequency "designators". The security of these are maintained and never discussed on the air or anywhere else for that matter that someone could over hear. The reason being, in times of trouble one must be able to go to a frequency and not be followed by others not intended to hear the transmissions. In this day and time with national security on everyones mind its an even more important subject. WR8D
KB9TME

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 03:53:12 PM »

Just a note that being active duty Navy and working with communications.  If the Navy had any worry at all of MARS comms being monitored you'd have encryption gear.  Then again the Navy isn't going to waste money on getting clearances for an EKMS program.  If there is anyone serious about monitoring MARS they'll have interception gear that could find the frequencies anyway, that or to just save time and money they'll get someone to join MARS and send copies of all the freqs and traffic.  There's a reason Navy comm centers are vaults.  
W4CLQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 07:57:47 PM »

Don't know if these freqs are still good....

USAF MARS

All transmissions in USB

Region 2 (AL FL GA KY NC SC TN VA WV)
Net Control Station: AGA2LA (VA)
Priary ightFrequency: 3299 Khz "Romeo Delta"
Seconary Day/Nite Frequency: 4580 Khz "Romeo Echo"
Primay DayFrequncy: 7313.5 Khz "Romeo Foxtrot"

Misc Othe USAF MARS Frequencies :
4832 4872 6996 7632 14390.5 Khz

RTTY (10/75N):
7633.5 7832.4 14392.5Khz

Pages: [1]   Go Up